• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The "New" WINC-FM

They've been going through a transformation over the last week, expanding their spins of 90's, 80's and even 70's during the day, plus they just started using a new imaging person. Sounds good to me so far...

New? It's "The Old" WINC. Back to the Nineties! Standard mainstream AC. Formulaic. Nothing interesting. Ho Hum. "WASH, Too." (Or is it "Fresh, Too")? It would have been great to hear them do an aggressive Modern AC, a much better match with the Northern VA suburbs, their "real" market.

Chances are that Centennial has gotten embarrassed by the consistent "also-ran" showings (behind Country WUSQ) in the tiny Winchester book. Who cares? All the people and all the money are in the eastern half of their signal--a market the size of Baltimore.

Too bad. They're taking their eye off the ball in order to get back to a 12 share in Winchester. Yawn.

Looking at how WINC's signal pattern is depicted at Radio Locater, it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that they're covering the NoVa suburbs with a uniformly strong signal. Western Fairfax County is about as far as it penetrates as a 'local'. Maybe we should praise the owners for catering to their city of licence and surrounding areas, rather than betting their nice asset on a risky rimshot operation. Not that I'm personally a fan of mainstream AC, however!

WINC's Signal blasts into 90% of the DC area. They can be heard clearly not only in Fairfax county but also Montgomery county.

MarkO said:
Looking at how WINC's signal pattern is depicted at Radio Locater, it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that they're covering the NoVa suburbs with a uniformly strong signal. Western Fairfax County is about as far as it penetrates as a 'local'. Maybe we should praise the owners for catering to their city of licence and surrounding areas, rather than betting their nice asset on a risky rimshot operation. Not that I'm personally a fan of mainstream AC, however!

IIRC, they've got a couple of Class A FM sticks in the Valley (Berryville & Strasburg?) that have never done a whole lot. Seems to me they could shift WINC's AC format to that tandem, and continue to do their Winchester thing with them, without risking their financial base, which is probably still rooted in Winchester.

That would allow them to take 92.5 into something geared to the much higher rates to be found in Leesburg-Mannassas and the rest of suburban NoVa.

And all this will happen when the Unicorns start racing at Laurel...

I think it sounds great. Think I'll set a preset for and start listening again. I was wondering if anyone else noticed the tweak. Perhaps the format adjustment will finally drive the dagger into WXVA 610 and finish killing it off.

@RF4U: If what it says on 610's Wiki is true, that they are now mixing in political talk with their full service format, they could start imploding before long...

As of yesterday, WINC has a new jingle package... sounds very retro, probably complements the recent playlist updates...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom