• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Pirate Station returns..

I haven't gone out and "found" the transmitter location yet. Been slammed with the day job. As they used to say back in the day when you could work your entire career in the same market, "Film At Eleven!..."

Try the area around Grainger in May-retta.

Marietta Center for Advanced Academics, and also a sixth grade academy is right there. I used the highly sophisicated "Driving around with my car antenna off" method to track it to close to this area.

I did not see any antennas around there, but it was strong. if nothing else, thats pretty close I think.

After this is solved our next science experiment will be determining why 1600AM runs with <apparent> day power at night. Must be an STA.....not.

The usual excuses are:
1) We forgot!

2) the remote control or other system meant to switch power was not programmed right or lost its memory battery and programming....

3) we forgot!!

They have <apparently> forgotten for over a year. Which I can understand, i cant remember much more than 20 minutes ago....

OR, the former FCC office that used to cover this area has been closed for decades so as long as noone complains, we can run whatever we want (and do!)...

I find only the large groups complain about issues like that.....once, 850 KEYH in Houston lost its programming on the Gentner and stayed at 10KW during critical hours and into night instead of its 180w night signal.....KOA, owned by CC/iHeart, complained....but ONLY because of the CH interference...no mention of the after sunset interference was mentioned or lodged... Go figure...and KEYH is highly directional to the NE...so the interference to KOA was likely at Covington which actually is outside KOA's protected contour...

and the wheels on the bus go round and round.

AM1310 is also audible at night where at one time they weren't. I heard that CEs were being strong-armed by GMs into illegal operation for night coverage. They figure they can get away with it until somebody complains.
But remember, those stations are both Hispanic stations most likely run by illegals who if they get caught probably only face deportation at worst.

Signal's the strongest around / on the S. Poly Campus. It's definitely running up someone's power bill, lots of r.f. Did some quick direction-finding before the rain began and ended that endeavor. You were correct about what area to look in, but its probably across the street where there's more elevation ;-) Film at 11...

Don't get arrested for trespassing and don't get shot mistaken for a burglar!

it's on Marietta Middle School campus

The 95.3 is coming from a building on the Marietta Middle School campus off of Aviation Rd. You can clearly see a ground plan antenna on a building used by the "Professor Know How" which apparently is a classroom lab on campus.

Here is the party responsible for the station:
http://tlcfun.com/my_school.php

I wonder how Marietta city schools feel about an unlicensed FM station on their property? Sure it's good for the kids, but a bad example IMO not to do it right.

I guess no one listening to 95.5 has complained?

So, the mystery is finally solved. Are they still broadcasting? As I stated when I posted this, they seem to be 'on-air' between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Next time I drive near the Loop, I will have to give it a listen....I have had XM radio so long, I forget about my terrestrial dial when in the car.

How much ERP do you think they're running? Do they sound any better than Radio Disney?

yes they are on the air 24/7. I am not sure what the ERP is, but I'd say 5 to 10 watts. It does get down south cobb drive almost to I-285.
the programming seems to be on a 90 minute loop, most likely recorded off a hard drive or something like that.
they have a very clean sounding signal for a pirate.

if you watch the video on the TLCfun website, you'll see some shots of the "studio" and a sign next to the board that reads "Kids FM 95.3".

I am just surprised that a program like that would not have applied for an LPFM during the last wave. It seems rather odd they would bootleg on the commercial FM band with that kind of power. From what I have read up on the Professor Know-How program, it is a very very good thing and the kids who are in it love it. Teaching science and technology is certainly something that is lacking in the educational system.

It would be a shame to see it tarnished or harmed because of an FCC intervention or negative press from the unlicensed transmitter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom