• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

This American Life Self Syndicates

Typical NPR arrogance. NPR would have no control over when a station airs the show and raising the price would probably mean some stations would drop it. It's a good show and it has its fans but it's not must-hear-radio.

Typical NPR arrogance. NPR would have no control over when a station airs the show and raising the price would probably mean some stations would drop it. It's a good show and it has its fans but it's not must-hear-radio.

The key thing is that most of those stations are already carrying the show. NPR doesn't have an exclusive on affiliates the way TV networks do. Typical NPR affiliates carry programs from multiple sources. NPR would be the primary beneficiary here, not the show. All the stations care about is they will still get a show every week. They will air it in the exact same slot they've been airing it. No change for the stations or the listeners. Plus Ira has the independence to do whatever he wants with the show in the future. I really don't see a down side, and this really shows how the public radio marketplace has changed.

My grand idea is that if XM wants to do something useful in the public radio space, how about they pick up Tell Me More from NPR? They could run it on XM's Urban View & XMPR channels and syndicate it either daily or weekly (a la Bob Edwards) to regular public radio affiliates. Or, hell, partner with NPR in some way where they would promote it and run it on the NPR satellite channel and Urban View.

I think they view each other as competitors, not potential partners.

SiriusXM can't partner with anyone. I'm sure some here remember the partnership with CBS Radio for Opie and Anthony. They couldn't even agree on one studio for the show to broadcast. The talent had to pick up in the middle of the show and walk 2 blocks once the CBS portion of the show ended.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom