• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Temu Ads

Is anyone else being overloaded with Temu ads? I'll admit I've looked at some of the items on them but I've never bought anything from them. But they seem to override any other ads. I know that some of this is controlled by Google, but can something be done about this?

You might simply delete your browser history and then not click on any more ads from Temu. Many of the ads are targeted toward the user. For instance, several months ago I was looking for lighting fixtures. For weeks after that, nearly every ad that popped up was for a lighting company or selling lights. Last Christmas I was searching for a specific gift and got a bunch of ads from companies selling the same or similar. It's the same with Temu. If you see an ad for Temu, either in one of the Google ads or even in your social media feeds and you click on and view it, that usually only leads to more. Clearing your browser history should help.

Is anyone else being overloaded with Temu ads? I'll admit I've looked at some of the items on them but I've never bought anything from them. But they seem to override any other ads. I know that some of this is controlled by Google, but can something be done about this?
Google Adsense chooses its ads based on your browsing history. If it cannot find something relevant and an advertiser wanting to be on this site, you get the generic ads like Temu, which come from nearly hundreds of ad networks buying the placements.

I never bought anything from Temu, but I am swamped with Temu ads, especially on my smart phone. The ads cover up a lot of messages here, which is annoying. I have read that Temu will take all the personal information it can from you and sell it as often as they can. It's kind of like dealing with Tik-Tok. Those can be invasive websites. Temu has such low prices, that it is enticing to place an order with them, but then I start to think that maybe their goods are produced with labor in a prison camp, or someplace without human rights. -- Daryl

You might simply delete your browser history and then not click on any more ads from Temu. Many of the ads are targeted toward the user. For instance, several months ago I was looking for lighting fixtures. For weeks after that, nearly every ad that popped up was for a lighting company or selling lights. Last Christmas I was searching for a specific gift and got a bunch of ads from companies selling the same or similar. It's the same with Temu. If you see an ad for Temu, either in one of the Google ads or even in your social media feeds and you click on and view it, that usually only leads to more. Clearing your browser history should help.
My wife orders from Temu frequently, of course I get the ads. Lately since I developed an issue that has caused me some vision loss in one eye, browsed YouTube for my condition (which I'm being treated for) every single ad I get anywhere is for macular degeneration (even though that's not my issue).

Temu is a Chinese company. I would be careful with my personal info on that site. I am not worried. They e Chinese already have my address from parts I have ordered from Fry's, eBay and a couple of other sites that shipped from directly from China.

I try not to buy anything from Ebay that ships directly from China because of it taking longer to get to me unless there's no big rush. But in most cases I want what I order ASAP.

Sometimes there is no mention of shipping from China. There are not a lot of places to buy "non computer" parts in North Georgia. Back in the day you could buy some stuff or order some stuff at Radio Shack (relays, connectors, etc). Some manufacturers have parts and support, but If you are dealing with 10 year or older equipment sometimes it can be hard to get what you need.

I just got a new (Actually refurbished) laptop and got onto this website without logging in and it was still overloaded with Temu ads. So it isn't only because of past times I may have gone to that site.

I just got a new (Actually refurbished) laptop and got onto this website without logging in and it was still overloaded with Temu ads. So it isn't only because of past times I may have gone to that site.

Ads sometimes track by IP address or household as well. I see ads for things my wife looks at on her phone on my devices even though I didn't, nor her, use my devices to look at those sites.

According to this Wired article, Temu planned to spend $1.3 billion on ads in the United States in 2023 and is planning on spending $4.3 billion this year. I’m overloaded with Temu ads, as well…and I’ve never purchased from them or even visited their website. I don’t plan on doing so either!

Ads sometimes track by IP address or household as well. I see ads for things my wife looks at on her phone on my devices even though I didn't, nor her, use my devices to look at those sites.
Same here. I've searched for or purchased stuff using my laptop, then for the next few days ads for those same types of items pop up in my Facebook and Instagram feeds on my phone. It actually angers me a bit because if I'm looking at stuff to buy a gift for my better half, I don't really want ads for those items showing up on their devices when they log on. Kinda spoils the surprise if they get suspicious when they're all of a sudden getting bombarded with ads for a certain type of merchandise.

Recently it has been where on my phone I've been getting more Ebay ads than Temu, but on my laptop I'm still overloaded with Temu ads, even though I've been determined not to click on them even except by accident.

Recently it has been where on my phone I've been getting more Ebay ads than Temu, but on my laptop I'm still overloaded with Temu ads, even though I've been determined not to click on them even except by accident.
Try the Duck Duck go browser. Its not perfect but unless I put in my address or order something I usually don't see weird stuff in my in box.

Back
Top Bottom