• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Translator/LPFM licenses applications?

Is anyone keeping an online list of what AM stations have applied for Translators in the Boston area?

Anyone keeping an online list of LPFM applications in the Boston area?

ANd...is there an online list of who has been granted LPFM's & Translators?

Seems there were a slew of them...and I am losing track. ;-)

Thanks!

This may help but you need to be a Fybush subscriber to see these, I believe

http://www.fybush.com/nerw-20160202/

http://www.fybush.com/nerw-20160209/

Note that there may have been changes since this was published in Feb
(Partial summary, see columns for more)--Translator MOVES
WJIB 740, WROL 950 and WILD 1090 all applied for 106.1
(Now we know WJIB got 101.3, WROL got 100.3, WILD should be getting 106.1)

WLLH 1400 and WCCM 1110 both applied for 98.9, WCEC 1110 seeks 92.1
From latter column:
>>Bob Bittner's WJIB (740) escaped that 106.1 MX group by refiling for 101.3 instead as Bittner seeks to move his translator W252BT from sister station WJTO

For LPFMs he may have had previous columns about filings in the area. There have been moves recently like a religious 91.5 in Rockport moving to 88.5, with a new 91.5 planned
for UMASS in Gloucester I believe

Last edited:
Is WILD going to be repeating the Chinese programming on the FM translator?

Can't wait for Bittner's programming to be heard on FM up north!

Which UMass campus is putting in a new station in Gloucester? Lowell?

Doesn't WUMB already cover Gloucester with WNEF?

UMass does not give a rats about WUML Lowell, and if they could find a way to wrestle control away from the students without the hassle of the last 2 public fiascos ( letting a for profit newspaper use it in AM drive, and the Christopher Lydon cluster F and the proposed communications program ) they would pull the plug on the current operation and simulcast WUMB.

There is no need for WUMB to be controlling so many FM's in the Boston market .... their ratings and programming are nothing spectacular.

I lost all respect for them when they grabbed 91.7 when WPAA went dark instead of letting WUML change their pattern which was highly nulled towards Andover to protect pre-existing WPAA .

Also when Ed Perry and friends tried to get 91.7 iirc in MArshfield for a local non profit, U Mass screwed them over and grabbed it and for what?

Screw U mASS Boston

Doesn't WUMB already cover Gloucester with WNEF?

Because it's nulled (somewhat) to the south, WNEF can be heard marginally in Gloucester, but I'd guess that what they would be really trying to do with a translator from Gloucester would be to shoot the signal across the water to the lower North Shore where WMWM, Salem cuts out both the southern fringe of WNEF and (via adjacent) the northern fringe of WUMB, Boston.

WUMB tried this once before by broadcasting on translator 101.5 W268AM, Gloucester for a little while about ten years ago, but that translator now rebroadcasts WERS.

Last edited:
No; WNEF is co-channel with Salem State College (or is it University now?). Cape Ann is a major hole in WUMB's coverage area.

In my experience, most colleges and universities don't know what to do with radio stations. Boston University's WBUR is a rare exception, and even it wasn't always so. I understand that in John Silber's time the station was ordered to devote much of its day to classical music, solely because that was Silber's personal taste.

Salem State my alma mater is indeed a university.WMWM deals with not only WNEF to its north, but pirates on 91.7
to the southwest.

In my experience, most colleges and universities don't know what to do with radio stations. Boston University's WBUR is a rare exception, and even it wasn't always so. I understand that in John Silber's time the station was ordered to devote much of its day to classical music, solely because that was Silber's personal taste.

I don't know whether that was true at one time, but Silber was still BU Chancellor when WBUR eliminated classical and jazz and went all news/talk (except for the weekend Latin music show "Con Salsa") in the early '90s, around the time of the Gulf War. Silber remained Chancellor until 2002. (WBZ also eliminated the last of their AC music and went all news/talk at around the same time).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom