• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

St. Louis Gets New Standards Station

Insane Broadcasting Co's WQQX 1490 AM East St. Louis/St. Louis has flipped to a locally programmed automated Adult Standards format. The station broadcasts at 1000 Watts fulltime. This is the first fulltime Standards station in nearly five years since the last Standards station WRTH dropped the format in favor of Classic Country. (It too is now owned by Insane, as oldies KZQZ). The mix is pretty upbeat, and heavy on "Martini Music."

:'( Does not appear to have streaming audio --- or even a website :'(

Hey, gang...Chuck Hillier checking in from Chicago. I was the architect for Emmis Communications-owned
Red 104.1; Man, do we miss that station and your great market! Unfortunately, with the station sale to Radio One...well...I guess the format change to Urban was inevitable.

Some may know that I've recently taken my "Smokin' Pop Standards" format (the sound of Red 104.1) and joined forces with legendary west coast programmer, Brad Chambers and his 24/7 internet radio station, "Martini in the Morning." It brings together the two most prolific, passionate program providers in the business, doin' what we love most: delivering an "Intoxicating Blend of Lounge, Swing, Jazz & Blues." My long time St. Louis pal, John Beck (who repeatedly said that "Red" was his all-time favorite radio station...ever), coined the phrase: "Music with Class." That plays well.

For those that miss the "Spirit of Red"...check out our web-site: www.martiniinthemorning.com. Again, it's full-time and features a live morning show, hosted by Chambers himself. Other live dayparts to follow as the property continues to evolve. I'd be happy for your thoughts and feedback...either through this posting, or perhaps directly to me at [email protected]. Have a great day, all. And keep Swingin' ! Chuck Hillier.

From what I understand, the station plans to stream and have a website in the future.

I planned to record an aircheck of the station, but at the moment, the audio sounds overmodulated. Perhaps this will change, and when it does, I'll post it.

While it's early in the game for the station, there is a lot of repetition in the music that is used. Its definition of 'standards' could be defined as questionable for some. I don't recall Boz Scaggs "Lowdown" and Steely Dan's "Josie" part of the Great American Songbook....

In my opinion, if they get the audio issues resolved, and add some more songs to the playlist, this station could really be enjoyable.

spiritof67 said:
I don't recall Boz Scaggs "Lowdown" and Steely Dan's "Josie" part of the Great American Songbook....
Dial Global has played the first one. Must be the flute, which I like.

I heard a great version of "Josie" on the Muzak in a mall many years ago. They told me the mall got their music from AEI, which no longer exists. I never found out what happened to their music collection, but Muzak, 3M and AEI were the big three for background instrumentals and I walked in malls at the time. Each of my three favorite malls had one of the three formats. AEI was the best. It was in a department store in the mall that had Muzak, and it was so nice and relaxing compared to Muzak, which was good for exercise.

Getting back to this "Josie" version, even though it was instrumental it was good enough for AC. This station needs to find that one and play it instead.

They play Steely Dan, even "FM", on the one station around here that does smooth jazz, but on the weekends (it's talk during the week). "FM" was on my local standards station during its chimpanzee period (that's the reason for the name) and you wouldn't believe the crazy stuff they also played.

WQQX AM 1490 is finally streaming. There are times when WQQX will cannibalize sister Oldies KZQZ AM 1430 by playing the same oldies you can hear on the latter, e.g., "Standing In the Shadow Of Love" by the Four Tops, "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" by Marvin Gaye, "Where Did Our Love Go" by the Supremes, and "I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos. To really distinguish themselves from KZQZ, WQQX needs to do what the now-defunct Red 104.1 used to do, i.e., mix traditional renditions of Adult Standards with contemporary renditions. Artists that come to mind are Michael Buble, Jamie Cullum, Renae Olstead, Rod Stewart, Norah Jones, Michael Bolton, Brian Setzer Orchestra, and other contemporary artists doing remakes of Adult Standards. I know that traditional renditions of Adult Standards overlap with 50s/60s Oldies, but "Standing In the Shadow Of Love" by the Four Tops IMHO doesn't fit the Adult Standards genre. I will give credit to WQQX for including some lite jazz tunes, e.g., "Smiles And Smiles To Go" by Larry Carlton, but they really need to lose the rock 'n' roll oldies to distinguish themselves from KZQZ.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom