• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Taylor Hawkins, drummer from Foo Fighters has passed away at 50.

Oof I remember the Foo Fighters at their peak in the late 1990's and early 2000's. RIP to one of their band members who left.

Here is one crazy coincidence

The film's premise came out of their work on their 10th studio album at a home in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley.

Hawkins was Foo Fighters' drummer for 25 of the band's 28 years of existence, taking over for original drummer William Goldsmith in 1997.

Born Oliver Taylor Hawkins in Fort Worth Texas in 1972, Hawkins was raised in Laguna Beach, California. He played in the small Southern California band Sylvia before landing his first major gig as a drummer for Canadian singer Sass Jordan. He then spent the mid-1990s as the touring drummer for Alanis Morissette before Grohl asked him to join the Foo Fighters.

It's the second time Grohl has experienced the death of a close bandmate. Grohl was the drummer for Nirvana when Kurt Cobain died in 1994.

Hawkins is survived by his wife Alison and their three children.

Whoa! Most often in the "In Memoriam" section we find obits about older musicians, performers, actors and political and public figures who's most active time in the public eye and spotlight had passed. It's not often that one sees someone younger who's still active go like this. While I enjoyed the Foo Fighters, I wasn't one of their close followers. That said, I have a number of friends who followed them religiously and commented about their music and performances often. I'm sure they'll be devasated.

According to DailyMail, Hawkins was found unresponsive in his hotel room in Colombia. Obviously that could mean a number of things. No potential cause has been mentioned yet:

Oof I remember the Foo Fighters at their peak in the late 1990's and early 2000's. RIP to one of their band members who left.
Actually, they're still quite popular and have new, great-sounding material out right now, hence the tour. They also recently released a movie that, as I understand it, has a sort of "This Is Spinal Tap" vibe to it. Unfortunately, the toxicology reports have confirmed my worst fears. The Seattle music scene, and those associated with it, has certainly lost a lot of musicians. RIP Jimi Hendrix, Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, Scott Weiland, and now, Mr. Hawkins. (No disrespect if I overlooked anyone.)

The question is was that the cause or his death or did it contribute to it. He might have just had a bad heart that could have gone without the drugs in his system.
Right. While the Billboard article below also mentions that numerous drugs were found during toxicology tests, it also makes mention of the initial ambulance call being for someone experiencing chest pains. So was this someone with a (well documented past and present) substance abuse problem who happened to have a potential heat attack, or a case where substance abuse lead to the untimely death of yet another celebrity musician?

Although Hawkins’ cause of death has not been confirmed, the Attorney General’s Office of Colombia on Saturday evening reported that a urine toxicology test had found 10 types of substances in his system, including THC (marijuana), tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines and opioids.
On Saturday, the Bogotá mayor’s office issued a press release that said the emergency center received a call Friday night about a patient with “chest pains” in a hotel located in the northern part of the city. An ambulance was sent out, and upon arrival the medical staff encountered a team from a private ambulance service. Health workers attempted to revive Hawkins with CPR, but they were unable to do so and he was declared dead.

I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan. When I saw that Taylor had died it was unreal. I am still stunned. I've seen them live 6 times and everytime, it's like a family reunion with loud music and partying.

Taylor was an awesome drummer, a great singer and a funny dude. He was well respected by his peers. A few years ago at a concert he sang Queen's song "Under Pressure" with Roger Taylor of Queen on drums. That's respect and it was so cool to see live. Last time I saw them he sang the Bee Gees "You Should Be Dancing". Unbelievable at a rock concert.

I know me and my wife will miss him very much.

The greatest drumming performance of "Young Man Blues" since Keith Moon:

Not a big fan of the Foos, however, I've seen them twice. The first time was in Sept. 1997 opening for Rage Against The Machine.

Next time was just last month (2/26/22) in Tempe while on assignment covering the baseball-themed Innings Fest. Pretty stunned after hearing about Taylor's passing literally a month later. Sad news indeed.

R.I.P. Mr. Hawkins. ☹️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom