• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Step backwards or step up?

I have recently changed jobs. I now work for the number 1 station (again, as of todays book) in Australia's number 2 market. Because they also own numerous other stations, I am now firmly in sight of my ultimate goal of returning to my home state.

I am pleased with my choice. However, when I was first aproached about the job, my (then future) boss told me that the role I was going in to was a step backwards compared to what I was doing at the time. I have taken the view, that although it was a step backwards in position, it was a step up in career. I figure I can always work my way into that same position in this company, or go and do something different to expand my skill base. Add to this, the money I am getting is more (and the stress, less) for the position I am now in, than what I was getting in my last job.

My question is, would you take a lesser position (in a bigger market) to get into a better one in the future?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by leethalweapon on 06/21/05 09:57 AM.</FONT></P>

> My question is, would you take a lesser position (in a
> bigger market) to get into a better one in the future?

I don't work in radio, but in some cases it does make sense. I worked as an Assistant Manager for a men's retail chain, in a small store in a small market. The commute however got to be a bit of a drag, and I then decided to look for something closer to home. I got a job as a Customer Care Assistant in another retail environment for more money. The store was a bigger store in a bigger market.

So I'd have to say that yes, sometimes going to a lesser position in a bigger market does get you to a better one in the future. Certainly is true in retail; one of my former managers started out as assistant manager in a small store, then assistant manager in a large store, then as a manager of a small store then manager of a large store. Last I heard of him he was a regional manager.

Mark.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom