• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

This is the kind of station Tampa Needs

I've known about Lightning 100 since it first debuted in Nashville in the early 1990s. It's a great station, one of the best AAA outlets I've ever heard. It's locally owned and very well programmed by David Hall, who has been working in Nashville radio dating back to at least the 1980s. He knows the format well and also has a great feel for what works well within the format in the city.

Unfortunately, AAA is generally seen as a niche format and one that isn't known for bringing in big ratings or huge billing. P1s tend to be VERY loyal and love it, but in general it's not a mainstream product. If it was, the format would be on in more markets.

Luckily, Lightning 100 streams online, so at least that is an option for those who want to listen outside of Nashville.

97X plays alot of that alternative music and ratings and cume are not good or not even okay.

I think they should challenge 98rock and play more New Active Rock Hits. or 102.5.

Tampa Bays Best New Rock ... similar to this station mid market station

rock945.com KHTQ

CHRles said:
Tampa had an Adult Alternative station in the 90s with 102.5 The Point.

And KHTQ is a good Rock station, but it's out in Spokane, which is nothing like Tampa Bay.
Ironically, KHTQ is tied in the Spokane ratings with KXLY, the market's Adult Alternative station.
http://www.radio-info.com/markets/spokane

That's True, WHPT was my moms favorite station when I was a kid. Lasted 7 Years from 1991-1999. Only to become a victim of Clear Channel and Cox's Media buying spree.

Then there was 107.3 The Bay which was Semi AAA. Lasted 3 Years before Cox dropped the currents. Then not too long after Cox fired all the people. Cut the playlist to 300 tune and renamed it The Eagle.

How can you compare a market #44 station to a market #20 station...in a city that is pre-dominantly skewed towards country?

And, as always, scottsvb5, you are a mess.

LOL, it don't matter what market your in.... people want to hear "New Music".. and
that station plays alot of New Active Rock.... it works!

As long as people in radio look at market sizes compared to their own..they will
always be blind to what works... sometimes you have to look at other markets
and see what they are doing... btw Country? That isnt Kansas City or Nashville..
infact Tampa is more country music wise than Spokane.

BTW, wasn't WHPT when Paxson owned it doing good ratings wise. Not to mention you have a market right next door with a Semi-AAA that's doing extremely well. I believe the market is up I-4.

I do understand what Lou Pickney was saying however that AAA is a niche format and doesn't do well in every market.

Snorch said:
How can you compare a market #44 station to a market #20 station...in a city that is pre-dominantly skewed towards country?

And, as always, scottsvb5, you are a mess.

Funny you say that because WRBQ was 1 # when they did the country format. Not to mention you have WQYK which was up until recently highly rated. Tampa likes country music. People are just feed up at the way that country music is being displayed on the radio.

distantfm said:
My idea of a GREAT rock station with a big ...and excellent playlist.......ROCK....not AAA

http://www.1029thehog.com/

''everything that rocks'' (except the morning show LOL)

rob

Well personally Clear Channel should go down that road with 98Rock. Screw a morning show. Screw Lex and Terry or whoever. Play lots of good rock. However having a AAA would be nice too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom