• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Topic "bumping"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is becoming an issue in particular on the DX and Reception forum - there is one poster in particular who is bouncing old threads from the 2000s and 2010s back to the front page for no good reason, usually just to add "I've received this station too". These threads often contain old, irrelevant information. The poster's latest set of postings have brought back a whole page full of old "frequency of the week" topics from 2015-16. I appreciate the poster's enthusiasm for the subject, but there's no real need for this clutter.

My personal view is that forums have no practical limit on the number of threads that can be created, so if there was a topic about KNX (AM) being DXed in 2009 there's no need to bring back that old thread if you then DXed it in 2022: just make a new one! It can be confusing when opening what appears to be a new topic to find posts about long-gone call letters and formats, only to spot that it's 15 years old. Some of the posts have headings like "ES skip into Florida now", which may have been the case a decade ago but is not current info.

Would it be possible to potentially automatically lock old topics that haven't received a new post in a reasonable timeframe, say 18 months or 2 years, or perhaps some kind of highlighting for long-ago dates? It would help to keep the forums a bit more "current" and reduce this disruptive behavior.

This is becoming an issue in particular on the DX and Reception forum - there is one poster in particular who is bouncing old threads from the 2000s and 2010s back to the front page for no good reason, usually just to add "I've received this station too". These threads often contain old, irrelevant information. The poster's latest set of postings have brought back a whole page full of old "frequency of the week" topics from 2015-16. I appreciate the poster's enthusiasm for the subject, but there's no real need for this clutter.

My personal view is that forums have no practical limit on the number of threads that can be created, so if there was a topic about KNX (AM) being DXed in 2009 there's no need to bring back that old thread if you then DXed it in 2022: just make a new one! It can be confusing when opening what appears to be a new topic to find posts about long-gone call letters and formats, only to spot that it's 15 years old. Some of the posts have headings like "ES skip into Florida now", which may have been the case a decade ago but is not current info.

Would it be possible to potentially automatically lock old topics that haven't received a new post in a reasonable timeframe, say 18 months or 2 years, or perhaps some kind of highlighting for long-ago dates? It would help to keep the forums a bit more "current" and reduce this disruptive behavior.
We are already discussing this or other alternatives such as moving the "Frequency of the Week" or any other time-sensitive post to an archive section after 7 to 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom