• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

the mighty 1630 kcjj booming into indiana

M

Mid West Clubber

playing what seems like a chr or hot ac format..... all the way from iowa city. first time catch here. 1:07 Am

Ive gotten KCJJ almost regularly at Night heck. the X-band gets out further than the regular band because of less stations up there. I Got a Fox Sports radio network affiliate out of New mexico once. i believe its on 1650 or 1670 but its my only New Meixco catch to date. not counting a trip to the west coast a few times

Midwest,

KCJJ should come into Indiana every night. There are other 1630's in Fort Worth, Augusta and Cheyenne, WY. With just a little patience and the right conditions, every one of those should be doable in your area.

The Wyoming one is Spanish, so that one stands right out. I like to hear an ID before I officially log a station.

As you DX AM more and more, you'll find that better catches are possible. And actually, some people's catches trump mine by a long shot. Some people have sophisticated equipment and can bury local signals to hear foreign languages that otherwise would be impossible. Some are very fluent in Spanish and other languages and can ID these stations. I saw someone logged Venezuela AND Colombia for the first time last night. That puts even this week's positive KSL ID to shame.

From the Chicago area, KCJJ is a pretty easy catch every night. As Mike pointed out, X-banders can really get out there and I have picked up 1700 KVNS Brownsville, TX, 1660 WBCN Charlotte, NC (still seems strange to write that), and 1620 WDHP Fredrickstead, Virgin Islands from Costa Rica. None boast a lot of power but they sure carry far with an open band and high dial position.

Lawppy said:
Midwest,

KCJJ should come into Indiana every night. There are other 1630's in Fort Worth, Augusta and Cheyenne, WY. With just a little patience and the right conditions, every one of those should be doable in your area.

The Wyoming one is Spanish, so that one stands right out. I like to hear an ID before I officially log a station.

As you DX AM more and more, you'll find that better catches are possible. And actually, some people's catches trump mine by a long shot. Some people have sophisticated equipment and can bury local signals to hear foreign languages that otherwise would be impossible. Some are very fluent in Spanish and other languages and can ID these stations. I saw someone logged Venezuela AND Colombia for the first time last night. That puts even this week's positive KSL ID to shame.

1630 KCJJ makes it to PA a few times a week. I get WRDW, Augusta's 1630, also. I've received one Venezuelan station, YVKS 750 kHz a number of times in the colder months. Known as "Radio Caracas Radio", or simply "RCR", it's 100 kW signal makes it to my house in the winter. It's my longest catch at 2,106 miles.

I wonder if I could here it at my other home in hillsville virginia, near the north carolina border.

my one home is in Hillsville va near the nc boarder, but near winston salem and roanoke and wytheville, my Indiana home is in martinsville just about 30 miles south of Indianapolis, yet I cant get Wibc here at night due to their southwest null, but I hear it in va evertytime I tried and it was clear at 500 miles away....

SweetJumper said:
1630 KCJJ makes it to PA a few times a week. I get WRDW, Augusta's 1630, also. I've received one Venezuelan station, YVKS 750 kHz a number of times in the colder months. Known as "Radio Caracas Radio", or simply "RCR", it's 100 kW signal makes it to my house in the winter. It's my longest catch at 2,106 miles.

You are not alone in that - when i lived in Chester County, PA, I would periodically pick up RCR on 750 - perfectly audible under WSB. Once or twice, I've even heard traces of RCR in the background of WSB here in the Chicago area. Ironically, RCR didn't come in all that well at night from Maracay, Venezuela - about 75 miles west of their tx site. I'd blame the mountains for that.

KCJJ gets out pretty far to the east. They were a regular here in NY two winters ago. I read this post this afternoon at work, and I checked 1630 on the car radio on the way home. There was one signal consistently dominant-it was KCJJ (IDed them 3 times). The signal was fair to moderate. I then tuned down to 1040 to compare 'em with WHO. Both signals were roughly equal strength. Power isn't everything-WHO gets hammered by WBZ's sideband jet roar, and KCJJ has the advantage of a clear frequency. Other X-banders who make it regularly from a distance here are WEUP-1700, and the Orlando TIS on 1620 or 1640; I can't recall which offhand. When the frequency is clear, 1,000 watts will keep traveling.

Speaking of Iowa stations, has KXEL changed its pattern over the years? Back in the 60's, they had a very strong signal here every night, and used to duke it out with ZNS, Nassau for second place behind WPTR, although each station used to routinely overtake PTR, and I was only about 125 miles from Albany. Now when I tune to 1540, it's WDCD with a jumble of two stations undereath, but always staying underneath.

sash said:
Power isn't everything-WHO gets hammered by WBZ's sideband jet roar, and KCJJ has the advantage of a clear frequency.

Funny you should mention that because, here in Chicago, it's WHO's jet roar from their listener-ignored IBOC exciter that's absolutely slaughtering WBZ on this end. The interference has become so bad that WBZ is unlistenable here on most nights. Last night I was tuning around and 1030 was a solid wall of hiss that the audio from WBZ often could not even pierce. And, it was absolutely coming from WHO. Terrible situation. Before nighttime IBOC, WBZ was actually pretty clear around here. Even without WHO, some nights it's KDKA that's blocking WBZ with hash out here. That wasn't the case last night, but some nights they are bad too. Then again, WBZ gets even by polluting KDKA's signal with hash - even within their own market.

The area between 1000 and 1120 or so has become a jungle of IBOC sidebands anywhere east of the Mississippi and is particularly horrible in the northeast. It's mutually assured destruction of the MW band, sponsored by the weasels at Ibiquity, CBS Radio and Clear Channel.

IBOC on AM needs to be deactivated immediately, not just because of skywave but because even local stations sound like crap in analog when the exciter is running. For example, I can easily tell when WLS is running it on any of my radios from the thin audio and background hiss that's audible in the signal. The whole concept is flawed.

Sorry for the digression, but your comment got me started..... ;)

BRNout said:
SweetJumper said:

You are not alone in that - when i lived in Chester County, PA, I would periodically pick up RCR on 750 - perfectly audible under WSB. Once or twice, I've even heard traces of RCR in the background of WSB here in the Chicago area. Ironically, RCR didn't come in all that well at night from Maracay, Venezuela - about 75 miles west of their tx site. I'd blame the mountains for that.

Either the mountains or groundwave/skywave cancellation are to blame. It's like WOAI having a pretty poor nighttime signal here in Houston (at least in my experience) and a great one in much of the rest of the country.

BRNout said:
SweetJumper said:

I have heard RCR in Atlanta underneath WSB almost every night during the winter months.

IT_Guru said:
BRNout said:
SweetJumper said:

I have heard RCR in Atlanta underneath WSB almost every night during the winter months.

In Atlanta? I know WSB's groundwave is terrible but that is pretty bad.

schmave said:

I have received it under WSB in the car and on my Sony Walkman inside the house and this was about 15-20 mi from WSB's transmitter. Last winter it was so bad on a couple of nights that I gave up trying to listen to WSB.

I forgot to post earlier a funny thing about KCJJ and WRDW. In Atlanta I usually get KCJJ with no sign of WRDW in Augusta. However in NE Ohio, I can get KCJJ and if I turn the radio in a different direction I can receive WRDW.

schmave said:
[/quote]
I have received it under WSB in the car and on my Sony Walkman inside the house and this was about 15-20 mi from WSB's transmitter. Last winter it was so bad on a couple of nights that I gave up trying to listen to WSB.
[/quote]

Perhaps this is why: http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/id/14238/United_States/Georgia/Atlanta/WSB_AM_750_Tower
WSB's tower is surrounded by concrete and blacktop...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom