• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Beatles filled Shea in 1956. Could Elvis have filled Yankee Stadium in 1957

landtuna said:
The Beatles may have rocked Noo Yawk but they couldn't fill Candlestick Park to even half capacity in 1968.  Four short years after they twinged every pre and tween girl in Noo Yawk they competed with the Rolling Stones in concerts in Candlestick.  The Beatles lost....badly.  A year later they broke up.

When the Fab Four played their finale at Candlestick, the ballpark was still in its original 42,000 seat baseball-only configuration. For reasons of security and crowd control, only 24,000 seats were made available for this show, and they sold out quickly.

The same thing was done a year earlier in San Diego, when the Beatles played at Balboa Stadium, which was a 35,000 seat double-decked horseshoe. Having gone to many football games there, I can tell you first hand that parking was very problematic. Only 20,000 seats were made available for this show, all on one side of the stadium. The other side was probably their escape route to the nearby 5 freeway.

Wasn't Candlestick expanded for the 49ers by the time the Stones played there? I would bet my 45 spindles that that was the case.

Come to think of it, the Stones album "Get Yer Ya-Yas' Out", released 1970, wasn't that recorded in Oakland?

Re: The Beatles filled Shea in 19. Could Elvis have filled Yankee Stadium in 1957

Full(er) disclosure: The morning I started this thread, I was in a rush getting ready to head out the door to work. Thus the typo on the year.

ixnay

RicoGregg said:
When the Fab Four played their finale at Candlestick, the ballpark was still in its original 42,000 seat baseball-only configuration. For reasons of security and crowd control, only 24,000 seats were made available for this show, and they sold out quickly.

I can't answer that question. I was living in the Bay Area then and remember the news stories that the stadium wasn't at capacity but don't remember hearing that its capacity was restricted. IIRC, KYA was the big promotion station for that event.

TheFonz said:
No, the Beatles filled Shea in 1966. They were barely out of diapers in 1956.
He made a correction somewhere in this thread. Still, I don't see why the need for a subject line correction on a thread two years old that had been buried for two years. ???

At any rate, it is my understanding that the Police sold out Shea (1983-ish) in less time than it took the Beatles to sell out Shea in 1965. I don't know if the seating capacity of Shea was changed during the intervening years, or how many of those seats were made available for either show. I'm thinking that changes in technology probably enabled the Police to sell out faster, but even in the '80s, they didn't have the internet yet.

firepoint525 said:
TheFonz said:
No, the Beatles filled Shea in 1966. They were barely out of diapers in 1956.
He made a correction somewhere in this thread. Still, I don't see why the need for a subject line correction on a thread two years old that had been buried for two years. ???

At any rate, it is my understanding that the Police sold out Shea (1983-ish) in less time than it took the Beatles to sell out Shea in 1965. I don't know if the seating capacity of Shea was changed during the intervening years, or how many of those seats were made available for either show. I'm thinking that changes in technology probably enabled the Police to sell out faster, but even in the '80s, they didn't have the internet yet.

We didn't have the internet (really the www) yet, but business sort of did, I think, and anyway they had 800 numbers, touch-tone phones, and credit cards, so I'm thinking selling out a concert could happen a lot faster by then.

Did Ticketmasters of the Universe already have a monopoly on everything by then?

unitron said:
We didn't have the internet (really the www) yet, but business sort of did, I think, and anyway they had 800 numbers, touch-tone phones, and credit cards, so I'm thinking selling out a concert could happen a lot faster by then.

Did Ticketmasters of the Universe already have a monopoly on everything by then?

The difference in technology between 1965 and 1983 was substantial but even by '83 there was no public 'internet'.

In 1983, as in 1965, most concert tickets were purchased over the phone through brokers or through the box offices of the various venues. By '83 the phone systems were largely automated.

firepoint525 said:

Not really. Read carefully! The thread was resurrected on 9/22/2012

TheFonz said:
firepoint525 said:
Read more carefully. The thread was last posted to on 12-4-10 and was only resurrected on 9-22-12 only to request the aforementioned correction. Prior to that, it had indeed been dead for almost two years.

firepoint525 said:
TheFonz said:
firepoint525 said:
Read more carefully. The thread was last posted to on 12-4-10 and was only resurrected on 9-22-12 only to request the aforementioned correction. Prior to that, it had indeed been dead for almost two years.

I stand corrected. The correction was made way back on 11-27-10. Anyone picking up the thread when it was resurrecrted on 9-22-12 learned about the typo, but might not have known the correct year without reading back. Hopefully my post helped with that. Not sure why the original poster felt it necessary to resurrect the post almost 2 years later, tho.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom