• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SONGS PLAYED WITH THEIR SUPPORTING SONGS!

N

nightfly61

This is an offshoot of the "aftersong" thread. Some examples were already given over there, like my "Sirius/Eye In the Sky" & "Fallin in & Out of Love"...I'll start this out with ...
"Intruder/Oh Pretty Woman" - Van Halen
"Eruption/You Really Got Me"-Van Halen

An oddball one would be Softcell's "Tainted Love", as TL alone was only like 2:33 long then faded, but the supporting song on the longer version ("Where Did Our Love Go") came AFTER the regular tune & is the version most people are used to hearing.

Tears for Fears, "Head Over Heels" with the next track, whose title I don't remember.
INXS, "Need You Tonight"/"Mediate" (only AAA radio still plays "Mediate")
Steve Miller Band, "Threshold"/"Jet Airliner"
Jackson Browne, "The Load-Out"/"Stay" (back to back on the 45)
Boston, "Foreplay"/"Long Time"
Queen, "We Will Rock You"/"We Are the Champions" (also back to back on 45, but I consider these to be two separate songs, although they are usually played as a medley)
Chicago, "Hard to Say I'm Sorry"/"Get Away"

There were a couple of others in which the second "song" didn't actually have a title, like the "aftersongs" on "Hot Child in the City" by Nick Gilder, and "Release Me" (Wilson Phillips)

Beatles: Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help From My Friends
Led Zeppelin: Heartbreaker/Livin' Lovin Maid
Santana: Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen (the latter was not on the 45)

And, contrary to what every lame-a** disk jockey in the country has done for about 30 years, the Beatles' All You Need is Love and She Loves You are not supposed to be played together! :mad:

KeithE4 said:
Beatles: Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help From My Friends
Led Zeppelin: Heartbreaker/Livin' Lovin Maid
Santana: Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen (the latter was not on the 45)
Definitely the case with these two, because "Sgt. Pepper's" sort of leaves you hanging at the end of that one! (My local top 40 used to play a custom edit of "Sgt. Peppers" and "Sgt. Pepper's Reprise." I liked the way that that sounded, and I thought for a long time that it was that way on the "single," until I found out that there was no such single ever released.)
And, contrary to what every lame-a** disk jockey in the country has done for about 30 years, the Beatles' All You Need is Love and She Loves You are not supposed to be played together! :mad:
I don't see anything wrong with doing that, although if they did that every time they ever played "All You Need is Love," then, yes, it would become quite predictable, but I don't think I ever heard that done.

Journey-Feeling that Way/Anytime
Pink Floyd- Empty Spaces/Young Lust

David Bowie-Ziggy Stardust/Suffragette City

Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In- 5th Dimension
I could have swore there was a version of "Wedding Bell Blues" with the "Wedding March" attached at the beginning. ???

This one was a single, but it was only a B-side: "Teenage Jail" by the Eagles (B-side of "Heartache Tonight"). On the Long Run album, it segues right into the next song, "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks." However, I was disappointed to learn that on the single, it did not. The two songs together were not that long, and I believe that they could have been fit onto one side of the 45.

I think Carly Simon's "Anticipation" had a supporting song attached to the beginning of the album cut also.

nightfly61 said:
I could have swore there was a version of "Wedding Bell Blues" with the "Wedding March" attached at the beginning. ???

Wish I saw this post when it came out....

On a "best of" 5th Dimension LP, their version of "Worst that Could Happen" (made famous by Brooklyn Bridge) segue'd into "Wedding Bell Blues". The "wedding march" at the end of W.t.C.H. was played, then harps galore, into W.B.B.

I kinda like it....makes sense.....

cd

nightfly61 said:
Both of these are supporting songs. They support each other. Neither one is a standalone, unlike all the other examples that we have given here. And since they were both together on the 45, it is unlikely that djs would separate them, as they might do if they were album tracks.

"Tears for Fears' 'Head Over Heels', with the next track whose title I don't remember."

A semi-operatic cut called "Listen". ("Broken" preceeded "HOH" on the record; these are the last three cuts on side 2 of "Songs From the Big Chair".)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom