• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Today I was liberated from bad Radio, "thank god Almighty, free At Last"

Re: Today I was liberated from bad Radio, "thank god Almighty, free At Last"

FRR said:
If you can call up a favorite song from you Ipod with just a voice command, wny would anyone listen to radio anymore...

Can you call up Dick Biondi?

TheFonz said:
FRR said:
If you can call up a favorite song from you Ipod with just a voice command, wny would anyone listen to radio anymore...

Now that would be really cool because he plays requests.

TheFonz said:
FRR said:

If Dick Biondi,The Real Don Steele, Cousin Brucie or Shotgun Kelly were still around.......we wouldn't be resorting to Ipods and Flash drives.

hornet61 said:
TheFonz said:
FRR said:

If Dick Biondi,The Real Don Steele, Cousin Brucie or Shotgun Kelly were still around.......we wouldn't be resorting to Ipods and Flash drives.

Dick Biondi is still on every weeknight and plays requests on WLS-FM http://www.trueoldies947.com/Article.asp?id=502643&spid=25027

hornet61 said:

I'm not sure if that post was intended as some form of sarcasm or whether it was typed in earnest but....even if the best of the best national DJ's were still on-air regularly a very high percentage of listeners would still want their favorite music in their pocket.

I was around and in the target audience when these guys were at the top of their game but they could only do one show per day. A few hours. Then it was up to the "second stringers" to carry the load. There was a lot of talent out there then and some very fine personalities not well known nationally today. Nevertheless, as the music deteriorated (disco, grunge, hip-hop, rap and we-all-sound-the-same girls) in the 80's it became a chore to listen to our favorite DJ's rather than something we looked forward to. I survived by listening only to Oldies but the playlists weren't very deep and eventually I yearned for a larger mix which wasn't available on terrestrial radio. When the technology became available I created my own playlists and listen to far less OTA radio than ever before.

Any one of the above DJ's could have been spinning the music but if it wasn't the music I liked I wouldn't listen....and neither did countless others.

The DJ's are important, no question, but they are not the only important element. For music stations it is first, the music.

Biondi is alive and well thanks radioman for the link.........very, very nicely said Landtuna, my point exactly. And the Fonz likes the personalities and thats good too, that was a valid counter to my comments. After reviewing all five pages of comments our collective Ideas we could build a pretty good station...unfortunately we are left to our own devices.

hornet61 said:
Biondi is alive and well thanks radioman for the link.........very, very nicely said Landtuna, my point exactly. And the Fonz likes the personalities and thats good too, that was a valid counter to my comments. After reviewing all five pages of comments our collective Ideas we could build a pretty good station...unfortunately we are left to our own devices.

Dick Biondi plays all requests on Friday nights.
Biondi is like the energizer Bunny, he keeps going & going.......

landtuna said:
hornet61 said:

I'm not sure if that post was intended as some form of sarcasm or whether it was typed in earnest but....even if the best of the best national DJ's were still on-air regularly a very high percentage of listeners would still want their favorite music in their pocket.

Cousin Brucie is on Sirius-XM, isn't he?

Otto Maddock said:
landtuna said:
hornet61 said:

Cousin Brucie is on Sirius-XM, isn't he?

Yes, I believe Brucie & Biondi are the last of the originals still broadcasting and Biondi is the only one on regular radio.

Unfortunately The Real Don Steele is no More...as of about 2003 or so.....Shotgun Kelly was on K-Earth LA, around the same Time Don Steele passed. I thought K-earth was pathethic(unless you want to hear Louie,Louie, Satisfaction, and Lesy Gore for the thrillionth time), one hour and I switched to a Mexican station. The real thing, the genuis, the man who coined the "term Oldies-But goodies" "Art Laboe" is still on AM and FM(mostly syndication) in LA. Of course Laboe is catering to an East LA crowd so be prepared for the traditional Oldies, generously mixed with Old School and a sprinkling of 80's - 90's modern R&B, with a dash of Latino Rap (kid frost, lighter shade of brown, mr capone). Why does he do that you ask??? The East LA mexican and black culture hands qown the music from generation to generation, 16 year olds today are very familiar with Rosie and the Originals, Penguins, Brenton Wood (God in East LA)... Rose Royce, Ohio Players, Thee Midnighters, Cannibal and the headhunters, and the Latino Rappers like Kid Frost and Lighter shade of brown who come from the same background, sample mostly "Old School" and Tradional R&B on all of their work. Laboe's demographic could be easily 16-66. This format might not work as well in Kansas or Nebraska, but it does very well in LA.

hornet61 said:
Unfortunately The Real Don Steele is no More...as of about 2003 or so.....Shotgun Kelly was on K-Earth LA, around the same Time Don Steele passed. I thought K-earth was pathethic(unless you want to hear Louie,Louie, Satisfaction, and Lesy Gore for the thrillionth time), one hour and I switched to a Mexican station. The real thing, the genuis, the man who coined the "term Oldies-But goodies" "Art Laboe" is still on AM and FM(mostly syndication) in LA. Of course Laboe is catering to an East LA crowd so be prepared for the traditional Oldies, generously mixed with Old School and a sprinkling of 80's - 90's modern R&B, with a dash of Latino Rap (kid frost, lighter shade of brown, mr capone). Why does he do that you ask??? The East LA mexican and black culture hands qown the music from generation to generation, 16 year olds today are very familiar with Rosie and the Originals, Penguins, Brenton Wood (God in East LA)... Rose Royce, Ohio Players, Thee Midnighters, Cannibal and the headhunters, and the Latino Rappers like Kid Frost and Lighter shade of brown who come from the same background, sample mostly "Old School" and Tradional R&B on all of their work. Laboe's demographic could be easily 16-66. This format might not work as well in Kansas or Nebraska, but it does very well in LA.

I believe Art Laboe is well in his 80s & still going strong. His "Killer Oldies Show" is still syndicated in the west.
I've heard it a few times and it's still very good.

Correction Real Don Steele died 08/05/97...

Robert W. Morgan did a series of tributes to Real Don Steele, that's available on the net, he chronicled Steeles' career and how they crossed paths in LA at K-earth, then he too left for that big booth in the sky, shortly thereafter.........I first saw Don Steele on KHJ-TV out of LA in about 1972....caught him a little on Radio at K-earth ever so briefly...his TV show was terrific, a total madman with Hub-caps and Rims and Tambourines and coke bottles anything that he could beat with his drumsticks.

hornet61 said:
Robert W. Morgan did a series of tributes to Real Don Steele, that's available on the net, he chronicled Steeles' career and how they crossed paths in LA at K-earth, then he too left for that big booth in the sky, shortly thereafter.........I first saw Don Steele on KHJ-TV out of LA in about 1972....caught him a little on Radio at K-earth ever so briefly...his TV show was terrific, a total madman with Hub-caps and Rims and Tambourines and coke bottles anything that he could beat with his drumsticks.

I remember that TV show on KHJ-TV. Don Steele might have been the most energetic DJ ever.
"Tina Delgado is alive!"

hornet61 said:
This is the closest ever approximation I've seen to what my AM 1620 pt 15 does, except I I run 20-30-40s jazz/swing/dance/texas swing , 50's -current hotter faster rock with a decided lean toward psychedelia/surf/pyschobilly/punk/eclectic and a good deal of country, all on top of lots of the oldes that are missing in action, disco greats that weren't burned out and bear re-listening, along with a few truly greats like "louie loiue" that are at this point CERAMIC. that is, they cannot be more burned out than they are, and yet each time they play, they still solidly ROCK. Like any great painter's name from the 1700's these are now names that will endure and new generations will gape at their mouths discovering this music, and wondering what it was like when new.

I am very happy Art is finding success with this station and format. It is what I'd hoped radio would be for for me if I had gone into the business.
I smelled the rat in business somewhere in the 70's, as someone else noted previously, in the limiting of playlists,
and I was a teenager. It was my first hint of the several reasons why I stayed out of radio.

For what it is worth, I left the East Coast for LA in 65 thinking KQV and WABC was as good as it gets. Then I heard KHJ and loved it because they played MORE MUSIC and LESS TALK as we hear all over the dial today. I really miss the talk and would love to put on the AM radio in my little mint green Falcon Futura and hear a full day of KQV or WABC or WMCA.

MsMusicRadio said:
For what it is worth, I left the East Coast for LA in 65 thinking KQV and WABC was as good as it gets. Then I heard KHJ and loved it because they played MORE MUSIC and LESS TALK as we hear all over the dial today. I really miss the talk and would love to put on the AM radio in my little mint green Falcon Futura and hear a full day of KQV or WABC or WMCA.

Do what I do--put together airchecks of those stations on tape or CD and go cruising in your car on a warm summer night. Brings back wonderful memories of those good AM radio days.

radioman148 said:
MsMusicRadio said:

Do what I do--put together airchecks of those stations on tape or CD and go cruising in your car on a warm summer night. Brings back wonderful memories of those good AM radio days.

Yup. There are collectors out there who have airchecks that I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime. Start with the airchecks section of this website. Aaron Mintz has an awesome collection at http://people.umass.edu/ahmintz/

TheFonz said:
radioman148 said:
MsMusicRadio said:

Yup. There are collectors out there who have airchecks that I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime. Start with the airchecks section of this website. Aaron Mintz has an awesome collection at http://people.umass.edu/ahmintz/

Yup--there's plenty of stuff around if you want to relive 60s radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom