• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The "LEEE-DER" on My Space site

K

kirkiefan

Normally I stay away from myspace.com but after google-ing "Jackson Armstrong" it led me to his page..playing a "VERY LOUD" urban R&B tune. If you're a member of myspace give him a holler and tell him I said Hi! Met the "Lee-der" when he worked at the former "13-WIFE" in Indy about 30 some odd years ago.

Jackson Armstrong is a great DJ. I look forward to buying his book. He worked here in Pittsburgh on 1320 AM, WKTQ, "13Q" in the early 70's. I play clips of his broadcast on our station.

SHARC-NET Radio said:
Jackson Armstrong is a great DJ. I look forward to buying his book. He worked here in Pittsburgh on 1320 AM, WKTQ, "13Q" in the early 70's. I play clips of his broadcast on our station.

Indeed!!! I have to look up to the dude. First time I heard him was on an aircheck from 1972 at WKBW on a 12 inch promotional LP entitled "Programmer's Digest" where the station manager was talking about his airstaff leading up to Armstrong. Wish I can find that kick-butt aircheck online somewhere.

There is an audioclip of Jack being interviewd by Joe Madigan of WJCU who is an oldies DJ and a recent grad of John Carrol Univesity near Cleveland. Jack talks about his days at WIXY-1260,the former WKYC-AM and introducing The Beatles in concert.

It can be found at:

http://www.retroradiotop40.com

I remember listening to him on WPOP in Hartford in the late 60's and sometime in the 70's on WKBW. He was so much fun to listen to! I have a video aircheck of him on the Radio and Records 15th anniversary aircheck video! Even after all those years he's still got it!

Bill DeFelice said:
I remember listening to him on WPOP in Hartford in the late 60's and sometime in the 70's on WKBW. He was so much fun to listen to! I have a video aircheck of him on the Radio and Records 15th anniversary aircheck video! Even after all those years he's still got it!

I wholeheatedly agreee....Wish Jack was considered as a replacement for Tom Kent's nighttime shows on TKO Network...Jack has been to so many stations,but never the biggies like CK,WLS and WABC in their Top 40 heyday.....not even considered for an oldies gig at Sirius or XM.

Jack can blow away Howard Stern with his own unique style. At a time when the suits want to throw oldies formats down the toilet, I believe Jack can resurrect it into a powerful show..with the same high energy as Little Walter DeVenne and Cool Bobby B...maybe more so!

I still remember the evening when he was nice enough to let me in when he was doing his Saturday night gig at 13 WIFE in Indy. Wish I took pictures of me shaking hands with the LEE-DER who still rocks!

I rarely post up on boards, but for Jackson - gotta jump in.

Jack is undoubtedly one of the most amazing talents to ever get behind a mic. His talent (and track record) speaks for itself. Jack was my morning guy in Greensboro for several years and he is truely in his own league.

The reason for my post is not about my PD to morning guy aspect with Jack, it is the friend he has become since. He is one of the best calibre human beings that has ever been in/on/around radio.

A previous poster was right, he would have rocked as a replacement for Tom Kent. I am a big Marty Thompson fan (another one of the great human beings in our business) but Jack has so much heritage in so many markets.

And from what he has told me of the book, it will be an amazing read.

Kris Abrams
Program Director, KOOL-FM/Phoenix
(and formerly Jack's PD at WMQX/Greensboro)

Is this the same Jack Armstrong who was the part of the trio of jocks on WEEP 1080 in Pittsburgh way back in the early 60's. WEEP tried to compete with KQV, but it's daytime signal only just couldn't do it.

Kris Abrams said:
Kris Abrams

Kris: Did you work at WRIT 7 or 8 years ago? The reason I ask is that there was a DJ there at the time that called himself "Big Daddy". The guy was great in an "oldies" type format. He sounded like a reincarnation of Wolfman Jack. Last I heard he was in Las Vegas. I know at the time he was dealing with some personal family issues. Just wondering if he's still in radio.

Hey Fonz - yes, that was me. Hired 'Big Daddy' as part of the staff when we changed WZTR to WRIT.
I believe he is out of radio and living in northern California. I keep in touch with Scott Sherwood, Randy Brooks
and some of the other 'RIT staff, but I have lost touch with 'Big' over the last few years.

TheFonz said:
Kris Abrams said:
Kris Abrams

Kris: Did you work at WRIT 7 or 8 years ago? The reason I ask is that there was a DJ there at the time that called himself "Big Daddy". The guy was great in an "oldies" type format. He sounded like a reincarnation of Wolfman Jack. Last I heard he was in Las Vegas. I know at the time he was dealing with some personal family issues. Just wondering if he's still in radio.

I can not express my sadness of the news that Jack has passed away. He TRULY was one of the best to ever get behind a mic. And, more importantly, a great friend. He will always be both to me.

Lots of aircheck links, and Youtube video, of Jack on the Cleveland and Raleigh/Greensboro boards.

Jack's last fulltime gig was doing am drive for Entercom oldies WMQX/Oldies 93 Greensboro/Winston-Salem NC, now a "Wolf" format.

The YouTube stuff of Jack is at the WMJI/WIXY Cleveland Reunion Weekend circa 1988, and of KKHR/Los Angeles.

The WMJI/WIXY vid originally taken by Art Vuolo.

Airchecks of Jack at the 1997 WMJI/WIXY Reunion Weekend posted here
www.chuckmatthewsvoice.com/downloads/misc

Included on the 1997 WMJI/WIXY airchecks... a call from then WMQX PD Kris Abrams!

Great stuff.

More Jack also at http://www.wixy1260.com/

And Big Apple Airchecks plans a tribute to be posted by Friday www.bigappleairchecks.com

Arguably two of the best airchecks out there... Jack at KFRC for the "Virgin Sturgeon" broadcast, and at WNBC for ONE night as the "Unknown DJ".

More than 20 Jack airchecks at www.reelradio.com

He went by many names; Jack Armstrong... "The All-American Boy"... "Motormouth"... "The Fastest Mouth on Radio"...."Big Jack"....and of course... "Your LEEEEDUH!!"

One of a kind. Jack now spinning the hits for the night show in RNR Heaven.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom