• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Symetrix/AirTools Voice Processor 2x and 6200

I guess I haven't been staying in the loop - It looks like the Symetrix AirTools 6200 Voice Processor was discontinued when the 2x was released. Has the 2x been discontinued too? With the success of the 528E, couldn't Symetrix make these units mass appeal? If both these units have disappeared from the market, what is everyone currently using for external (from the broadcast console) voice processing? I thought the 6200 was excellent (a little pricey for some, yes), as it gave you both front panel control setup, and network control setup.

We use the Wheatstone M4 and M1, have had great luck with them. In more basic applications I have seen allot of DBX 286s. I have heard good things about the Omnia VOCO 8, but haven't got to use one just yet.

Wheatstone M4, but also the Aura8 IP has 8 processors similar to the M4, just no mic preamps. In one small studio I used the mic preamps in the console blade to feed Aura8 processors then routed them back to the console faders.

Frankly, the 528e was my "utility belt" processor for a very long time. Still hard to beat. But you know, today you can adjust your mic processing from your laptop anywhere in the world while listening to the results on a return stream. Got to say, pretty cool, and you can't do that with a 528.

I guess I haven't been staying in the loop - It looks like the Symetrix AirTools 6200 Voice Processor was discontinued when the 2x was released. Has the 2x been discontinued too? With the success of the 528E, couldn't Symetrix make these units mass appeal? If both these units have disappeared from the market, what is everyone currently using for external (from the broadcast console) voice processing? I thought the 6200 was excellent (a little pricey for some, yes), as it gave you both front panel control setup, and network control setup.

The 2X is gone as well - in fact Symetrix looks to be completely out of the mic processing market. Other than something like a DBX 286S you're going to be hard-pressed to find anything straight analog these days.

Thanks for the confirmation. End of an era I guess. I've used the DBX 286S, and even though I like the sound of the pre-amp, I didn't like the sound of the Expander Section (I can hear it working). That is one thing I've always loved about the 528E's, I could never hear the Expander Section(s) working. I feel the same way about any audio processing - I don't want to hear it working. I was excited when I got my hands on an M4, but no matter how hard I tried, I could never find a sound or setting that I liked out of it. Sold it. Now, the Symetrix/Air Tools 6200? Wow, that is one impressive (in sound and features) microphone processor! I only wish I had discovered it sooner, as I would have bought more for the stations I have engineered over the years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom