• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

too many (DJ's) - in the way -

this post may stir up some (sighs), and thanks "Dr. Obvious" but here it goes:

COMMENTARY:
I personally believe there are too many drum/bass DJ's
thinking they are "better" than quality Club DJ's.

Not naming any names, or starting a war of words,
but it is frustrating when or shall I say, how they
speak, or the few "kids" that follow them talk to the general public:

A friend will give their DJ Name - usually a first name with an
adjective -along w/ the club they are performing at -
and when you give a look that you never heard of them,

the response is astonishment of jaw dropping proportions, you
*NEVER * heard of this un signed DJ - at a local bar/club.

The friend is *acting* like you are talking about RICK Dees, when
in fact you are talking of an over rated -never heard of kid,
that got the gig because they are the only one who wanted it
and it is usually an off night / or before the crowd comes in.

-am i just an old guy ranting ?
-am i wrong?
-
PS: it is noted, I am not a out of work, drum and bass DJ - lol -
just a fan of AWESOME dj's and tired of guys getting in the way

Not sure I'm getting it. You want your DJ to be a "better known" DJ and all these unknowns are
standing in the way?

NO i dont have any DJ's
-
Im just tired co workers, contacts and/or
and INTENSE supporters of (DJ __________ )
say, Dj-Radio Info (lol) and when they say

OMG/you have never heard of DJ-R-i ??
they blast you and well goto his f 'book/website
and YOU "GOTTA Download" his SOUND Cloud set
it is aaawesome.... I have once too often, and it
is unknown 12.minute beats, and to be honest Im not
even sure if the original song is mixing itself or if
this self-proclaimed 'world's best' is even doing this live..
-
it is frustrating being close to a few cities that gets gigs but its..
dj _ _ __ and DJ Blah, where - *REAL * cities are having
people u don't have to google when u hear their name...

sorry to make that un-clear, in the last message
but i didnt want to reference ANY ONE real as that
is equally not cool to do.

and Im a little bored/frustrated w/ my boss...
when they mention there "best friend" who is a DJ-

last year, I finally went to see him, and it def.was NOT
living up to the hype that was build up prior to his
"one night only" gig. . which seems to come up every three weeks.

the boss also referenced names/artists, and besides a
the courtesy "tiesto" (name drop) I had no idea who
the heck the boss was talking about.. furthermore,
even with the help of the internet, I am thinking
how do u know this much about such an
obscure band/artist/song..

then, when I mentioned a few new rising stars ( Sia) *prior to
the Flo Rida collabration, the boss seem uninterested as it
wasn't in DJ _______ 's playlist, so it Didnt matter or have any merit

(the above line is what inspired my original post)

We don't have to agree with what I say;
please respect the my right to say it..

Think there are TOO MANY DJ's in the WAY,
using not being TRUE DJ's and PLAYING CRAP

and getting in the WAY of PEOPLE THAT can REALLY
make a club come alive.

(better?)

Radio_bored-Op said:
this post may stir up some (sighs), and thanks "Dr. Obvious" but here it goes:

COMMENTARY:
I personally believe there are too many drum/bass DJ's
thinking they are "better" than quality Club DJ's.

Not naming any names, or starting a war of words,
but it is frustrating when or shall I say, how they
speak, or the few "kids" that follow them talk to the general public:

A friend will give their DJ Name - usually a first name with an
adjective -along w/ the club they are performing at -
and when you give a look that you never heard of them,

the response is astonishment of jaw dropping proportions, you
*NEVER * heard of this un signed DJ - at a local bar/club.

The friend is *acting* like you are talking about RICK Dees, when
in fact you are talking of an over rated -never heard of kid,
that got the gig because they are the only one who wanted it
and it is usually an off night / or before the crowd comes in.

-am i just an old guy ranting ?
-am i wrong?
-
PS: it is noted, I am not a out of work, drum and bass DJ - lol -
just a fan of AWESOME dj's and tired of guys getting in the way

I'm guessing you're saying that you're not happy that the music you hear isn't homogonzed enough. How many more times would you like to hear Lady Gaga?

Radio_bored, please entertain me with this because I'm trying to figure out where you are coming from. But here goes......

The DJ world is very "dog eat dog". The competition is FURIOUS in terms of people getting their name out there, landing a club (gaining a residency a +). Most DJ's think of themselves as the best and told me so directly. Having said that for the one main guy who is on top of the world in terms of DJ's (lets use Tiesto as an example), there are thousands of others out there that want to be on that pinnacle.

Unfortunately, while a lot of people are out there that actually deserve the shot, you have a lot of "ego" going on. Some folks think of themselves as the best but never got out of the "bedroom". And there are those DJ's who go WAY back to the days of vinyl that think of those that came along later with Serato/Traktor as a "joke" since they never paid their "dues" in terms of having to lug crates of records along with a pair of 1200's to a club, where "skills" were used instead of someone placing an Apple laptop on a podium and letting the music "spin" from there.

To me, and this is my honest opinion since I do give DJ's a shot on my show......be humble. Laidback Luke is one of those DJ's at the top of the game right now but deep down (I met him at Electric Zoo) he's a real nice guy. He doesn't brag about his styles or what he does. He goes up, does his thing and hangs out with everyone after the fact. Saying that, for DJ's, they can go VERY far by being humble at what they do.

Like I had said, EVERYONE thinks of themselves as the best. But it's those guys that let the talent speak for themselves and not allow the "ego" to get in the way that go very far. Sure, there are some up there that DO have egos, lol, but for the most part the talent is what matters.

Tony Santiago said:
Radio_bored, please entertain me with this because I'm trying to figure out where you are coming from. But here goes......

The DJ world is very "dog eat dog". The competition is FURIOUS in terms of people getting their name out there, landing a club (gaining a residency a +). Most DJ's think of themselves as the best and told me so directly. Having said that for the one main guy who is on top of the world in terms of DJ's (lets use Tiesto as an example), there are thousands of others out there that want to be on that pinnacle.

Unfortunately, while a lot of people are out there that actually deserve the shot, you have a lot of "ego" going on. Some folks think of themselves as the best but never got out of the "bedroom". And there are those DJ's who go WAY back to the days of vinyl that think of those that came along later with Serato/Traktor as a "joke" since they never paid their "dues" in terms of having to lug crates of records along with a pair of 1200's to a club, where "skills" were used instead of someone placing an Apple laptop on a podium and letting the music "spin" from there.

To me, and this is my honest opinion since I do give DJ's a shot on my show......be humble. Laidback Luke is one of those DJ's at the top of the game right now but deep down (I met him at Electric Zoo) he's a real nice guy. He doesn't brag about his styles or what he does. He goes up, does his thing and hangs out with everyone after the fact. Saying that, for DJ's, they can go VERY far by being humble at what they do.

Like I had said, EVERYONE thinks of themselves as the best. But it's those guys that let the talent speak for themselves and not allow the "ego" to get in the way that go very far. Sure, there are some up there that DO have egos, lol, but for the most part the talent is what matters.

As a Resident DJ at a club in Tennessee, I think you did the best job of telling it. I've got respect for that!

My 2 cents...
The worst club DJ's that I have met seem to be the ones that have the biggest egos. One of the best and most influential DJ's I know is so humble that if you met him in person outside of the club scene you would not even know what he does for a living unless you asked him.

In all of my years in the radio biz, I have never met a radio DJ that had a huge ego problem... at least not one that was on full display while at the radio stations, or for those that I am friends with, outside of the stations. This of course is just my experience and I am sure that there are others that have great horror stories of egomaniacs gone awry.

Personally, I don't like to tell anyone that I have just met that I am a radio DJ. I'd rather have them get to know me first for whom I am as a person and prefer not to have any of the possible 'misconceptions', or 'prejudices' get in the way of that process. There have been occasions (emphasis on occasions) where I have been introduced to a 'friend of a friend' that has been told beforehand that I am a DJ and I can totally see the 'starstruck' look in their eyes when they meet me. It takes too much time to dispel the 'myth' they believe in before they really get to know me and understand the truth- That I am just a regular person like everybody else on this planet. A phrase that I like to use often; ‘My listeners are the real stars, without them, I ain’t SH!T’! Same goes for customers in the clubs that I have spun at. My belief in this as ‘fact’ has been rewarding for my career. I have had great ratings success on the air, and record setting sales in the clubs, and I owe that all to my listeners and repeat customers. Sure I always try to do my best to entertain, but it is only their time spent listening, and their money spent that matters in the end.

So... Can we get a consensus that club DJ's with the biggest egos usually TOTALLY SUCK at mixing and MC duties? AND- Have you met other radio DJ's that had ego problems that sucked on-air? No names please. Let's not make this a personal attack against anyone. Just share your experiences.

DJ Alan
....looks like my 2 cents worth rambled on to about 2 bits worth ;-)

Nailed it DJ Alan.

I sent Tony S / a personal message explaining in
greater (longer) detail of how to decipher the
crypto-language that I sent in the original ...

And, yes while no names, that is the most
important, it was more meant as a general
blanket/umbrella statement for DJ's that
have the ego's that substitute that for the talent..

...Or, FOR being shameless and having an ego
of not being a top40 dj (which is fine) but
isolating yourself and being soo deep into
the culture of the underground, . . .that
iF you as a casual fan, don't know the
songs/artists, you might as well not even go to the club...
-

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom