• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Still no Janet St. James

> Where were we?
>
>
> Oh yea, has anybody seen anything of Janet St. James?

And below is my original post on how to find her:

Listen closely little ed ...

Do you know how to dial WFAA's phone number and ask for Janet St. James?

Are you a reporter ... or not?

Do I have to do this for you?

If you want me to find out about Janet St. James, just say yes.

I will find out ... geez ....

I admit I was a wise guy. But the gist of the advice is simply ... call the station.

Re: Still no class on the board

> Second, why do you and so many have so many alias? I am
> seriously interested.

> And if you are not the person I think you are, then why are
> you so concerned?

> Third, I don't think my information, for the most part, is
> erroneous although much is simply opinion.

I don't really question your information as it relates to DFW TV/radio news. It's all to do with the NON-radio/TV things you post, such as you "outing" the wrong people on here, and, just like the blathering crap we know as "the media" today, it's a case of 'guilty until proven innocent' should someone draw the wrong conclusion or take something at face value without checking the facts. You've attributed remarks to me that are not mine and never were mine, and the anonimity on here could easily lead some idiot into believing you if spun the right way.

I'm anonymous for the same reasons I'm sure most people are on here. This is, and should remain, a forum where anyone can post anything about local stations and other RTV business. The backbiting and vendettas are a big turnoff to me, and I'd leave this place in a second if I didn't think I had to double-check some people's posts regularly to see if I've been incriminated or falsely "outed" or accused of something. Surely we all have something at stake here, be it a job, a reputation, relations with co-workers and friends, future employability, etc etc etc, that could be carelessly compromised by someone assuming they know who's who, and sharing that info with others. I'm also concerned about my friends and co-workers as well that they will endure the same mistreatment and will suffer consequences over something they had no part of.

I know quite a few folks on here, by real name and screen name, and, no matter how disgusted I get with the posts on here sometimes, I never have "outed" anyone and don't plan to unless provoked by the same tactic. Even then, it's still a sorry, classless thing to do to someone, and I'd still be hesitant.

Part of the magic here is that some of that treasured "insider information" we all crave can be shared anonymously without threat of retaliation. If this turns into a naming-names-fest, you can kiss the board goodbye. No one will trust it anymore, and I feel like we've lost a lot of people on here in the last few years over this (and the vindictive tone this board took around 2002 hasn't helped, either.) I've learned to lay low myself and let others make the "scoop" no matter how badly I'd like to myself.

You said you look at this board as a "game," and you play well most of the time. Sometimes you don't. Sometimes we ALL don't. I'm no angel myself, and I regret posting many opinions and analyses on here because they were unfair or just wrong. For that, I apologize. And if I've rightly or wrongly identified you on here, I'm sorry for that as well.

All I ask from EVERYONE is that we play a little fairer on here. Whether you think it's "Mike" or "Doc" or "Russ" or "Jim" or "Bill" or "Steve" or "Ray" or "Jennifer" or "Dan" or "Bubba" or "Sandi" or "Charlene" or anyone else you think you've deduced the identity of, would you mind using some discretion and keeping your guesses to yourself? And that vendetta you have against one or two people on here, please, take it out back and duke it out. As with the board, however, I'm sure there'll be no winner.

My response

Just in explanation, I believe I posted my previous remarks before I made the overture to ed.

Call it an epiphany ... or just common sense ... but I feel differently about some things.

Your remarks were long, but well written, and I agree with most of your points.

Sometimes, maybe often, I was wrong.

Frankly, I just don't care who knows my identity. Many already know or have guessed. In the past, I posted under my real name for months.

But I understand some people's desire or need for anonymity if they choose to express frank and unvarnished opinions on this board.

At times, I failed to understand that others were not willing to risk their livelihood by revealing their identities on the board.

So, as for me, no more of the game show "Guess That Poster".

> > Second, why do you and so many have so many alias? I am
> > seriously interested.
>
> > And if you are not the person I think you are, then why
> are
> > you so concerned?
>
> > Third, I don't think my information, for the most part, is
>
> > erroneous although much is simply opinion.
>
> I don't really question your information as it relates to
> DFW TV/radio news. It's all to do with the NON-radio/TV
> things you post, such as you "outing" the wrong people on
> here, and, just like the blathering crap we know as "the
> media" today, it's a case of 'guilty until proven innocent'
> should someone draw the wrong conclusion or take something
> at face value without checking the facts. You've attributed
> remarks to me that are not mine and never were mine, and the
> anonimity on here could easily lead some idiot into
> believing you if spun the right way.
>
> I'm anonymous for the same reasons I'm sure most people are
> on here. This is, and should remain, a forum where anyone
> can post anything about local stations and other RTV
> business. The backbiting and vendettas are a big turnoff to
> me, and I'd leave this place in a second if I didn't think I
> had to double-check some people's posts regularly to see if
> I've been incriminated or falsely "outed" or accused of
> something. Surely we all have something at stake here, be
> it a job, a reputation, relations with co-workers and
> friends, future employability, etc etc etc, that could be
> carelessly compromised by someone assuming they know who's
> who, and sharing that info with others. I'm also concerned
> about my friends and co-workers as well that they will
> endure the same mistreatment and will suffer consequences
> over something they had no part of.
>
> I know quite a few folks on here, by real name and screen
> name, and, no matter how disgusted I get with the posts on
> here sometimes, I never have "outed" anyone and don't plan
> to unless provoked by the same tactic. Even then, it's
> still a sorry, classless thing to do to someone, and I'd
> still be hesitant.
>
> Part of the magic here is that some of that treasured
> "insider information" we all crave can be shared anonymously
> without threat of retaliation. If this turns into a
> naming-names-fest, you can kiss the board goodbye. No one
> will trust it anymore, and I feel like we've lost a lot of
> people on here in the last few years over this (and the
> vindictive tone this board took around 2002 hasn't helped,
> either.) I've learned to lay low myself and let others make
> the "scoop" no matter how badly I'd like to myself.
>
> You said you look at this board as a "game," and you play
> well most of the time. Sometimes you don't. Sometimes we
> ALL don't. I'm no angel myself, and I regret posting many
> opinions and analyses on here because they were unfair or
> just wrong. For that, I apologize. And if I've rightly or
> wrongly identified you on here, I'm sorry for that as well.
>
> All I ask from EVERYONE is that we play a little fairer on
> here. Whether you think it's "Mike" or "Doc" or "Russ" or
> "Jim" or "Bill" or "Steve" or "Ray" or "Jennifer" or "Dan"
> or "Bubba" or "Sandi" or "Charlene" or anyone else you think
> you've deduced the identity of, would you mind using some
> discretion and keeping your guesses to yourself? And that
> vendetta you have against one or two people on here, please,
> take it out back and duke it out. As with the board,
> however, I'm sure there'll be no winner.
>

Re: My response

I appreciate that and your understanding. The business is just too fickle these days, and even the most innocent of remarks can be construed negatively or destructively if put into the wrong hands...and a real name put alongside it (right or wrong) can make a case for a PD or manager to make a hasty decision to cut someone who may indeed be innocent. I don't want to see that happen to ANYONE.

I just want a fair exchange of information, on topic, and the chance to know about breaking news in the industry as (or before) it happens. It can benefit any or all of us (for example, so-and-so not paying rent at a station is a good heads-up to move on to greener pastures before the rest of the ax falls.)

Far as "Ed" goes, I know him as well as anyone, I guess, and I know his passion for this industry runs very deep, and, sure, that passion comes out in his postings sometimes. Since this board is not filled with Chapmans, Kraddicks, Dorseys and Jays, I'm sure we can all relate to riding the industry rollercoaster. It's not for the faint-hearted, and perhaps those smarter or longer-sighted than we are have made the decision to get out. I ponder that idea almost every day. But something gets in your blood, I guess, and makes you want to keep plugging away in this thankless, finite industry. Maybe it's the little taste of fame, or maybe it's just the old school idea that the industry will go back to how "cool" it once was, etc...I don't know. I can think of a hundred other career opportunities that pay better, have more job security, and that appreciate what you do...but those 100 are pretty boring compared to radio. I'm not trying to defend "Ed" directly, but I think a little understanding and feeling of kinship should be considered. Sure, "Ed" could tone things down some himself sometimes. I'm sure we're all pretty decent people at different points in our careers, and we should probably be trying to HELP OUT each other instead of just venting and starting verbal fistfights.

Thanks very much, and I will try to clean up my occasional off-colorness on my posts as a vow of good faith. Maybe it will rub off on others.

> Just in explanation, I believe I posted my previous remarks
> before I made the overture to ed.
>
> Call it an epiphany ... or just common sense ... but I feel
> differently about some things.
>
> Your remarks were long, but well written, and I agree with
> most of your points.
>
> Sometimes, maybe often, I was wrong.
>
> Frankly, I just don't care who knows my identity. Many
> already know or have guessed. In the past, I posted under
> my real name for months.
>
> But I understand some people's desire or need for anonymity
> if they choose to express frank and unvarnished opinions on
> this board.
>
> At times, I failed to understand that others were not
> willing to risk their livelihood by revealing their
> identities on the board.
>
> So, as for me, no more of the game show "Guess That Poster".
>
>
>
>
> > > Second, why do you and so many have so many alias? I am
> > > seriously interested.
> >
> > > And if you are not the person I think you are, then why
> > are
> > > you so concerned?
> >
> > > Third, I don't think my information, for the most part,
> is
> >
> > > erroneous although much is simply opinion.
> >
> > I don't really question your information as it relates to
> > DFW TV/radio news. It's all to do with the NON-radio/TV
> > things you post, such as you "outing" the wrong people on
> > here, and, just like the blathering crap we know as "the
> > media" today, it's a case of 'guilty until proven
> innocent'
> > should someone draw the wrong conclusion or take something
>
> > at face value without checking the facts. You've
> attributed
> > remarks to me that are not mine and never were mine, and
> the
> > anonimity on here could easily lead some idiot into
> > believing you if spun the right way.
> >
> > I'm anonymous for the same reasons I'm sure most people
> are
> > on here. This is, and should remain, a forum where anyone
>
> > can post anything about local stations and other RTV
> > business. The backbiting and vendettas are a big turnoff
> to
> > me, and I'd leave this place in a second if I didn't think
> I
> > had to double-check some people's posts regularly to see
> if
> > I've been incriminated or falsely "outed" or accused of
> > something. Surely we all have something at stake here, be
>
> > it a job, a reputation, relations with co-workers and
> > friends, future employability, etc etc etc, that could be
> > carelessly compromised by someone assuming they know who's
>
> > who, and sharing that info with others. I'm also
> concerned
> > about my friends and co-workers as well that they will
> > endure the same mistreatment and will suffer consequences
> > over something they had no part of.
> >
> > I know quite a few folks on here, by real name and screen
> > name, and, no matter how disgusted I get with the posts on
>
> > here sometimes, I never have "outed" anyone and don't plan
>
> > to unless provoked by the same tactic. Even then, it's
> > still a sorry, classless thing to do to someone, and I'd
> > still be hesitant.
> >
> > Part of the magic here is that some of that treasured
> > "insider information" we all crave can be shared
> anonymously
> > without threat of retaliation. If this turns into a
> > naming-names-fest, you can kiss the board goodbye. No one
>
> > will trust it anymore, and I feel like we've lost a lot of
>
> > people on here in the last few years over this (and the
> > vindictive tone this board took around 2002 hasn't helped,
>
> > either.) I've learned to lay low myself and let others
> make
> > the "scoop" no matter how badly I'd like to myself.
> >
> > You said you look at this board as a "game," and you play
> > well most of the time. Sometimes you don't. Sometimes we
>
> > ALL don't. I'm no angel myself, and I regret posting many
>
> > opinions and analyses on here because they were unfair or
> > just wrong. For that, I apologize. And if I've rightly
> or
> > wrongly identified you on here, I'm sorry for that as
> well.
> >
> > All I ask from EVERYONE is that we play a little fairer on
>
> > here. Whether you think it's "Mike" or "Doc" or "Russ" or
>
> > "Jim" or "Bill" or "Steve" or "Ray" or "Jennifer" or "Dan"
>
> > or "Bubba" or "Sandi" or "Charlene" or anyone else you
> think
> > you've deduced the identity of, would you mind using some
> > discretion and keeping your guesses to yourself? And that
>
> > vendetta you have against one or two people on here,
> please,
> > take it out back and duke it out. As with the board,
> > however, I'm sure there'll be no winner.
> >
>

Re: My response....Please allow me to "chime" in

The post was getting long so I cut it. Braindeadprez, Batman: Gentlemen, great posts!I outlined my position on the Dallas board,so I won't repeat it here. I did have one negative response to it,but that is the nature of the individual's character,and was anticipated all the same.It was neither of you that responded in that matter just to make it clear for other eyes. I agree with sentiments expressed. The question? Can it hold together? The answer is yes IF we can agree to disagree without it developing into a scathing attack on each other because of it.WE come here to vent our frustration,to network( believe it or not) and discuss our concerns and love for this business. As I mentioned I already outlined mine. It is frustrating to lose a gig,it is frustrating not being able to find one,and it is frustrating to see very talented individuals of all genders, all races ,all ages not being hired due to voice tracking, the "Jack's" and the cheapness of a megaopoly's board room. Tearing ourselves apart provides fodder for the ceo's, the om's,the consultants and those who never were members or understood broadcasting board members. We should recognize talent and know how an individual whether we know them,like them or they are adversaries,as long as they can deliver the goods, it can only serve to help us as individuals ourselves. Talent being defined as on air, great production, supportive in writing copy,creative ideas, and original ones at that. Radio today is REMAX,CENTURY21 AND EBBY HALLIDAY,when it needs to return to center on being entertaining, and informative to the city of its license,plus the surrounding area,not the advertiser or corporate board room. That is what needs to take place on this and other boards,not eating our young. We can criticize on air performance and really dumb ideas ,but choose the words wisely,and still be able to get the point across. There are some who should not be on the air,there are formats that don't serve a community at all but the salesroom.There are some stations that don't truly believe in a fair and equal opinion being broadcasted,thus the public is short changed. I will briefly mention that SOME new broadcasting talent of today is not talent at all thanks to liners to be read,music picked to be played at a certain of the hour, and repeated all too frequently.The spot load doesn't allow the announcer much time to be on a one to one level with the respective audience,and allowed to gain. it's loyality. Some really great talent is being forced out. Prime example WCBS-FM in New York, and it has happened here. We can adapt in some things such as new production techniques, creative ideas,but we should not have to adapt to lowering the quality of talent.
The industry most of us grew up on is changing,but changing for the worst in regards to terrestial radio,and when we speak our minds and are "outed" or attempts are made that are often wrong in those attempts,that person or persons will be lucky to find work once more. That is ignorance on the part of management,because that certain someone could produce the goods to help their station or company be highly successful.It is also arrogant on the accusers part because in doing so,they themselves are at times retaliated against,and they lose. WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER,HELP ONE ANOTHER AND REVIVE BROADCASTING!.Large caps yes,but it was warranted. Now let's get back to what this board is all about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom