• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tony Sheridan

Tony Sheridan, the original lead singer of the Beatles, has passed away at age 72. No details available, but he did have open heart surgery last year.

I'm going to give you three links. Would you like toast and scrambled eggs with those links? The Beatles---John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Pete Best---met Sheridan in 1961 in Hamburg and recorded eight songs with him. The songs were released in Germany as by Tony Sheridan & the Beat Brothers. Two of the songs, My Bonnie and Why, charted in the US in 1964. Ringo Starr, who was part of Sheridan's band in 1962, would replace Pete Best in the Beatles. I counted all the solo hits Pete Best has had since then...and I came up with zero.

On February 17 Rolling Stone had a brief obituary of Sheridan:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beatles-collaborator-tony-sheridan-dead-at-72-20130217

On February 19 a more detailed story appeared in the Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-tony-sheridan-20130219,0,888898.story

In 2011 Time-Life rereleased the eight Tony Sheridan/Beatles studio recordings on a two-disc set that included several alternate versions and live performances:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-With-Tony-Sheridan/dp/B005NF2UQ4

TheFonz said:
Tony Sheridan, the original lead singer of the Beatles, has passed away at age 72. No details available, but he did have open heart surgery last year.

hate to disagree..technically I believe the Beatles just backed him up on a recording session for MGM. he was never a Beatle.

LARadioRewind said:
I'm going to give you three links. Would you like toast and scrambled eggs with those links? The Beatles---John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Pete Best---met Sheridan in 1961 in Hamburg and recorded eight songs with him. The songs were released in Germany as by Tony Sheridan & the Beat Brothers. Two of the songs, My Bonnie and Why, charted in the US in 1964. Ringo Starr, who was part of Sheridan's band in 1962, would replace Pete Best in the Beatles. I counted all the solo hits Pete Best has had since then...and I came up with zero.

On February 17 Rolling Stone had a brief obituary of Sheridan:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beatles-collaborator-tony-sheridan-dead-at-72-20130217

On February 19 a more detailed story appeared in the Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-tony-sheridan-20130219,0,888898.story

In 2011 Time-Life rereleased the eight Tony Sheridan/Beatles studio recordings on a two-disc set that included several alternate versions and live performances:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-With-Tony-Sheridan/dp/B005NF2UQ4

The Beatles were no more than session men for those one time recordings...Brian Epstein was hot for a label deal and agreed to let the Beatles do some sessions....but to label Tony Sheridan as the frontman for the Beatles or former Beatle member is totally off . Stu Sutcliff and Pete Best were Beatles , the other players with the Quarrymen were more Beatles than Sheridan...Ringo to my knowledge was only with Rory Storm (a Classmate) and the Hurricanes before the Beatles.

melan8tr said:
The Beatles were no more than session men for those one time recordings...Brian Epstein was hot for a label deal and agreed to let the Beatles do some sessions..

The sessions with Sheridan were in June 1961. Epstein didn't become the Beatles' manager until January 1962.

..but to label Tony Sheridan as the frontman for the Beatles or former Beatle member is totally off . Stu Sutcliff and Pete Best were Beatles , the other players with the Quarrymen were more Beatles than Sheridan...Ringo to my knowledge was only with Rory Storm (a Classmate) and the Hurricanes before the Beatles.

Ringo was part of Sheridan's own backup band for a couple of months in late '61 and early '62, after which he rejoined Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

melan8tr said:
The Beatles were no more than session men for those one time recordings...Brian Epstein was hot for a label deal and agreed to let the Beatles do some sessions....but to label Tony Sheridan as the frontman for the Beatles or former Beatle member is totally off . Stu Sutcliff and Pete Best were Beatles , the other players with the Quarrymen were more Beatles than Sheridan...Ringo to my knowledge was only with Rory Storm (a Classmate) and the Hurricanes before the Beatles.

I guess that would depend on when the name "Beatles" was copyrighted. If I had a high school band in 1958 that I called the Beatles, would I be the Beatles' original lead singer?

The "Beatles" name has been a registered trademark since November 23 1964. John, Paul, George and that nice young Richard Starkey fella signed their names to a document which began:

"1. We carry on business jointly as entertainers under the group name of 'The Beatles.' 2. We have duly appointed NEMS Enterprises Limited to manage our said business affairs throughout the world. 3. The said NEMS Enterprises Limited is entitled to register the name 'The Beatles' in the United States of America and its territories for the purposes of a service mark."

In other words, TheFonz could have been the original lead singer for the Beatles! As Sally Brown might have put it, "Being cheated out of being the Beatles' lead singer is worse than being cheated out of tricks and treats!" :D

LARadioRewind said:
The "Beatles" name has been a registered trademark since November 23 1964. John, Paul, George and that nice young Richard Starkey fella signed their names to a document which began:

"1. We carry on business jointly as entertainers under the group name of 'The Beatles.' 2. We have duly appointed NEMS Enterprises Limited to manage our said business affairs throughout the world. 3. The said NEMS Enterprises Limited is entitled to register the name 'The Beatles' in the United States of America and its territories for the purposes of a service mark."

In other words, TheFonz could have been the original lead singer for the Beatles! As Sally Brown might have put it, "Being cheated out of being the Beatles' lead singer is worse than being cheated out of tricks and treats!" :D

Surprising that they left it that late, I'd have thought '62 or '63.

LARadioRewind said:
Sally had a short memory. In the Thanksgiving special, she complained that it was "already" Thanksgiving, and she hadn't even finished eating all of her Halloween candy yet!

KeithE4 said:
melan8tr said:
The Beatles were no more than session men for those one time recordings...Brian Epstein was hot for a label deal and agreed to let the Beatles do some sessions..

The sessions with Sheridan were in June 1961. Epstein didn't become the Beatles' manager until January 1962.

..but to label Tony Sheridan as the frontman for the Beatles or former Beatle member is totally off . Stu Sutcliff and Pete Best were Beatles , the other players with the Quarrymen were more Beatles than Sheridan...Ringo to my knowledge was only with Rory Storm (a Classmate) and the Hurricanes before the Beatles.

Ringo was part of Sheridan's own backup band for a couple of months in late '61 and early '62, after which he rejoined Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

Back To Epstein what I meant to say was Epstein was hot for a record deal and allowed them released on Decca and polygram or polydor , I don't recall by which name the label went by in those days, I had read that he was authorized the release I just assumed they recorded then right before the release...Epstein began negotiations to become the Beatles manager in late 1961 , and yes didn't sign till Jan of 1962...but If I recall correctly the Sheridan stuff wasn't released until after Epstein was manager.

Ringo according to his comments when Sheridan died, did say, he,played with Sheridan for a few weeks the end of 1960 and the start of 1961..just a few gigs, certainly no recordings, technically he sat in, full fledged memeber of his band?....my point is most of the headlines when Sheridan died called him the original "Beatles Frontman" IMO that and other statements was very exaggerated.

TheFonz said:
Tony Sheridan [...] has passed away at age 72. No details available, but he did have open heart surgery last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9876075/Tony-Sheridan.html

The article mentions his open heart surgery towards the end of same. My Yahooing showed that he had a beard in later years.

In 1982 I saw AHDN in the theatre. It was in re-release. On the way to same I stopped at a nearby mall and bought The Beatles Circa 1960: In the Beginning (on Polydor), containing the Sheridan/Beatles cuts (plus maybe four Sheridan cuts he made without the Beatles) in a jacket depicting the leather-jacketed John, Paul, George, and Pete (no Tony or Stu). The disc's title got the year wrong, but that's neither here nor there. Too bad I gave that disc (and my other Beatles vinyl slabs) to my church's yard sale in 1996.

RIP Tony.

ixnay
(who just discovered this thread)

The way I always heard it, Epstein first got interested in the Beatles when he was managing the record department at his father's department store, and customers started asking for "My Bonnie".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom