• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The White Shadow

landtuna said:
I can't believe Jill Hennessey's on-screen "death" in Law & Order's "Aftershock" hasn't been mentioned.

One of her successors, Annie Parisse, had her character killed off--since she was leaving the show. She was kidnapped from her apartment and then later found dead in thr trunk of car.

In the original cast, George Dzunda's character of Det. Max Greevey, was killed in the opening scene of the second season. Though it was only "seen" by his wife from her house.

'NCIS' has cornered the market on killing supporting characters, from Kate(Sasha Alexander) to Director Sheperd(Lauren Holly), and most recently, Director Vance's wife and Ziva's father.
Just last week, 'Blue Bloods' killed off one of its supporting cop characters.

Returning to The White Shadow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the ep in which the Carver team was flying to San Jose for a tournament and the plane neared SJ airport, then was forced to turn around and return to LAX because its landing gear had
problems (not enough hospital space in the South Bay or in San Mateo County in case a belly landing there caused injuries). Once safely back at LAX, the airline made up by treating the team to its next flight that day to SJ. Also in that ep, one of the players asked out a stewardess, who turned out to be hitched.

Also, in another ep, didn't Ken meet up with an old flame who'd become a nun?

ixnay

ixnay said:
Also, in another ep, didn't Ken meet up with an old flame who'd become a nun?

ixnay
Not an old flame, but a basketball coach at a Catholic school where he's holding basketball clinic. It was the Christmas episode during the final season.

BD Sullivan said:
onairb said:
Just last week, 'Blue Bloods' killed off one of its supporting cop characters.
How did they get rid of Jennifer Esposito's character after her controversial off-screen departure?

Somewhat surprisingly, they didn't pull a 'Valerie Harper' and kill her off; they just had her request a transfer because the homicide beat was getting to her, and aggravating some medical condition she had.

joeybabe25 said:
How did TWS fare in the ratings during it's run?

Joe

The show's ratings were often described as "modest." It certainly didn't help that CBS kept bouncing the show around: during its first two months, the show was on Monday, then on Saturday for a few months. It then moved back to Monday for about a year before going to Tuesday nights for a year. During the final two months of original shows, it moved back to Mondays, then showed reruns that summer on Wednesday nights.

BD Sullivan said:
joeybabe25 said:
How did TWS fare in the ratings during it's run?

Joe

The show's ratings were often described as "modest." It certainly didn't help that CBS kept bouncing the show around: during its first two months, the show was on Monday, then on Saturday for a few months. It then moved back to Monday for about a year before going to Tuesday nights for a year. During the final two months of original shows, it moved back to Mondays, then showed reruns that summer on Wednesday nights.

CBS around that time was bad about that with many shows. "WKRP In Cincinnati" was also bounced around the schedule.

I had only one issue with "The White Shadow." I forget the setup, but Coach called a basketball coach in Wheeling, West Virginia. According to stereotype, the coach was portrayed as dressing like a hick. As a proud West Virginian, it was a low moment in the show for me. Otherwise, I was a fan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom