• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Strongest translator signals in GSP?

What are some of the strongest or weakest translators from y'all's experience in Greenville or Spartanburg?

The best translator signal seems to be 99.5. I can get it all the way down to Laurens county and it still manages to overpower WKXC-FM from Aiken most times. It puts a solid B-grade signal over most of central Spartanburg county.

98.5 is almost as good as 99.5, but the W253BL translator on 98.5 in Greenwood for WCRS 1450 is very strong and broadcasts a mono signal and starts to cause issues for it about 10-15 miles south of Simpsonville and it becomes mostly noise. Good signal in Spartanburg and Pickens/NE Anderson county, though.

96.9 is another good translator signal that packs a punch and sounds good well outside of the 60dbu but doesn't do well to the west due to the null (I'm assuming to protect WJNA in Westminster)

96.3 isn't a very good signal and starts to break up before the 185/385 interchange. 104.5 in Spartanburg isn't great either.

97.1 is a strong signal for The Fan, 97.7 is okay but is strongly directional to the east. There's a fairly large area between Greenville and Spartanburg where you can get both 97.1 and 97.7 clearly.

IMO Summit (at the time Cox) got the best two translator signals in 2012-2013 since they were a couple of the first big ones moved to Paris Mtn - 98.5 and 99.5 (at the time, 97.7) so they got an early pick. They are definitely the most reliable signals across the market translator wise from my experience.

Speaking of translators and various interference issues. It seems the LPFM station on 107.9 known as WXRU has been off the air for about 2 weeks unless they moved their antenna. No more interference with Mix 107.9 north of Laurens Rd, and it can also be picked up now along Augusta Rd. But there may be a religious station now near Simpsonville around Fairview Rd. area also on 107.9, but I have not checked recently. And there seems to sometimes be some random interference on 107.9 from a Hispanic station, and sometimes the tropo will bounce in Hot 107.9 from Atlanta. But WXRU for now seems to be off the air or relocated.

Speaking of translators and various interference issues. It seems the LPFM station on 107.9 known as WXRU has been off the air for about 2 weeks unless they moved their antenna. No more interference with Mix 107.9 north of Laurens Rd, and it can also be picked up now along Augusta Rd. But there may be a religious station now near Simpsonville around Fairview Rd. area also on 107.9, but I have not checked recently. And there seems to sometimes be some random interference on 107.9 from a Hispanic station, and sometimes the tropo will bounce in Hot 107.9 from Atlanta. But WXRU for now seems to be off the air or relocated.
WXRU-LP back up on 107.9 again, but seems to be reduced power unless they relocated their antenna. Now mutual interference again with MIx 107.9 from Charlotte, although it can still be heard above Laurens Rd. headed north. But for about a month the Charlotte signal from WLNK had better reception in Greenville County with less interference. But now WXRU is back on again, although as I said it does not seem as strong as before. Either they relocated their antenna or reduced power.

That translator in Greenwood on 98.5 was blaring all the way up through Gray Court again. I’ll have to look at the specifics again, but this signal is ridiculously strong. Sometimes it still causes issues for X-98.5 as far up as Fountain Inn. 98.5 used to be a very clear frequency and I could easily get X on 98.5 down here with a little adjustment. Moot point since I can get it on WJMZ-HD2 but it drops out quite often. I know they’re both translators and very far apart, just a personal complaint.

In Laurens I’ve noticed WLBG 860 has signed on a translator at 104.1. Within about 3-4 miles of the tower this has caused problems for 103.9 WSHP which used to be a HD lock but is now barely receivable until you get outside of the city area. The 104.1 signal isn’t very strong outside of a small radius even for a translator. I don’t listen to 103.9 but it seems like they’re cutting it pretty close.

I’m fortunate to be able to get most of the Charlotte stations with minimum interference from any translators but I’ve noticed the WCCP translator on 97.5 in Spartanburg has stopped me from being able to get a solid HD lock on WCOS which used to be automatic.

That translator in Greenwood on 98.5 was blaring all the way up through Gray Court again. I’ll have to look at the specifics again, but this signal is ridiculously strong. Sometimes it still causes issues for X-98.5 as far up as Fountain Inn. 98.5 used to be a very clear frequency and I could easily get X on 98.5 down here with a little adjustment. Moot point since I can get it on WJMZ-HD2 but it drops out quite often. I know they’re both translators and very far apart, just a personal complaint.

In Laurens I’ve noticed WLBG 860 has signed on a translator at 104.1. Within about 3-4 miles of the tower this has caused problems for 103.9 WSHP which used to be a HD lock but is now barely receivable until you get outside of the city area. The 104.1 signal isn’t very strong outside of a small radius even for a translator. I don’t listen to 103.9 but it seems like they’re cutting it pretty close.

I’m fortunate to be able to get most of the Charlotte stations with minimum interference from any translators but I’ve noticed the WCCP translator on 97.5 in Spartanburg has stopped me from being able to get a solid HD lock on WCOS which used to be automatic.
Yes WCOS from Columbia used to reach into Greenville and Spartanburg before that translator on 97.5. And once you get into Fountain Inn and Laurens County, I think you can still get the Charlotte signals from 95.1, 96.1, 101.9 and 107.9. As you get closer into Greenvile going up 385, you start getting interference on 107.9 and also the Hispanic station blocks the Charlotte Lake on 102.9.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom