• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Transporting audio or mpx over large distance?

Let's say I need to feed my transmitter which is about 500m away. The transmitter is situated in a controlled environment, sort of like a datacentre. If wireless is not an option what would be the best way to achieve the best result in terms of quality and reliability? Should I use plain audio (degrading audio), audio over IP (network reliability) , or MPX (see audio)?

The lines are open and suggestions are welcome ;D

Way way back we fed a tranmitter 2 miles away with audio (before the days of digital). Six lines (left, right, control/moniotoring). If I remember correctly we had to equalize the lines for high frequency roll off but that was it. But it was a low power transmitter so no feedback issues into the lines. Sometimes simpler may be better.

What is the "path" from the studio to the transmitter over those 500m? Is it something where you can nail up fiber?

I would put some form of box that can generate PCM and then Fiberlink transformers to run it on that and convert back to AES at the transmitter site. If you have fiber or can install it.

OR

I haven't tried it, but I'll bet that if you fed composite audio into a composite video input of one of the Fiberlink models it would spit out fine on the other end. You need flat and no phase shift from 0-100kHz, composite video is a 6MHz signal... so it theory it should work. Anyone tried it yet? I have a use for it if it does work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom