• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Fox playing short versions?

The other thing is that the DJs really don't know where the music comes from, other than it's loaded in the automation system. That's the extent of their involvement.
Didn't say it, but this is also coming from one of the regional VPs of one of the corporations. He hemmed and hawed when asked about it and then admitted that the edited versions were coming from corporate. For all I know they did go to the record companies and asked permission. The station I was at years ago always played the full album versions of most stuff [except In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida which was reserved for when a DJ was constipated and needed a realllllly long bathroom break] but I remember the hoo-haw created when we played the unedited versions of Charlie Daniel's " Uneasy Rider" and "Devil Went Down To Georgia". Strangly, no one griped about the Well he's a friend of them long-haired hippie type pinko f***" but guess that was well before the current craziness going on.
Oh, that VP blocked me from commenting on his social media page because I called him out on some BS he posted.

Last edited:
I didn't even know you could get a ½tb drive any more. I just took advantage of Amazon's Prime Day to get six 20tb drives for my new build when the Threadripper 6000 is released!
This was back in the days when 500 gigs was the best you could get. And I upgraded my Dell Dimension to 500 gigs a few years after I got it, I think it only came with either 128 or 250 gigs originally. A close to my house lightening strike took out the Dell laptop I had at the time and seriously screwed up the Dimension, which I still have, just as a very large paper weight.

Actually, the reason why AT40 was expanded to 4 hours had to do with getting more commercial inventory for the show, which was mostly paid for by the national advertisers who financed Watermark. Stations, at the most, paid a moderate charge for "shipping and handling" but gave up about half of the commercial time to Watermark.

Further, a lot of stations wanted more hours of the show as it was a cheap way to get some revenue and to avoid having to pay a DJ to do one of those weekend shifts where stations ran the show.

Casey did not make the decisions on song count, song length or show length. He was the talent for the show. Tom Rounds, and for some years, Ron Jacobs, did the management formatic decisions. Much of what Casey said on the air was scripted by producer Don Bustany and writers.

The web is filled with articles and messages that Bustany and Kasem "co-created" AT40, which is an absolute falsehood. Rounds called in Jacobs and they created the concept, including the novel idea of doing shows on a barter ad-financed basis. Tom and Ron were Drake's PDs at KFRC and KHJ and veterans of some the earliest pre-Woodstock huge outdoor shows and together they created the concept and then hired a voice and a producer to give it life.
And didn't Casey do the whole show "live" as it were until at some point he just came in, read all the liners/scripts and then they edited the songs in....voice tracking as it were. Probably get the whole talking stuff out of the way in a 1/2 hour and out the door he went.

And didn't Casey do the whole show "live" as it were until at some point he just came in, read all the liners/scripts and then they edited the songs in....voice tracking as it were. Probably get the whole talking stuff out of the way in a 1/2 hour and out the door he went.

I was just a kid in elementary school when I first started listening to AT40, so I had no idea that the countdown wasn't being done in real time. I mentioned in another post that I thought the MTV announcers were broadcasting live until guest VJ Eddie Murphy mentioned that his segments were taped in advance. Mind blown, LOL!

It was intended to be run at different times on different stations in different time zones. Originally, it was on 33 1/3 RPM disks.

It was intended to be run at different times on different stations in different time zones. Originally, it was on 33 1/3 RPM disks.
That I knew. Back in the late 70s/early 80s I ran across several dozen AT40 discs in a record store. Alas, I was between jobs at the time and couldn't afford to grab any of them. I still kick myself to this day. I knew they came from one of the Cleveland stations but the record store owner refused to say which one. I have a sneaky suspicion who it might have been that sold/gave them to the dealer. But, as the Go-Gos sang "My Lips Are Sealed".

He had to get Don on the phone!

That I knew. Back in the late 70s/early 80s I ran across several dozen AT40 discs in a record store. Alas, I was between jobs at the time and couldn't afford to grab any of them. I still kick myself to this day. I knew they came from one of the Cleveland stations but the record store owner refused to say which one. I have a sneaky suspicion who it might have been that sold/gave them to the dealer. But, as the Go-Gos sang "My Lips Are Sealed".
I think it was WGCL 98.5 FM who ran "American Top 40", as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom