• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Teams carried far outside of their markets

It's always been interesting to me when a local station on one side of the country agrees to carry every game for a team on the other side. Particularly, KGAB Cheyenne's carriage of the Buffalo Bills was intriguing, but what other examples can you all think of? Also, the Nebraska Cornhuskers were carried on 600 KCOL for a while, I wonder why that went away?

It's always been interesting to me when a local station on one side of the country agrees to carry every game for a team on the other side. Particularly, KGAB Cheyenne's carriage of the Buffalo Bills was intriguing, but what other examples can you all think of? Also, the Nebraska Cornhuskers were carried on 600 KCOL for a while, I wonder why that went away?
When Curt Gowdy was doing play-by-play for the Red Sox in the '60s -- and into the '70s after Gowdy was long gone -- a station in his home state of Wyoming was on the Red Sox radio network.

It also used to be fairly common for teams to have network affiliates in their spring training hometowns, especially in Florida. Not sure if any still carry on this practice today.

When Curt Gowdy was doing play-by-play for the Red Sox in the '60s -- and into the '70s after Gowdy was long gone -- a station in his home state of Wyoming was on the Red Sox radio network.

It also used to be fairly common for teams to have network affiliates in their spring training hometowns, especially in Florida. Not sure if any still carry on this practice today.
What an absolute legend Gowdy was!

As @CTListener correctly states, many MLB baseball teams from up north would broadcast their games on stations in their spring training camp locations in Florida, Arizona, etc. so fans there could come and watch the team during spring training, then hear the regular season games broadcast there.

The other thing I've seen is when large numbers of college alumni or major league sports fans from a particular city would gravitate to a specific area of the country, to the point where there becomes a large concentration of them, and you'd at times see an affiliate pop up there for a far away team. That was especially true if one or more of those alumni or fans owned business(es) that were willing to sponsor the games and pay for the airtime. This was somewhat prevalent in Florida when the snowbirds and retirees from a particular city up north would settle either seasonally or for retirement. I didn't look to see if this is still a trend at all, but my guess is it's not as prevalent since anyone with an internet connection or smartphone should be able to find at least one station somewhere in the country carrying the particular game(s) they want to hear.

Last edited:
The LA Dodgers and NY Yankees have an affiliate in Honolulu. The Yankees also have an affiliate in their spring training market of Tampa, as CTListener referenced.

The Mariners have several affiliates in Alaska.

The Braves have affiliates all over the Southeast. And in the US Virgin Islands, on WVWI 1000.

The LA Dodgers and NY Yankees have an affiliate in Honolulu. The Yankees also have an affiliate in their spring training market of Tampa, as CTListener referenced.

The Mariners have several affiliates in Alaska.

The Braves have affiliates all over the Southeast. And in the US Virgin Islands, on WVWI 1000.
Wow, even the USVI can follow Atlanta! I've heard that the Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL)have a wide following?

As @CTListener correctly states, many MLB baseball teams from up north would broadcast their games on stations in their spring training camp locations in Florida, Arizona, etc. so fans there could come and watch the team during spring training, then hear the regular season games broadcast there.

The Mets used to have their games carried on WMTW 94.9 -- the current WHOM, atop Mount Washington -- so their owner, Joan Payson, could follow the team from her summer home in Maine.

AM 1170 in Montgomery, AL (Braves territory) used to carry the Chicago Cubs in the late 80's. AM 740 was a Reds affiliate in the mid 90's. This resulted co-owned AM 950 to carry Gary Burbank's WLW show, which I very much appreciated.

The Seattle Mariners were on (then) KQNG 570 on Kauai, Hawaii for weekend games only. I'm not sure if that is still the case. They have affiliates in AK because it's the closest team. There is no major league sports team whatsoever in Alaska. The default MLB team is the Mariners, likewise, the default NFL team is the Seahawks for most Alaskans.

The Seattle Mariners were on (then) KQNG 570 on Kauai, Hawaii for weekend games only. I'm not sure if that is still the case. They have affiliates in AK because it's the closest team. There is no major league sports team whatsoever in Alaska. The default MLB team is the Mariners, likewise, the default NFL team is the Seahawks for most Alaskans.
Yeah, I think the Seahawks are on 700 in Anchorage

The ultimate example of this is the Blue Jays Radio Network. Since the Blue Jays are the de facto home team for all of Canada, their radio network stretches from Vancouver BC to Halifax NS--a distance of 2761 miles.

The CIncinnati Reds are still in 6 states, (but mostly 4). There are odd affiliates in Tennessee and Virginia. Not like the Big Red Machine days but still a big network. Crawfordsville IN has had a Reds affiliate for decades, where it's probably more Cubs country. Indianapolis has been Reds country but I think that's shifted to Cubs.

Going back to the Seahawks, they have one on 990 in Hawaii.
How about internationally? I'd bet a lot of Northern US teams have a following in Canada, vice/versa, such as CFAC being a Broncos affiliate, and the Seahawks have several BC stations.

QB Josh Allen played at the university of Wyoming in Laramie (by Cheyenne) so that’s probably why ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom