• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

THE Best LPFM Call Sign: WEAK-LP Athens, OH

Literally... :LOL:

Listener: "Hey, your signal is WEAK!"
Radio Station: "Yep!"

Saw this one in today's broadcast application list and thought it was one of the most clever (and hilarious) use of calls I've seen.

Curious if there are any others that may be equally entertaining that you may have run across?

I worked over 20 years part-time for the gentleman (a small group owner) that built this station.

I worked over 20 years part-time for the gentleman (a small group owner) that built this station.
Greg, not looking good for WEAK, unfortunately.

Per LPFMDatabase.com's Facebook post:

"The station's lease of the tower site at 6747 State Highway 56, Athens, Ohio, has been cancelled.
The tower owner will be removing the tower shortly. Hobby Radio is exploring other possible sites.

In the alternative, the licensee is seeking other possible qualified not-for-profit entities who might be interested in acquiring the license."

Thanks for the update, StevenNOLA. If I lived in the area, I would be interested in being part of the process to properly keep it going at another site.

Last edited:
WOKE-LP, Fort Myers, FL
WINO, Watkins Glen, NY (remember the George Carlin skit?)
KQRP-LP, Malakoff, TX (Low Power)

The country group the Statler Brothers had a comedy routine where they played Lester "Roadhog" Moran and his Cadillac Cowboys and they did some albums where they were doing a live radio show on WEAK radio. I'm not a big country music fan, but I always thought this was hilarious :) :

Crooked Creek is a remote Alaskan village with a population of less than 100 people. It's amazing that they have a radio station at all.

It's a 24/7 relay of KSKO, fed by internet.

For community size, McCarthy, Alaska had been about 28 people for many years but Wikipedia claims the 2020 population is 107. There is 180 watt KXKM and a 250 watt translator K232DL. These stations reach only this isolated population reached only by an abandoned railroad bed for a road that guidebooks claim creates a 4 hour trip and sometimes a few flat tires. Maximum speed 15mph. Worst, you have to park on one side of the river by the town and pulley yourself across the river in a what was described to me as a 4 person thing that would be about like a chair lift with cage around it. There's not another settlement for about 50-60 miles.

Back
Top Bottom