• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Tube disappears off of subchannels

I read on usenet "The Tube" has stopped broadcastin on many subchannels?

Some have said because on January 1, 2007 the FCC required all subchannels be able to broadcast the emergency alert system 24 hours a day 7/week.

Others have said it is due to new educational requirements of 3 hours per week for each subchanel.

Anyone know which is right?

It was still on WTXX-DT channel 12-2 ("20-2") here in greater Hartford a couple of days ago.

Are you kidding me? The E/I requirement is for the subchannels too? For goodness sakes!

MEMO TO THE FCC: EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO AT LEAST ONE, AND SOMETIMES TWO PBS AFFILIATES THAT IS ALL THE E/I AMERICANS NEED THANK YOU VERY MUCH. GET BACK TO DESIGNATING FREQUENCIES AND STOP CONTROLLING CONTENT!

(heavy breathing) Okay....That's all for today (gets off his horse). And yes for those who are interested I am a Libertarian.

Mark said:
I read on usenet "The Tube" has stopped broadcastin on many subchannels?

Some have said because on January 1, 2007 the FCC required all subchannels be able to broadcast the emergency alert system 24 hours a day 7/week.

Others have said it is due to new educational requirements of 3 hours per week for each subchanel.

Anyone know which is right?

From what I've heard, both, more or less.

- It looks like all Sinclair stations that were carrying The Tube on subchannels have dropped it. A number of other station groups were also carrying it and many, if not all, of them are still carrying it. (I believe WTXX, mentioned in another reply, is a Tribune station)

- The same EAS requirements that have always applied to main channels have been extended to subchannels. You must run a Required Weekly Test on your subchannels, and you must relay the Required Monthly Test. (you must also run Emergency Action Notification and Emergency Action Termination, but if that happens FCC inspectors will be the least of your worries!)

- And the E/I programming obligations have been extended to subchannels. As I understand it, you don't actually have to run the E/I material on the subchannel - if you run twice the required amount on your main channel then you don't have to run any on the sub - but you'd better talk to your lawyers before listening to me on that!

Many content regulations aren't the FCC's idea. (the E/I requirements included) It's fairly common for Congress to order the FCC to require something; the Commission has no choice but to enforce the law. (I suppose they *could* argue the law is unConstitutional but it's a lot cheaper for taxpayers to let the regulated industries do that<grin>!)

Why The Tube is off Sinclair stations

All DT subchannels must now carry the minimum 3 hours a week of educational programs. Also, DT and digital radio subchannels must now be capable of relaying the Emergency Alert System. Those are FCC rules that took effect on New Year's Day.

That is why Sinclair dropped The Tube company-wide on 12/31. Tribune is keeping The Tube on for now.

(Source: Northeast Radio Watch, 1/8 edition)

Isn't a Libertarian what Republicans in denial call themselves?
[/quote]

Maybe a Republican who isn't a Bible thumping Zealot, and who actually wants to follow the Constitution strictly.

Kevin Lagasse said:
It was still on WTXX-DT channel 12-2 ("20-2") here in greater Hartford a couple of days ago.

It's still on KDAF-HD channel 33.2 in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. I caught it last Saturday Morning, and it was showing E/I programming. It left me with the impression that the Tube was running the E/I programming since The Tube's Logo was showing throughout the program and break.

Exactly the same thing I saw on Tribune's WTXX ch 20-2 this weekend, as I said in the New England board, Sinclair might have jumped the gun. Glad that Tribune held strong.

It doesn't look like KDAF-DT here in Dallas is planning to drop "The Tube" anytime soon -- not only is it still running here, but I saw an ad promoting it on their main channel Sunday evening.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of E/I programming were they showing on "The Tube" on Saturday morning?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom