• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Station Imaging

I told Kevin Mangan who does some VO/prod for me from time to time, what I wanted for my next legal id I needed produced for KSKO... something funny, poking fun but nothing obscene and wanted it a little low key but not typical NPR style and he nailed it again. Take a listen:

KSKO LEGAL BECAUSE WE NEED ONE APPARENTLY 1.mp3

Any feedback from your listeners on it?

When I was production director at 1060 WBIX, I did some crazy things.

1. Bringing you 1 million, 60 thousand cycles of broadcast power every single second [single second] ... this is WBIX Natick/Boston...

2. Serving the world from 42-17-17 West... 71-25-55 North ... this is 1060 WBIX Natick/Boston... (The transmitter's latitude/longitude coordinates.)

Things I would do just because I can. Nobody ever got it though.

I hate to admit this, but when I was at WDSG 1450 in Dyersburg, TN back in the late 80s, our transmitter flooded and we used a 10 watt backup that the owner purchased a week after we went off the air, to get us back on the air (mind you, she never notified the FCC about this), so we kept the legal ID at the top of the hour, but I, being a wise-ass, would say "You're listening to WDSG, the voice of the 51 Bypass, Pioneer Road and the K-Mart parking lot" instead of "The voice of Dyersburg". What a joke that station was. I didn't just quit, I escaped.

I once had the pleasure of working at the now-defunct WDIS (1170) in Norfolk Ma. We were a daytimer, so right before sign-off I would say "Stay tuned for WWVA," probably to the chagrin of the PD. As you may know, WWVA in Wheeling, WVa. is the clear channel station on that frequency.

I told Kevin Mangan who does some VO/prod for me from time to time, what I wanted for my next legal id I needed produced for KSKO... something funny, poking fun but nothing obscene and wanted it a little low key but not typical NPR style and he nailed it again. Take a listen:
You're probably one of the few stations in America that can rightfully claim their station imaging reaches one listener at a time.

The FCC still has the hourly ID requirement. It is suppose to be call letters eminently followed by the city of license. Some stations "bury" it in a commercial break with a very quick ID at the top of the hour especially if the call letters do not reinforce or match the station's branding.

I believe station imaging does the call letters (on the top of every hour) the stations name and then the slogan.
Huh?

What is "station imaging"? Do you mean the production department?

The station "legal ID" required by the FCC requires the station call letters and the city of license. There are several optional items that can go between the two, such as the owner's name, but nothing else. The legal ID can be done live by the announcer or DJ, recorded but run manually or pre-recorded and run automatically as long as the FCC requirement on content is met.

Also the ID does not have to be precisely at the top of the hour. It has to be as close to the top of the hour as possible in a natural break in programming. In the case of some formats, that could be a half hour or more away!

There is no requirement to give the station name (some stations don't have names) or slogan (some don't have those, either).

The only ones who care about an ID, unfortunately, are the FCC and radio nerds. The average listener knows what theyre listening to and or knows how to look it up.

Canada, UK and Australia dont have these requirements.

Its old, outdated, pointl;ess and unneeded.

Translators can ID via inaudible FSK, frequency shift keying.. they should allow that for full power FMs, or use RDs, akin to TV stations showing the ID on screen but not speaking it.

Listening to K262AI in Laramie, WY as I did occasionally because I helped keep an eye on it, all youd hear ID'd is KWYC Cheyenne, K262AI was obviously fed over the air.... and this pic is what ID K262AI, inaudibly.

67445798_10216703106107502_4695604293502238720_n.jpg

Back before the VOR system, many flight crews used AM stations as a backup at night navigation. If you look at a vintage DC 3 you will see a little loop antenna for directional receiving. Simple triangulation could give you a pretty good idea where you are. These were tube receivers which can drift. So if you was using 660 but your radio drifted to 650. It could really screw up your calculations if you were going to the northeast from the West Coast.

I seriously doubt aviation needs this anymore with GPS.

Back
Top Bottom