• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

stations using bogus studios/transmitters

It wasn't meant to be (((hilarious)))!!!, I just wanted to know why stations use fake studio and transmitter locations, being as old as dirt it seemed odd. I can just imagine the Rocking Bird saying WIBBAGE now broadcasting from the Melrose diner, crazy...

What would be an example of a station giving a "fake" transmitter location?
What advantage would that provide? Why would anyone, outside of the FCC, even care?

The Q would use the liner, broadcasting from high atop liberty-one, which was false, now BEN is saying, coming from high atop center city Philadelphia, and their were a few others. MMR and Praise are the only two legit stations that can use that phrase and they don’t.

The Q would use the liner, broadcasting from high atop liberty-one, which was false, now BEN is saying, coming from high atop center city Philadelphia, and their were a few others. MMR and Praise are the only two legit stations that can use that phrase and they don’t.

I'm not sure why a station would misrepresent the building they transmit from. Was that a fromer transmit site for this station?
The description WBEN uses is ambiguous and seems to imply full market Philly coverage. They are operating on a tower only a few miles outside of downtown Philly. Maybe it's several miles from downtown. Whatever. They are still, at one site, 1150 feet HAAT which puts them "atop" the greater Philly area and I would bet the 70 dbu coverage includes ALL of Philly city limits.

Once again...why would the average listener care?

I'm not sure why a station would misrepresent the building they transmit from. Was that a fromer transmit site for this station?
The description WBEN uses is ambiguous and seems to imply full market Philly coverage. They are operating on a tower only a few miles outside of downtown Philly. Maybe it's several miles from downtown. Whatever. They are still, at one site, 1150 feet HAAT which puts them "atop" the greater Philly area and I would bet the 70 dbu coverage includes ALL of Philly city limits.

WBEN puts a 60 dbu over 5,750,000 persons and the 8 county Metro Survey Area has 5,375,000 persons. So WBEN has essentially total market coverage.

If you're going to be nitpicky, at least be correct nitpicky.

Ben-FM runs a liner saying they broadcast from "High Atop Variety Mountain." Which Google Maps says is... uh... Mountain Variety Hardware outside of Ashville, NC :)

If you're going to be nitpicky, at least be correct nitpicky.

Ben-FM runs a liner saying they broadcast from "High Atop Variety Mountain." Which Google Maps says is... uh... Mountain Variety Hardware outside of Ashville, NC :)
Don’t they rotate a couple of liners? One about above the city, one about the variety mountain (maybe others....I don’t recall for sure).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom