• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tampa Bay - June 2011 PPM's - DUV Dethroned!

The New Guy said:
DJghr1 said:
Where else are you gonna hear: Percy Sledge "When A Man Loves A Woman", Champaign "How 'Bout Us", Debby Boone "You Light Up My Life", Lulu "To Sir With Love", Klymaxx "I Miss You", Selena "I Could Fall In Love" and ABBA's "Fernando" in one hour?

The other "Dove" in Sarasota?

Ive never quite understand the logic in having identical station branding in markets right next to one another...

Even more odd is that WDUV/Tampa is owned by COX and WDDV 1320 Venice/WSDV 1450 Sarasota are owned by CC.

Also, it's worth pointing out that even though WDUV has held the top spot 12+, and now 6+, for a long time, is ONLY because it dominates the 55+ crowd. WDUV doesn't make the top 10 25-54 and I don't believe it even makes the top 10 35-64 outside of morning drive.

WDUV seems to be updating playlist. Heard one of those 90's boy bands last night.

WDUV is just so boring. it's not the music, but the stale liners that have not changed in over 10 years. They also need some personalities. Seems like Tampa has plenty of unemployed veteran talent.

I only listen at night. During the day I prefer Q105 cause they at least try to have some personality.

Also WDUV is sounding more and more like the other stations. As you say, boring - not enough variety, including adult standards.

The New Guy said:
DJghr1 said:
Where else are you gonna hear: Percy Sledge "When A Man Loves A Woman", Champaign "How 'Bout Us", Debby Boone "You Light Up My Life", Lulu "To Sir With Love", Klymaxx "I Miss You", Selena "I Could Fall In Love" and ABBA's "Fernando" in one hour?

The other "Dove" in Sarasota?

Ive never quite understand the logic in having identical station branding in markets right next to one another...

Originally WDUV 103.5 and WAMR-AM 1320 were both owned by Clear Channel. When WDUV was operating on 103.5, its signal covered Tampa Bay, Sarasota and Venice quite well. However, when Clear Channel merged with Jacor Communications, Clear Channel acquired WTBT-FM 105.5 and four additional Tampa Bay FM stations from Jacor resulting in Clear Channel having 10-FM stations and a hand full of AM stations that covered the Bay area. Clear Channel was forced to sell 5-Tampa Bay FM stations in addition to a few of the AM stations to comply with local FCC ownership caps. Some of those “spin-offs” were sold to Cox Radio which included the 105.5 C1 frequency. Clear Channel also sold to Cox the intellectual property rights associated with The Dove.

Due to the success of the classic rock Thunder format that was on 105.5 at the time, and the better signal that 103.5 provided over Tampa Bay, Clear Channel elected to trade formats, placing WDUV on the present 105.5 frequency while WTBT “Thunder 105.5” moved to Clear Channel's 103.5 becoming “Thunder 103.5”.

Lastly, considering 105.5 does not have the signal coverage over Sarasota / Bradenton / Venice that 103.5 has, it was decided by mutual agreement between Clear Channel and Cox Radio the Dove would be made available on WAMR-AM 1320 with a call letter change to WDDV “The Dove” to better serve the Sarasota, Bradenton and Venice markets with the Dove programming due to the loss of the Dove’s beautiful music programming previously heard on 103.5.

MsMusicRadio said:
WDUV seems to be updating playlist. Heard one of those 90's boy bands last night.

WDUV is just so boring. it's not the music, but the stale liners that have not changed in over 10 years. They also need some personalities. Seems like Tampa has plenty of unemployed veteran talent.

I only listen at night. During the day I prefer Q105 cause they at least try to have some personality.

"Continous, Relaxing Easy Favorites." and "#1 Station in Tampa Bay". How many time must we hear those automated liners. I only use them as a sleep aid as well. However I can't quite pick up WRBQ in Citrus County. So wish I could. However I can still hear Marvelous Marv on WJQB.  ;D ;D Just wish it was a local oldies channel and not a "True Oldies" satelite. Howver at least JQB has a local morning show. Not like all the other TOC stations. Oh and I'm still upset that JQB is not doing the local Doo-Wop shop anymore and replaced it with Scott Shannons "Crusin America".

I once saw a WDUV remote set up in front of a casket store. But that doesn't take away from the fact that the station is huge with Depends-wearing octogenerians who keep their PPM meters active by farting every 10 minutes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom