• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Too Much R&B and Rock on 106.1

I've read a lot on this board about how The Breeze should "localize" this station by playing more classic R&B. (i.e. Me & Mrs. Jones) I couldn't disagree more. This market is already saturated with old R&B with WOGL and WDAS. Also, Journey, Heart, and U2 are not soft rock, they are classic hits that are already played everyday on WBEN, WMGK, and WOGL.

Most of their potential listeners are outside the city limits. Many people who now live here weren't born here and have no idea who Billy Paul, Russel Thompkins Junior, or Harold Melvin are. I believe there is a market for Celine Dion, Air Supply, Bread, Roberta Flack, etc. without the incessant classic hits and R&B that have been over-played on the dial here for decades.

The Breeze format seems to be working fine in other cities without hyper-local artists. The Breeze needs to give it a chance here too.

The branding is relaxing favorites, or something to that effect. If the research tells you Journey, Heart and U2 (and we’re talking specific songs) are “relaxing favorites” then they are. They fit the format. No one is going to stop listening because that Heart ballad may also get play on WOGL or Ben and, by gosh, belongs there and no one else. That’s not how it works.

It isn’t about the shared songs. It’s about the texture or vibe you create in total.

I've read a lot on this board about how The Breeze should "localize" this station by playing more classic R&B. (i.e. Me & Mrs. Jones) I couldn't disagree more. This market is already saturated with old R&B with WOGL and WDAS. Also, Journey, Heart, and U2 are not soft rock, they are classic hits that are already played everyday on WBEN, WMGK, and WOGL.

Most of their potential listeners are outside the city limits. Many people who now live here weren't born here and have no idea who Billy Paul, Russel Thompkins Junior, or Harold Melvin are. I believe there is a market for Celine Dion, Air Supply, Bread, Roberta Flack, etc. without the incessant classic hits and R&B that have been over-played on the dial here for decades.

The Breeze format seems to be working fine in other cities without hyper-local artists. The Breeze needs to give it a chance here too.

This isn't how it works. None of this is how it works.

I've read a lot on this board about how The Breeze should "localize" this station by playing more classic R&B. (i.e. Me & Mrs. Jones) I couldn't disagree more.

First of all, localizing radio is what differentiates this from Sirius and other national streams. But second, don't think of music in little boxes. The audience doesn't think of them that way. That is inside radio thinking. The audience just has favorites. It doesn't matter what genre they are. Music can be rock, pop, or R&B. This station combines songs from various genres to create a lifestyle format called "relaxing favorites." That is different from formats built strictly on genre.

"With Or Without You", "These Dreams", and "Open Arms" are certainly soft and "relaxing" by today's standards. If they started playing "Any Way You Want It", "Magic Man", and "Pride", then we could talk.

"Me And Mrs. Jones" might be a bit unusual for this type of station, but in Philly it makes sense. Besides, WOGL doesn't play it anymore - not sure if WDAS does, but it might appeal to some members of 106.1's target audience that don't generally seek out Urban AC.

G-d forbid somebody play songs that people actually like! How could any station survive if they played songs that the audience cared about?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom