• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Specialty Weekend Programming

Regarding specialty shows, this could be considered somewhat ancient history now, but back when there were a lot of independently owned and managed stations, you had more chances for the Dr. Dementos and those with truly unique or eclectic programming to be picked up by a number of stations.

It depends. I just read where Stryker just got his syndicated show picked up by a bunch of iHeart alternative stations because he now works for iHeart's KYSR. So sometimes being part of a big company means you get a group clearance.

But from what I see, the problem with eclectic programming isn't the ownership, but the programming. Demento was a great show in the 80s when stations played parody songs like Weird Al Yankovic and similar stuff. That pretty much went out of style in the 90s.

But from what I see, the problem with eclectic programming isn't the ownership, but the programming. Demento was a great show in the 80s when stations played parody songs like Weird Al Yankovic and similar stuff. That pretty much went out of style in the 90s.
Agreed, that was one of the reasons behind my comment: "His may be a somewhat bad example as there are a number of reasons he (Demento) went from a few hundred affiliates down to about 1/2 dozen in later years when he himself was managing syndication after once being with Westwood One". Demento/Hansen was also making some pretty stiff demands of the (increasingly dwindling number of) stations that continued to carry his show in later years, especially when, as an independent with a program that's anything but mass-appeal, he really wasn't in the best position to do so. In addition to other factors, that also cost him.

Last edited:
As TheBigA pointed out earlier, not constrained by ratings, some non-comms (some of which do actually show some ratings growth) can run more specialty programming.

Stations like The Current and WXPN have done pretty expansive countdowns and member voted best-ofs. The Current does one I enjoy from time to time called the Time Machine Weekend, where each hour focuses on a different year in music (not consecutive.) KEXP has also done some pretty impressive programming days based on year, labels like Sub Pop, or artists like The Clash.

Back to the OP about specialty weekend programming...Country Aircheck highlighted a few stations that were doing special throwback programming for memorial day wknd:

With Memorial Day Weekend approaching, several Country stations around the nation have elected to host “throwback” themed weekends. Audacy KFRG/Riverside will air its 90s Throwback Weekend from Saturday (5/28) at 12am PT through Memorial Day (5/30). Hubbard WYGY/Cincinnati’s Neon 90s Weekend will run today (5/26) at 5pm ET through Monday (5/30) night. Hall WPCV/Lakeland, FL's Memorial Day Throwback Weekend begins today (5/27) at 3pm ET and ends Monday (5/30).

The 'Memorial Day 500' has long ago burned out; perhaps this is what the OP had in mind with their first post in the thread?

The 'Memorial Day 500' has long ago burned out; perhaps this is what the OP had in mind with their first post in the thread?
LOL, I'm reading this while listening to the Memorial Day 500 on my local Classic Rock station! (My money is on "Stairway to Heaven" for number 1!)

That same station also carries Time Warp with Bill St. James on Sunday mornings and Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sunday nights. And I can't leave out Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant," which is played every Thanksgiving Day.

I am still a P1 listener of Bill St James. It's the same music library every classic rocker uses, but the production value of that show is like no other. The early years of Flashback had a more diverse music mix, but I am so glad Bill continued with the new Time Warp show after being dropped by Cumulus (new being a relative term, it turned 10 this year). The team that does that show found a way to be PPM friendly without losing the specialty content that isn't found anywhere else.

I'm listening to Z100, unscoped, from Memorial Day '97. 20 minutes in and they do a "here's another SUMMER PARTY JAM on our countdown" (or something to that effect). DJ then made a comment on washing his car in the great weather and intro'd "#16", Good Vibrations by Marky Mark.

I thought that was a good way to do it. A countdown that just exists sporadically, a couple times an hour, anybody can join at anytime. It's accessible and the way they presented it was neat.

Exactly. Unless it's sports, advertisers have moved away from sponsoring this kind of show. Or for that matter, weekends in general. It takes time and effort to put a day, or several-day long music special together, including any preparation which includes research and promotion. Many stations have found little to no ROI to doing so.

Exactly. Unless it's sports, advertisers have moved away from sponsoring this kind of show. Or for that matter, weekends in general.

Very true. With the recession hitting business, advertising has become hard to get for weekends, regardless of the programming.

Did stations stop doing specialty weekend programming because the limited available audience is not worth the effort?

Or did listeners stop listening on weekends because their lives are different and radio stopped doing anything to get their attention?

Last question: Are there any stations still doing fun specialty weekends? I would like to stream some
Did stations stop doing specialty weekend programming because the limited available audience is not worth the effort?

Or did listeners stop listening on weekends because their lives are different and radio stopped doing anything to get their attention?

Last question: Are there any stations still doing fun specialty weekends? I would like to stream some.
I helped originate a stream that airs many of the syndicated shows I had on a high school radio station for 20 years before I retired, with the new radio team dropping all of those shows. PM me for details if you are interested.

BEN-FM (Philly) is doing a one hits wonder weekend this upcoming weekend. It’s been a while since I’ve heard a radio station do a themed weekend like this, I am going to tune in to see what they play

BEN-FM (Philly) is doing a one hits wonder weekend this upcoming weekend. It’s been a while since I’ve heard a radio station do a themed weekend like this, I am going to tune in to see what they play
It felt much like their normal programming, with a one hit wonder that’s typically part of their music mix given a little extra intro hourly. Nothing wrong with that and if they got a little extra pocket change from a sponsorship of mostly regular programming, cool for them. Maybe the mix was altered a bit to ensure those one hits came up every hour, sure, but outside that frequency, the playlist was perfectly normal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom