• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"South Bay's Bollywood radio station continues to grow with listeners across the globe"

I always find new stories from Local News stations about Local Radio amusing. Here is one about KSJO 92.3 In San Jose/South Bay

As someone who works in local tv. Absolutely no one in newsrooms knows anything about radio.

This segment sounds a lot more like PR/marketing than real news reporting. Probably that's why I don't watch KTVU anymore other than football or baseball games.

I honestly don't know what to think.

Punjabi and Bollywood music stations are popping up everywhere I look (for example, KVIN 920 in Modesto recently got converted to Punjabi Radio, to my dismay), and it seems like there are more religious and conservative newstalk stations than ever (AM has been teeming with them for years, and now they're starting to invade the FM dial too!)

I'm feeling like a tiny minority of those still wanting 50s/60s/70s classic hits at this point, as it seems like nobody cares about making it an option for SF anymore (there are still quite a few stations carrying variations of the format out there (KVOL 1330 Lafayette, LA, WABF 1480 Mobile, AL, KIXI 880 Seattle, WA, KYNO 940 Fresno, CA, KNOT 1450 Prescott Valley, AZ and KAZG 1440 Scottsdale, AZ, to name a few), but of the lot, only KYNO is close enough to receive consistently, at least at night).

iHeart's 80s+ doesn't count, as 80s still feel somewhat modern to me, although I'm finding that decade more tolerable than I did in the past, if only because it's the only option other than 3 kinds of CHR or Rap...

EDIT: I have to admit though, maybe soft AC will grow on me a bit. I just tuned into 98.1 KISQ a few minutes ago to find Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers, which is definitely not new (It entered the top 40 in 1965). So far, it seems rather like KVOL, bit skewing newer, so instead of mostly late 70s and 80s, it's more like late 80s through the present, with a few oldies sprinkled in.

EDIT 2: I have one criticism of KISQ so far: it sounds like little more than a rebroadcast of their internet stream, low bitrate artifacts and all! That's kind of disappointing, but sadly no longer surprising.

c

Last edited:
And that is why I love said segments so much.
I have no criticism of the Bollywood station, but these news segments always have the same old tropes. The jock never wears headphones, or wears them around their neck, there's always a shot of waggling PPM meters and an on-air light flicking on, and often nowadays a closeup of someone editing some audio in Audition or Audacity. Get some new ideas, TV people!

I'm feeling like a tiny minority of those still wanting 50s/60s/70s classic hits at this point, as it seems like nobody cares about making it an option for SF anymore
Correct. The Beatles had their first appearance with Ed Sullivan 59 years ago. That means the core of the audience for that music is now well into their 70s.

In the SF-Oakland market, only about 12% are over 70. Of those only a fraction are looking for the music of 60 years ago. And only a fraction would be willing to listen to that music on AM radio.

Regrettably, Buick doesn't advertise on local radio any more to support old people music.

I have no criticism of the Bollywood station, but these news segments always have the same old tropes. The jock never wears headphones, or wears them around their neck, there's always a shot of waggling PPM meters and an on-air light flicking on, and often nowadays a closeup of someone editing some audio in Audition or Audacity. Get some new ideas, TV people!

Why are the PPM meters in the studio instead of attached to the belts of listeners? Or does PPM have a second meaning (perhaps UK only) that I'm not aware of?

Why are the PPM meters in the studio instead of attached to the belts of listeners? Or does PPM have a second meaning (perhaps UK only) that I'm not aware of?
Peak Program(me) Meter - the little waggling needle on the desk that shows you what the level going out is. The rule of thumb is normally peak between 4-5 for speech and 5-6 for music:

s2-mppm-600.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: I have to admit though, maybe soft AC will grow on me a bit. I just tuned into 98.1 KISQ a few minutes ago to find Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers, which is definitely not new (It entered the top 40 in 1965).
The reason why a Soft AC station is playing "Unchained Melody" is not because it was a hit when first released in the '60s; it's because it became a #1 AC hit in 1990 after it was featured in the movie "Ghost".

The reason why a Soft AC station is playing "Unchained Melody" is not because it was a hit when first released in the '60s; it's because it became a #1 AC hit in 1990 after it was featured in the movie "Ghost".
Correct. In fact, it wasn't even common on playlists of oldies stations before "Ghost" came out. Many only played "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" and "Soul and Inspiration." But once the tune found renewed popularity 25 years after its original release, oldies stations started playing it.

But see, thhats what resonates wiuth listeners.. blinky lights and etc make for good visuals on tv

I'm feeling like a tiny minority of those still wanting 50s/60s/70s classic hits at this point, as it seems like nobody cares about making it an option for SF anymore (there are still quite a few stations carrying variations of the format out there (KVOL 1330 Lafayette, LA, WABF 1480 Mobile, AL, KIXI 880 Seattle, WA, KYNO 940 Fresno, CA, KNOT 1450 Prescott Valley, AZ and KAZG 1440 Scottsdale, AZ, to name a few), but of the lot, only KYNO is close enough to receive consistently, at least at night).

c

Dont you think if it was profitable, someone in the SF area would do it among the 3-4 dozen stations in SF?

KYNO, KNOT and WABF are all independent standalones... and in the case of KNOT and WABf, the audiences are probably a little bit older there.... and in WAB's case, it's bit of a beach./vacation area, so oldies would lend well to it, plus them or their sister station has done some form of oldies for awhile, as i recall from someone in the area.

And more power to the Punjabi stations., they are :
1.) serving an underserved audience
2.) usually making darn good moneyu
3.) They are usually VERY involved in the communities they serve

Something we radio people bitch about, but then when a station does it.. its not good enough, because what theyre programming isnt our cup of tea.

Frankly, some of the music these punjabi stations play is pretty rad!

Correct. In fact, it wasn't even common on playlists of oldies stations before "Ghost" came out. Many only played "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" and "Soul and Inspiration." But once the tune found renewed popularity 25 years after its original release, oldies stations started playing it.
Similar story with Louis Armstrong's recording of (What A) Wonderful World. Never a Top 40 hit back in the 60's, but after being prominently featured in the Robin Williams movie Good Morning Vietnam it started appearing on Oldies stations. (I was surprised to spot it in one of the cart racks at WCBS-FM while visiting a friend one night in the late 80's or early 90's.) And yet the song didn't sound out of place at all.

Ah, I see. I like that movie very much (this was late 90s-early 2000s, so I'm not old enough to remember Ghost's original theatrical release – I was about 1 or 2 years old at the time – but I saw it on a VHS tape, which we rented from Hollywood Video (remember that ancient relic? I do!)), and I got happy when I heard that song :)

Similar story with Louis Armstrong's recording of (What A) Wonderful World. Never a Top 40 hit back in the 60's, but after being prominently featured in the Robin Williams movie Good Morning Vietnam it started appearing on Oldies stations. (I was surprised to spot it in one of the cart racks at WCBS-FM while visiting a friend one night in the late 80's or early 90's.) And yet the song didn't sound out of place at all.
I also saw that movie, but I don't remember hearing that song for some reason?

Dont you think if it was profitable, someone in the SF area would do it among the 3-4 dozen stations in SF?
Well, it would be nice if somebody did. Even as an HD subchannel (akin to the old KFRC sound-alike that recently got discontinued on 106.9, but more up to date).

In the SF-Oakland market, only about 12% are over 70. Of those only a fraction are looking for the music of 60 years ago. And only a fraction would be willing to listen to that music on AM radio.
Wow, I guess I'd be like 0.01% of the audience, then!

KYNO, KNOT and WABF are all independent standalones...
Maybe that's a good thing, because perhaps it gives them more leeway to run whatever format they like, even if it's not as profitable, because they don't have the overhead of a megacorp. with it's sprawl of hundreds, maybe thousands of stations and millions of dollars in debt to pay down.

But then again, I think KVIN was independent until recently, so I guess indie stations can and do get poached, particularly if they're in a desirable market.

Something we radio people bitch about, but then when a station does it.. its not good enough, because what theyre programming isnt our cup of tea.

I'm not saying it's bad at all. I'm glad they're serving a traditionally under-served audience, and not enough stations do that, on either band.

If anything, I know how they feel, being somewhat of an under-served audience myself, in a manner of speaking!

c

KYNO, KNOT and WABF are all independent standalones... and in the case of KNOT and WABf, the audiences are probably a little bit older there.... and in WAB's case, it's bit of a beach./vacation area, so oldies would lend well to it, plus them or their sister station has done some form of oldies for awhile, as i recall from someone in the area.

There's enough of an Indian community in the Bay Area for some chain theaters to run Bollywood movies in addition to Hollywood ones. They're partly in English and partly in Hindi, and the ones I went to were nearly sold out. One was called Raees, about a police detective versus a bootlegger, and another was M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story based on the true story of a guy who grew up to become the captain of the Indian national cricket team, both were really entertaining.

In the Colonies, we call those VU meters---for "volume unit".
PPM and VU are two different things. PPM is a fast-responding peak level reading, while VU is a slower average level reading.

Monitoring a VU meter helps keep a consistent loudness, but will miss peak transients that may cause overmodulation/STL overloading.

Monitoring a PPM helps avoid overmodulation, but will cause music with a high peak-to-average ratio (like Disco) to sound quieter than music which doesn't have a pronounced beat (like Mantovani).

Back
Top Bottom