• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Transmitter Died Again

If it was my operation, I would think about a some kind of preventative measures. There are several spray ons that are supposed to keep moisture out of connectors. Make sure what ever you use doesn't "eat" the covering of cables. There might be plastic protectors that could do the job. Ask your engineer what he thinks would work best.

There was a good article in QEX magazine a few years ago comparing various connector sealing methods. The tested about six different sealing methods by dunking each connector splice in a bucket of water for a week. The VSWR was measured before/after the test. I remember that using the heat shrink tubing (the kind that has the integrated adhesive inside) did the best. When this is not possible, we use a self vulcanizing tape that is then covered with Scotch Electrical Tape. RF Parts (rfparts.com) sell the vulcanizing tape for a good price. The purpose of the Scotch Electrical Tape on top is to protect against UV. Never had a problem with these methods. Used the weather seal putty in the past but this is a nightmare to remove. I also use 7/16 DIN connectors in lieu of type N whenever possible. DIN connectors are larger and seem to hold up better.

Back
Top Bottom