• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Fish Vs K-Love

K-Love (WAKL/106.7) was on the air for 68% of the June PPM, which covered May 23-June 19.

In the June monthly, The Fish jumped from a 7.9 to an 8.8 share (P6+).

K-Love of course does not show up in the public ratings because they have no need to be a subscriber. I could ask a salesperson for a ranker in order to see K-Love, but does a station have to encode to be measured in a PPM market? (David, are you out there?) I don't see any reason why K-Love would bother to encode unless they wanted an idea of how much in contributions they should expect.

The ratings this early for K-Love would be meaningless anyway since very few people probably know they are on the air.

I assume K-Love will encode their signal. There are many markets where EMF even subscribes to the ratings.

K-Love (WAKL/106.7) was on the air for 68% of the June PPM, which covered May 23-June 19.

In the June monthly, The Fish jumped from a 7.9 to an 8.8 share (P6+).

K-Love of course does not show up in the public ratings because they have no need to be a subscriber. I could ask a salesperson for a ranker in order to see K-Love, but does a station have to encode to be measured in a PPM market? (David, are you out there?) I don't see any reason why K-Love would bother to encode unless they wanted an idea of how much in contributions they should expect.

The ratings this early for K-Love would be meaningless anyway since very few people probably know they are on the air.

Every station that is home to a PPM market is given encoders for all its "sources"... AM, FM, stream, HD-2, HD-3 whether subscribed or not.

An encoder is required to show in the market report, as that is the only way Nielsen can quantify listening.

Rimshots and out of market stations that are not home to the market can rent an encoder for very little.

Stations are encouraged to encode, as the PUR for the market is based on the total usage of radio of all stations. There's a Contemporary Christian station in Orlando that refuses to encode and so the PUR in Orlando is measurably lower than other similar markets. That does a great deal of damage to the ad buyer's perception of radio and affects the whole industry. To me, any station that refuses to encode in a PPM market is a bad member of the broadcast community.

You're correct about some EMF stations subscribing because WPLJ showed up with a 1.5 share, which I suppose is 32% Cumulus and 68% EMF.

The last 2 weeks of the book, in 12+, EMF's format had a 0.5 and 0.6.

Stations are encouraged to encode, as the PUR for the market is based on the total usage of radio of all stations. There's a Contemporary Christian station in Orlando that refuses to encode and so the PUR in Orlando is measurably lower than other similar markets. That does a great deal of damage to the ad buyer's perception of radio and affects the whole industry. To me, any station that refuses to encode in a PPM market is a bad member of the broadcast community.

Why should the people who own and operate Christian-oriented radio stations give a holy hoot how much money secular stations are making? A struggling CHR or AC station goes belly up, great, an opportunity to reach those listeners with music that sounds like what they've lost but carries a Christian message. If not encoding has that devastating an effect on the radio advertising economy of a given market, I'm surprised that all Christian stations, whether CCM or teach-and-preach, don't encode.

Why should the people who own and operate Christian-oriented radio stations give a holy hoot how much money secular stations are making? A struggling CHR or AC station goes belly up, great, an opportunity to reach those listeners with music that sounds like what they've lost but carries a Christian message. If not encoding has that devastating an effect on the radio advertising economy of a given market, I'm surprised that all Christian stations, whether CCM or teach-and-preach, don't encode.

It's not about "how much money". It is about the usage and relevance of radio.

For example, if automakers feel fewer people are using radio, they may make terrestrial radio a less prominent feature in car sound systems.

And if the commercial station have a harder time being profitable, programming suffers. And a lessened use of radio hurts all stations, commercial and non-commercial.

Driving home from Stone Mountain I saw 2 K Love billboards (one on Memorial and Rockbridge and the other on 285 south near Covington Hwy) so I assume they are all over town and will at least make K love known so that should help the ratings. Fish and Joy FM fans are probably not looking to change so 106.7 will never be a major contender and the Fish should continue its high ratings.

Some radio industry people have told me that K-Love typically takes about 25-30% of the Fish audience in other markets where they have launched against a long established Salem Communications Fish format.

K-Love actually has a little better signal on 106.7 than FSH has on 104.7 so that might help them but WVFJ has a long established audience in parts of the Atlanta market so maybe that will lessen the impact.

K-Love typically takes their time in building an audience but once they get established it seems the AC format typically builds and builds to about a 2 to 3 share in the markets where they are ratings subscribers.

If they do the same in Atlanta, considering the top station only has an 8 share, it will be a significant achievement.

Driving home from Stone Mountain I saw 2 K Love billboards (one on Memorial and Rockbridge and the other on 285 south near Covington Hwy) so I assume they are all over town and will at least make K love known so that should help the ratings. Fish and Joy FM fans are probably not looking to change so 106.7 will never be a major contender and the Fish should continue its high ratings.

I've seen a Marta Bus with a KLOVE ad on the side in the Buckhead area.

Right before K-Love went on the air, The Fish was running billboards that read, "104.7 The Fish. Love." It was a preemptive strike but kind of a waste of money since they don't seem to be continuing it.

Even if they did continue it, I'm not sure it would really have had an effect. In the diary days, a typical trick was to use a new competitor's slogans on the air to confuse listeners. The result was usually the station that was in the format first would get credit for some of the competitor's listeners. But, that trick doesn't work with the PPM.

I think all music sounds awful on today's FM processing setup, so my opinion is not objective. Has the processing of K-Love 106.7 improved? I tuned in yesterday and listened for 30 seconds before I was angry at the radio because of the bad sound, so I have to depend on of your kinder, gentler ears to tell me if it has improved.... by the way, I have the same reaction to the sound on the country stations.

Has the processing of K-Love 106.7 improved?

One thing to consider is when evaluating the sound of an EMF station: You also have to take into account the transmission method of the format from its point of origination to Atlanta. Because the music you hear doesn't originate in Atlanta.

EMF turns on the HD Tuesday for 106.7fm so now we have the main Christian AC format on HD1, "Air 1" the contemporary worship station on HD2 and "K Love Classics" focusing on the songs from the 80s,90s and early 2000's (about 25 years). It happened earlier than I expected but made me happy.

Listened yesterday and the sound was much better. Still too compressed like most modern FM radio, but not abnormally bad.

The main K Love feed is off the air in Atlanta right now. I am getting K Love classics on HD1 and HD3. One is running behind the other one. The title and artist on HD1 is showing the main K love song playing but not in ATlanta right now. I knew they had legal id issues on all signals but that seems to be fixed

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom