• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Wow Factor behind Z100, what is it?

M

Martin Mac

What does Z100 do differently from the rest of CC-owned CHR's and other CHR's in the US that makes them so renowned? Everybody praises Z100, but me personally, I really cannot understand what's so great about them. I would like to, but to me, they sound just like any other CC CHR, and their playlist isn't really anything special, seems like the average CHR playlist. Would someone please tell me what sets Z100 apart and makes it better from other CHR's?

Well, compared to other CC CHRs, Z 100 has Heritage, and it has more local and live jocks. There are dozens of CC CHR stations that have no local jocks and have Premium Choice programming. Z 100 still sounds like a real CHR station.

1) Imaging. Z-100 imaging is usually in a class of its own
2) Music flow. Unlike some stations the music flow is always flawless on Z for a CHR
3) Customized music mix and playlist for NYC. With recurrents like Madhouse "Like A Prayer", David Guetta "Getting Over You", and Kevin Rudolf's "I Made It", alongside plenty of fresh new music the audience immediately embraces.
4) The jocks. The right amount of hype, excitement, bigger than life presentation that has worked so well at Z since it's early days, and before that at the legendary WABC. This is one of the things the folks at 92.3 Now just don't get - they thinking avoiding the cliches of Top 40 presentation makes them cool and edgy, but Z tried doing that in the mid 90s during its phase as a Modern Rock leaning CHR. When Z-100 evolved back to a true hit music station it didnt take long for the station to realize the audience was expecting the on-air sound of the jocks to revert back to the type of style Z-100 was known for. After all, that was part of what made 103.5 KTU such a resounding success.

Martin Mac said:
Would someone please tell me what sets Z100 apart and makes it better from other CHR's?

The fact that it happens to be located in New York City (and does well there) - If Z100 were broadcasting in Little Rock, I don't think many people would be praising it, or giving it much attention

Too bad Z100 isn't local in middays. 92.3 is live and local all day. In fact one of their DJs slept at the station the night of the blizzard to keep the next midday show live and local, filling in for XCountry285's crush.

Nick said:
Too bad Z100 isn't local in middays. 92.3 is live and local all day. In fact one of their DJs slept at the station the night of the blizzard to keep the next midday show live and local, filling in for XCountry285's crush.

Yep, Z100 has Ryan Seacrest from LA on the air in Middays (Many CC CHRs do)... which his numbers are leaps and bounds above the "live and local" midday Lisa show on 92.3... consistently.

I'd say Z100's morning show isn't local anymore since it's syndicated nationwide, but it originates at Z100. However I'd rather listen to Elvis Duran than to Nick Cannon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom