• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Truman Show (movie) ads & Radio ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe radio ads could be integrated into the songs - for example - "Smoke on the Water" - a (probably computer generated) musical interlude (matching the style of the song) with a voiceover that says "smoke detectors on sale at Z-Mart" and then back to the original song.

Using this method, a radio station could claim that they have no ad breaks, just continuous music.

Kirk Bayne

It's against the law to incorporate advertising into copyrighted music without the copyright owners' permission.

Given the current situation that exists between the recording industry and radio, where the recording industry is trying to get radio to pay a percentage of its revenue to labels and artists, it seems doubtful radio would get permission to do this.

Good Lord..:rolleyes:
C'mon, Kelly A... Open your mind a little! Let's take the timeless romantic soul classic "Turn off the Lights" by Teddy Pendergrass. Lyrics are in black, inserted VO comments throughout the song intended to eliminate spot breaks are in blue bold:

Turn off the lights and light a candle (Yankee candles, on sale this week at Bed, Bath and Beyond!)
Tonight I'm in a romantic mood, yeah
Let's take a shower, shower together (shower gel, 1/2 off at the Beauty Spot!)
I'll wash your body and you'll wash mine, yeah (loofah sponges and wash cloths, all in stock at Linens Plus!)
Rub me down in some hot oils, baby, yeah (massage oils, specially priced this week at Mickeys!)
And I'll do the same thing to you
Just turn off the lights, come to me (all task lighting, 30% off at Lowe's!)
Girl, I wanna give you a special treat, you're so sweet (come to Laura's for our expanded selection of candies and cakes)
Turn off the lights and let's get cozy (cozy fleece blankets, see this week's ad from Jennifer's for details!)
See, you're the only one in the world that I need

Last edited:
My radio ad idea was also partially inspired by a comment by a TV critic about the TV shows NBC was coming up with in the late 1970s (Supertrain etc) - the critic wrote that the NBC shows were so shallow/silly that Mrs. Olsen could just walk into a scene and start making Folgers coffee (casually mentioning the brand name and how good the coffee is) for the other characters, no need for an ad break.

Kirk Bayne

Mrs. Olsen could just walk into a scene and start making Folgers coffee (casually mentioning the brand name and how good the coffee is) for the other characters, no need for an ad break.

That's a very different thing. It's called "product placement," and shows do it a lot. For many years, Coke paid to have the judges on American Idol drink Coke from very brightly labeled custom cups. You will also see it in movies. You'll see product placement identified in the credits. That's harder to do on the radio, and illegal to do in licensed music.

Sure, IIRC, the 1979 James Bond movie "Moonraker" was criticized for having a lot of product placements (I still like this movie, and also "Die Another Day")

Kirk Bayne

I did hear one ad that may qualify...during this linked show last night on KCMO FM, there was a short musical interlude (probably to transition from the previous song BPM to the next song BPM), during this specially created short music segment, a voice only ad was run (for a local KC business), the ad didn't overlap either the previous song or the next song.

Kirk Bayne

That's a very different thing. It's called "product placement," and shows do it a lot. For many years, Coke paid to have the judges on American Idol drink Coke from very brightly labeled custom cups. You will also see it in movies. You'll see product placement identified in the credits. That's harder to do on the radio, and illegal to do in licensed music.
I thing the most widespread such placement is done by Apple for its computers. While Apple Mac computers have about 13% of the computer market (up slightly this year) they seem to appear in at least half the computer visuals on TV shows and in movies.

I thing the most widespread such placement is done by Apple for its computers. While Apple Mac computers have about 13% of the computer market (up slightly this year) they seem to appear in at least half the computer visuals on TV shows and in movies.
And of course, on Apple TV productions, nobody ever uses anything else, and there are lots of lingering shots of iPhones sitting on tables, iPhones being carried by a character, messages appearing on iPhones, and so on. It didn't bother me, until I noticed it, and now I struggle to notice anything else while watching Apple TV!

I first noticed product placement to "humor" a movie studio owner in the Universal movie Sneakers - Universal was then owned by Matsushita/Panasonic and in one scene, the camera zoomed in and lingered for a short time on Panasonic brand headphones (IIRC, a Sony product was also shown briefly in the movie).

Kirk Bayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom