• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sure would love to get David Eduardo's take on profanity and racial slurs on radio ... see posts below David ...

P

Phantom

Sure would love to get David Eduardo's take on profanity and racial slurs on radio ... see posts below David ...

Let us know David.

or email [email protected]<P ID="signature">______________
Tony Lyndell Williams</P>

Re: Sure would love to get David Eduardo's take on profanity and racial slurs on radio ... see posts below David ...

> Let us know David.

Likewise perhaps David can offer additional insights on
this related matter, as taken from an article in the
15 AUG 2005 edition of R&R Online:

``Univision has also agreed to sensitivity training for
employees in its five biggest markets, Gay and Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation Media Director Monica Taher
told the San Francisco Chronicle. That action was offered
separately from the arbitration. Taher told the newspaper
that insensitivity to gays and lesbians is "rampant" in
Spanish-language media.''

I can't recall if this agreement arose due to an on-air incident
or it was an internal matter at a Univision property.

When David participates in this thread, I'd also like to know
if the term ``gringo'' is considered appropriate on Univison
stations?

Re: Not much I can say. It´s defenseless.

> Let us know David.

I have not heard any of the things supposedly said on Free FM in Dallas. Ain't my type of station, and the ocmments here certainly don't make me interested in hearing it.

As all know, there are terms in every ethnic and race defined group that members of the group can say among themselves that a non-member can not say. I m not going to anlayze why this is so, but it is a fact. People of color, in some situations, use the "N" word among themsleves. Hispoanics will resent being called a "immigrant" but there are many songs in Spanish about "mojados" which are OK.

The issue to me is that use of such terms on the radio gets tiring really fast. It is like the kid who farts in church. First time, funny. Second time, a lot less funny. Third time, the humor is gone and it is just rude and crude.

I don't see the need for it. I think that it does not attract listeners... it drives many away.

Ask a priest or a plitician if it is moral or ethical. To me, it´s just bad radio.

Re: Sure would love to get David Eduardo's take on profanity and racial slurs on radio ... see posts below David ...

>
> I can't recall if this agreement arose due to an on-air
> incident
> or it was an internal matter at a Univision property.

Humor in Latin America is far less "policially correct" than it is in the US. Societally, there it is not taken seriously. Here, it is. It is often necessariy to make sure that people who come from another country understand the customs and standards of the US when they are in public postions. This is part of being a responsible licencee.
>
> When David participates in this thread, I'd also like to
> know > if the term ``gringo'' is considered appropriate on Univison
> stations?

Gringo is a totally acceptable term in most cases. It is only negative if a modifier that is despective is put in front of it.

"Gringo" comes from the Spanish usage of "griego" or "Greek" to indicate a foreigner. For example, El Greco (The Greek) was an Italian (foreign) painter who plyed his art in Spain. The term became corrupted to "gringo" sometime in the mid-1800's and is first seen in literature in the epic, "Martin Fierro" which is the classic vers of rural Argentina. A "gringo" is an "outsider" in that context.

So ¨gringo" can be used to describe outsiders, foreigners and especailly those of European appearance. One of my friends in High School was called "El Gringo" Mantilla because he was fair of complexion and hair... yet he was as Ecuadorian as the other 99% of the classmates. I once did a radio show character voice in Puerto Rico... as "Mr. Ñemerson" who was a gringo who did not understand much Spanish and made silly or embarassing comments as he tried to use the language. The show team referred to Mr Ñemerson as a "gringo." My first radio show in Ecuador while in High School was called "gringolandia" and we played US hits.

The term is totally acceptable if the context is correct.
>

> The term is totally acceptable if the context is correct.

Not to mention that I frequently found myself using the word "gringo" to describe myself when speaking to native speakers. After all, "americano" doesn't work particularly well since most countries other than the US and Canada view the area from Barrow, AK to Tierra del Fuego as being one continent. "Estadounidiense" is not only a mouthful but also a term that doesn't exclusively mean the United States of America. After all, Mexicans are also technically "estadounidienses."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom