• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stern Returning To Terrestrial? Only A Matter Of Time

D

DiamondJoe

Everyone remembers in October 2004, just days after Opie & Anthony's first few broadcasts on XM, when Howard Stern blew them out of the spotlight and announced his own bigger satellite deal with Sirius.

Which was a move to be expected of a competitor in any medium. Whenever one major player creates a new brand/flavor/etc., the second major player usually drums up its own version. (For example, how fast did Duracell put out its own "on-battery tester" after Energizer unveiled theirs? Or is it the other way around?)

OK, so I'm basically comparing apples to oranges with that example, but when it comes to Stern and O&A, it's far from the case.

Think about this: Most of Stern's audience hasn't followed him to Sirius. And now O&A are on his old East Coast stations.

History and logic says, Stern will find a way to simulcast his show on terrestrial radio and compete with Opie & Anthony. It's not a question of if, but when.

Your thoughts.

(This thread was created in the National Radio Forum and moved to the Hot Talk forum, since this event basically affects both aspects of radio.)<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

I am inclined to agree with you. It will be a matter of days before Howard announces something about returning to regular radio.

I suspect that Howard will cut a deal with ABC radio and be as big as ever. I am, however, not a fan of Stern and less of a fan of O&A.

I use my XM radio for baseball and the 80's channel. I could care less about the talk on XM.

Stern's numbers have been less than stellar. Having made syndication radio history, he's not going to easily allow O&A to upstage him. Having a chance to hurt O&A AND CBS Radio AND XM will only fuel the fire.

> Everyone remembers in October 2004, just days after Opie &
> Anthony's first few broadcasts on XM, when Howard Stern blew
> them out of the spotlight and announced his own bigger
> satellite deal with Sirius.
>
> Which was a move to be expected of a competitor in any
> medium. Whenever one major player creates a new
> brand/flavor/etc., the second major player usually drums up
> its own version. (For example, how fast did Duracell put out
> its own "on-battery tester" after Energizer unveiled theirs?
> Or is it the other way around?)
>
> OK, so I'm basically comparing apples to oranges with that
> example, but when it comes to Stern and O&A, it's far from
> the case.
>
> Think about this: Most of Stern's audience hasn't followed
> him to Sirius. And now O&A are on his old East Coast
> stations.
>
> History and logic says, Stern will find a way to simulcast
> his show on terrestrial radio and compete with Opie &
> Anthony. It's not a question of if, but when.
>
> Your thoughts.
>
> (This thread was created in the National Radio Forum and
> moved to the Hot Talk forum, since this event basically
> affects both aspects of radio.)
>

So I wonder what will happen to the HUGE contract the Stern signed.......

Will Sirius sue? Or will they take this as an opportunity to stop the money bleeding they have been going through?

To no surprise to me, Stern did not pull the type of numbers he thought he was going to.

Can someone refresh my memory? Who was in line to buy ABC Radio? I ask this, because I would wonder if they would treat stern the same as CBS did (let him get away with murder). The only way I can see someone taking on Stern is if the company (he landed at) bought into Sirius. With his ego, he would want some big dollars, and I can't see a company paying that sort of money for him to go and plug the sattelite show/service.

Cumulus or Citadel....... (I Believe Citadel bought out most of ABC radio, save for radio Disney and ESPN Radio)

mr_mark_taylor said:
Cumulus or Citadel....... (I Believe Citadel bought out most of ABC radio, save for radio Disney and ESPN Radio)
...it was Citadel. I can't recall, did Citadel carry the Stern CBS show on any of its stations? Did they own the Columbus affiliate that bailed early because of an indecency complaint?...

they did........if you remember Citadel was going to send Stern a bill for advertising Sirius a few too many times to Citadels liking

Wasn't Sterns contract exclusive to Sirius though? I thought I heard that mentioned on OnA?

It was. Hence, he had no wiggle-room this time. Of course, Howard turned down a chance to re-up for another 5 years when Mel Karmazin offered it in March. (A satellite radio blog that I don't think I can mention had an entry about it). I'm sure Sirius would waive the exclusivity clause for cash and a guarantee of 10 more years of Hoo-hoo.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom