• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Todd Show - Part 2

Apparently launches September 5th.

I wonder if he will go ahead with it if he only has 100 people or less signing on?

$10's is the price of netflix subscription. and almost all podcasts worth listening too are free.

He's trying to do a 'live' radio show on delay, and only an hours content at best. I can't see this lasting long.

But, it's nice to see no one in the radio industry seems to want to hire him.....at least there is some justice.
Even his long stallwart companion monkey boy isn't apart of this venture.

But, it's nice to see no one in the radio industry seems to want to hire him.....at least there is some justice.

Not sure if you can say "no one wants to hire him." He may not want to move. I just read that Jack Da Wack, who was once a DJ at Z100, just retired after 27 years in Houston. So there can be life on the radio after NYC if you're willing to move.

The paid podcast thing isn't easy. Steve Dahl is doing the same thing after getting fired from WLS in Chicago. He's charging $10.95. He was more of a talk host than a DJ. Todd will have to decide what his act is, because what he did at PLJ is not likely to get people to pay $10.

Not sure if you can say "no one wants to hire him." He may not want to move. I just read that Jack Da Wack, who was once a DJ at Z100, just retired after 27 years in Houston. So there can be life on the radio after NYC if you're willing to move.

The paid podcast thing isn't easy. Steve Dahl is doing the same thing after getting fired from WLS in Chicago. He's charging $10.95. He was more of a talk host than a DJ. Todd will have to decide what his act is, because what he did at PLJ is not likely to get people to pay $10.

Perhaps...... although from NYC to Texas is a major culture shift.

Supposedly it IS his plj act. he thinks people will pay $10's to hear his thoughts on things, new Parody songs , and even new phone scams where mentioned.

the last batch of 2014 phone scams where so badly acted and hateful, I can't see anyone wanting to hear more of that.

Apparently launches September 5th.

I wonder if he will go ahead with it if he only has 100 people or less signing on?

$10's is the price of netflix subscription. and almost all podcasts worth listening too are free.

He's trying to do a 'live' radio show on delay, and only an hours content at best. I can't see this lasting long.

Hes made enough money not to have have to work again with all the contracts he signed. And if he applied for markets outside of nyc hed probably get picked up pretty quick.

If he’s going to keep any staff, his subscription rate will need to be in the thousands. I question whether there are 1,000+ people in NYC metro who are willing/insane enough to shell out that much for one program.

Perhaps if he started a podcast “network” like other booted NYC jocks, he may be able to get enough folks to justify the expenses. As most of those are floundering as well, I don’t hold out much hope for Todd unless he’s going solo and not treating it as a paying job. And even then, will the juice be worth the squeeze?

Perhaps he can go back to WWE for an announcing gig.

...Oh yeah, forgot, most wrestling fans hate him.

...yeesh. Good luck Todd. You’re gonna need it.

pretty much the crux of it.

The only podcast I pay for, and ONLY because I really like the guy on it, not the network it's on, is Rob Paulsens Talkin' toons. and even that I don't watch as much because now I have to remember to log in and navigate to find it. where as before it was all on one stress free page.

If you go by his shows FB page (Todds), it looks like he has 250 subscribers to the page itself.

Lets say he has that many people paying to hear him per month.

How many people do you think todd's ego would let get in the way, and not do the show anymore, if say, 150 dropped in the first month? would he still do the show for 50 people? 0 people and hope it picked up somehow?

these are other things podcasters have to think about. it's not simply just doing a show and hoping people pay money.

Perhaps...... although from NYC to Texas is a major culture shift.

Jack was born in the South. He fit into Houston just fine.

He told us he wanted to take a break like he did after NYC and figure out what's next later, so I wouldn't rule out him plugging in his Koss cans again someday. He didn't want to make a fuss his last day and did it his way - last break was a straight up weather forecast.

Then again, he may decide he likes flying his airplane too much. He's the nicest guy you'll ever meet and I miss him already.

pretty much the crux of it.

The only podcast I pay for, and ONLY because I really like the guy on it, not the network it's on, is Rob Paulsens Talkin' toons. and even that I don't watch as much because now I have to remember to log in and navigate to find it. where as before it was all on one stress free page.

If you go by his shows FB page (Todds), it looks like he has 250 subscribers to the page itself.

Lets say he has that many people paying to hear him per month.

How many people do you think todd's ego would let get in the way, and not do the show anymore, if say, 150 dropped in the first month? would he still do the show for 50 people? 0 people and hope it picked up somehow?

these are other things podcasters have to think about. it's not simply just doing a show and hoping people pay money.

I'm reminded of a morning show in Phoenix that had a pretty good following. When they got canned, they decided to stick together and do an online show. They sold sponsorships and ended up syndicating to some small markets via Skyview - and still lost a bunch of money. When they finally had to throw in the towel, one of the jocks had depleted so much of his savings that he worked first at an Amazon warehouse and then as a UPS driver before picking up a new morning gig. He interviewed while in his UPS uniform...

When it comes to podcasting, you have to keep the expenses low and assume you're going to lose money for awhile. If you get the right mix of content, you may do okay. Or you may end up doing it just to stay busy while you look for work. The great thing about podcasting is anybody can start one. The terrible thing about podcasting is anybody can start one.

I'm reminded of a morning show in Phoenix that had a pretty good following. When they got canned, they decided to stick together and do an online show. They sold sponsorships and ended up syndicating to some small markets via Skyview - and still lost a bunch of money. When they finally had to throw in the towel, one of the jocks had depleted so much of his savings that he worked first at an Amazon warehouse and then as a UPS driver before picking up a new morning gig. He interviewed while in his UPS uniform...

When it comes to podcasting, you have to keep the expenses low and assume you're going to lose money for awhile. If you get the right mix of content, you may do okay. Or you may end up doing it just to stay busy while you look for work. The great thing about podcasting is anybody can start one. The terrible thing about podcasting is anybody can start one.

Wow was this recently?

It was asked why Scott Shannon didn’t find him a spot on CBS-FM.

If they had gotten along, Scott may have taken Todd along for the ride. You could tell for the last 5 or so years of Scott and Todd that they hated each other. Scott was quite happy to jump ship!

It is sad, but there are a few ex-NYC drivetime jocks who have tried this podcast thing and mostly failed. It’s a money pit...and considering most of these folks don’t want to go back to Syracuse/Albany/Long Island and get back into radio (with a huge pay and ego cut), it means it’s basically doomed to fail from the start.

If you’re going to do it, as mentioned before, your expenses have to be low and the cost to the consumer should be near zero. Just bite the bullet and add the Purple Pillow/Dollar Shave Club ads and take the small payout. Something tells me $10/month to hear nothing but an old morning show DJ from a defunct Hot AC station isn’t high on most people’s priority list.

It’s a money pit...and considering most of these folks don’t want to go back to Syracuse/Albany/Long Island and get back into radio (with a huge pay and ego cut), it means it’s basically doomed to fail from the start

You don't have to go back to small markets, but you do have to cut the ego. That's what looking for a job is all about. What Jack Da Whack did was reinvent himself, with a new name and a new format. He became Cactus Jack and played country music at the top rated station in Houston for 27 years. Nothing wrong with that. In my own experience, I've done the reinvention thing several times and it's led to a long and profitable career. If you want to do the same thing in the same place, that likely limits the possibilities.

It was asked why Scott Shannon didn’t find him a spot on CBS-FM.

If they had gotten along, Scott may have taken Todd along for the ride. You could tell for the last 5 or so years of Scott and Todd that they hated each other. Scott was quite happy to jump ship!

It is sad, but there are a few ex-NYC drivetime jocks who have tried this podcast thing and mostly failed. It’s a money pit...and considering most of these folks don’t want to go back to Syracuse/Albany/Long Island and get back into radio (with a huge pay and ego cut), it means it’s basically doomed to fail from the start.

If you’re going to do it, as mentioned before, your expenses have to be low and the cost to the consumer should be near zero. Just bite the bullet and add the Purple Pillow/Dollar Shave Club ads and take the small payout. Something tells me $10/month to hear nothing but an old morning show DJ from a defunct Hot AC station isn’t high on most people’s priority list.

And if it is, and you have to cut costs along the way, I would think it's one of the first things on the chopping block.

And if it is, and you have to cut costs along the way, I would think it's one of the first things on the chopping block.

So, I was looking to see if anyone YT'd the s how yet... no such luck.

but, it also seems as if he's only doing one show a week?

So, for $9.95, you get an hour show, 4 times a month? I can't see this lasting till the end of the year.

So, I was looking to see if anyone YT'd the s how yet... no such luck.

but, it also seems as if he's only doing one show a week?

So, for $9.95, you get an hour show, 4 times a month? I can't see this lasting till the end of the year.

Say what you will about his show: For twice the price, I’d argue you could listen to better crank calls, and more fascinating guests, and have 5x the amount of content by signing up with SXM for Stern. Above all, you get the bonus of hundreds of other channels when you’re not in the mood to listen to a wacky AM drivetime show.

Even former NY jock Anthony Cumia charged $10/month. But you got to listen/watch Anthony 4x/week plus some other talk shows on his network. Even with that, I think his podcast “network” is in the doldrums.

So seeing that there are tons of options out there offering way more content at a fraction of the price per show...why would anyone attempt to do this? Ego?

He should treat it the same way Jay Leno treats his car show on CNBC. He’s already been king of the mountain for decades. He’s doing this because he’s having fun...not because he needs the paycheck or he wants to be the next Jeremy Clarkson. If Todd took some of that Leno advice, his new venture may not be universally panned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom