• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tik Tok on Hot AC

I have to admit I am surprised that Ke$ha-Tik Tok became a Hot AC hit. When I first heard it on CHR several months ago I actually thought it was young sounding even for CHR. It has sort of a radio disney sound with naughty lyrics. I liked it from the first time I heard it (I have long since burned on it) but I never would have imagined it would ever crossover to Hot AC. Even if Tik Tok doesn't seem to fit on the format I do think it's encouraging that Hot AC is now playing sounds outside of the Nickelback/Daughtry pop rock genre. At least it adds some variety.

How can you be surprised? If Britney, Christina (which, the lastest will be super huge at HAC), and the likes of Timbaland, Flo Rida and now Taio Cruz and David Guetta are getting plenty of spins? Tik Tok sounds more adult pop than CHR pop to me...making it a must add to HAC stations. If you don't add the current dance-pop, dance-rock sounds, you will quickly get labeled "old" or "slow".

As tempting as it is, I wont even say anything. Most people already know how I feel about KE$HA's music.

I'll just quote my younger sister though who now PERFECTLY FITS that generation of music more than I do:
"It's almost like she can't even sing. I wonder how she's even like famous right now?"

Anyway, let me not complain because my parents accepted JJ Fad "Supersonic" and L'Trimm "cars that go boom"... but then again, that was only ONE HIT EACH, and supersonic was not bad. I'm already suffering more than my parents had to!

I noticed too, our local 104.3 MYfm and Sophie @ 103.7 in San Diego have played it. Though what I'm more surprised is that our 104.3 has been playing Jason Derulo's "In My Head".

I've heard two small market stations that play their own "Bible Belt" edits...

WRIL/Pineville, KY edits out some references to drinking ("bottle of Jack", "beer", etc.), but leaves in the "crunk" and "junk" verse intact.

WNXT/Portsmouth, OH edits out both sections mentioned above, removing the individual drinking references and the entire verse mentioned above, as well as editing out the word "tipsy".

WRIL has an interesting edit of Lady Gaga's "Love game" as well. It removes all the "Disco Stick" verses and replaces them with a looped instrumental portion from elsewhere in the song.

In reality her songs are not really all THAT bad (or maybe I'm just lowering my standards once again after the incredible amount of times I've heard her music). At least she does talk about something in her music, normally has a message in her songs as opposed to just saying stuff to be saying it and making money, and is good at putting words together. That I'll give her.

"Tik Tok" is one of the worst songs ever. However, I've caught on to "Your Love Is My Drug".

I'm not surprised about what is on hot AC these days.

techie2 said:

WRIL/Pineville, KY edits out some references to drinking ("bottle of Jack", "beer", etc.), but leaves in the "crunk" and "junk" verse intact.

WNXT/Portsmouth, OH edits out both sections mentioned above, removing the individual drinking references and the entire verse mentioned above, as well as editing out the word "tipsy".

WRIL has an interesting edit of Lady Gaga's "Love game" as well. It removes all the "Disco Stick" verses and replaces them with a looped instrumental portion from elsewhere in the song.

Wow! I never thought too many were paying attention to those edits. I try and edit some of the harder stuff for the younger crowd. Yeah, I know they get worse in school and on YouTube BUT, I don't run either of those. Monitoring some of the stuff can get hard but I try to daypart the hardest music until after 5-ish. techie 2, where are you listening?

Brian
WRIL-FM "The Big One"

spindoctor1 said:
techie2 said:

Wow! I never thought too many were paying attention to those edits. I try and edit some of the harder stuff for the younger crowd. Yeah, I know they get worse in school and on YouTube BUT, I don't run either of those. Monitoring some of the stuff can get hard but I try to daypart the hardest music until after 5-ish. techie 2, where are you listening?

Brian
WRIL-FM "The Big One"

Brian!
I'm from up in the Paintsville area; I'm the PD of K-lite 94.7 (WKLW); I was looking at the WRIL website a few months back...I really liked what I seen. I love seeing that great "station spirit" like I saw in 106.3. I can tell you've certainly got the "radio bug" too, and now I see you on here!
KUDOS!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom