• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Some Reasons Why Movie Attendance Is Down

M

Mark_Giardina

1. People are sick of sitting through 20 minutes of upcoming previews
2. The price of a movie ticket is too high
3. Most of the movies out today stink
4. People would rather rent or buy a DVD and watch a movie in the comfort of their own home.

<P ID="signature">______________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them".</P>

> 4. People would rather rent or buy a DVD and watch a movie
> in the comfort of their own home.

WHAT?? And miss the chance to buy $8 popcorn and get kicked by the teenage girl thumping her foot on the back of your chair? That along with "blockbusters" like Herbie, Shark Boy, and the 'traveling pants' movie out all at once could explain a bit, too.
>
P.S. In reference to point #1 - The previews are sometimes the best part!!!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Kahn_II on 06/28/05 02:39 PM.</FONT></P>

> 1. People are sick of sitting through 20 minutes of upcoming
> previews

Simple solution. Go reserve your seat and then leave the theatre. When EVERYONE walks into the hallway when the lights dim, maybe the MPAA will get the idea.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> > 4. People would rather rent or buy a DVD and watch a movie
>
> > in the comfort of their own home.
>
> WHAT?? And miss the chance to buy $8 popcorn and get kicked
> by the teenage girl thumping her foot on the back of your
> chair? That along with "blockbusters" like Herbie, Shark
> Boy, and the 'traveling pants' movie out all at once could
> explain a bit, too.
> >
> P.S. In reference to point #1 - The previews are sometimes
> the best part!!!!
>
Hey, if it weren't for kids kicking the seats, I'd be out of a job!
I work at a Cineplex Odeon and one of my duties is to kick kids out (especially in 18A and R movies...)

The summer movie season, even if some of them do suck, brings out the crowds for some reason. I guess it's all the hype that does it.<P ID="signature">______________

Canada TV and College Radio</P>

I have to agree with Mark that the cost of tickets are getting too high for some of us to afford to go to a movie theatre. Cost of refreshments are also rather high. At least small theatre chain in Indiana & Illinois called Kerasotes, they offer free refills on drinks and popcorn, so the cost isn't that bad in that case. At least for me, movies that are released haven't been movies that made me want to go to the theatre.

> 1. People are sick of sitting through 20 minutes of upcoming previews
> 2. The price of a movie ticket is too high
> 3. Most of the movies out today stink
> 4. People would rather rent or buy a DVD and watch a movie in the comfort of their own home.

5. Bring back the neighborhood theatre! These 24-screen mallplexes stink!

6. Movies? These are movies? Too many of them are just high-budget, pi$$-poor remakes of old TV shows. Even worse are the computer-animated cartoon remakes (Scooby Doo, Rocky & Bullwinkle) superimposed with live actors. There's been almost no originality in Hollyweird in at least 10 years.

> I have to agree with Mark that the cost of tickets are
> getting too high for some of us to afford to go to a movie
> theatre. Cost of refreshments are also rather high. At
> least small theatre chain in Indiana & Illinois called
> Kerasotes, they offer free refills on drinks and popcorn, so
> the cost isn't that bad in that case. At least for me,
> movies that are released haven't been movies that made me
> want to go to the theatre.
>
Ever consider that most of the Hollywood stars are liberals when they try to open their yappers about how country shold be run? I know this is OT, but Laura Ingraham, who I heard subbing for John Gambling on WABC this morning had this posted on her website:

http://www.lauraingraham.com/agnost...estinationpage=/pg/jsp/general/liearchive.jsp

Think about that!

Does the 8 dollar popcorn include butter? Some theatres charge extra for buter now.

I do look forward to 8 dollar popcorn, now that, for a limited time the "Becel replacement for butter" is free...Hey? It's a movie theatre after all!...nice to see them being generous about something!

I plan to go see Bewitched, I trust that Nicole K. will do a great immitation of the original witch...or at least get an A plus for mastering the nose twitching. (-:<P ID="signature">______________
"If you never say NO, How much is your YES worth?"
</P>

More Reasons Why Movie Attendance Is Down

> previews

Don't forget 5. The shrinking amount of time between the box office and release to DVD.

I would go to movies more, even with the high cost if it was a first class experience. Between the small screens, surprisingly poor quality prints and and loutish behavior by patrons, it's not very pleasureable. Perhaps many people have done the math as I have:

<u>Box Office Movies</u>
Movie for 4 with food: $60
Movies twice per month: $120 per month

<u>Home Theater</u>
Home Theater: $5,000
Interest rate: 8.0%
Loan Term: 5 years
Monthly payment: $101.38
Unlimited DVD rental Blockbuster Online=$14.99
$116.37 per month

More movies. Better experience. Invite friends for free.<P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</P>

Does YezKnowMovies?

I can't help you out with a discount for this $8 Popcorn, but learn how a 15 Minute Call can save you 15% or More with your Car Insurance. Additionally Save $10 Instantly by not seeing Bewitched?

> I plan to go see Bewitched, I trust that Nicole K. will do a
> great immitation of the original witch...or at least get an
> A plus for mastering the nose twitching. (-:
>

> Ever consider that most of the Hollywood stars are liberals
> when they try to open their yappers about how country shold
> be run? I know this is OT, but Laura Ingraham, who I heard
> subbing for John Gambling on WABC this morning had this
> posted on her website:
>
http://www.lauraingraham.com/agnosticchart;jsessionid=lhzDqui72VNxIY0KstthMA**?charttype=minichart&chartID=25&formatID=1&useMin> iChartID=true&destinationpage=/pg/jsp/general/liearchive.jsp
>
>
> Think about that!
>
More proof that Laura is passed her prime I guess. It's not like thousands of people haven't already expressed that sentiment already...

Sony Pictures Entertainment PAC gives a majority of funds to Republican polititicians:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.asp?strID=C00282038&Cycle=2006

Buy Blu.org shows Sony giving 264,550 to politicans between 2003-2004, 47% Democrat and 53% republicans.

http://www.buyblue.org/detail.php?corpId=171

These corporations are selling this pablum, not the Hollywood Stars. Forget what the Hollywood Mouth is saying- Listen to what the Hollywood Money is saying.

The last time I checked out the movie listings I saw tons of PG and PG-13 films. I think R is getting hard to sell, at least during the summer and States a cracking down on the youngsters getting into the R films. Teenagers are the largest film audience and without them you might as well go straight to video.

Re: More Reasons Why Movie Attendance Is Down

Just about every movie can wait until it hits the second-run place in town.($2.75 as opposed to $8.00). I don't know that attendance isn't down because there really hasn't been much of anything good released lately.

> > 1. People are sick of sitting through 20 minutes of
> upcoming
> > previews
> > 2. The price of a movie ticket is too high
> > 3. Most of the movies out today stink
>
> > in the comfort of their own home.
>
>
> Don't forget 5. The shrinking amount of time between the box
> office and release to DVD.
>
> I would go to movies more, even with the high cost if it was
> a first class experience. Between the small screens,
> surprisingly poor quality prints and and loutish behavior by
> patrons, it's not very pleasureable. Perhaps many people
> have done the math as I have:
>
> Box Office Movies
> Movie for 4 with food: $60
> Movies twice per month: $120 per month
>
> Home Theater
> Home Theater: $5,000
> Interest rate: 8.0%
> Loan Term: 5 years
> Monthly payment: $101.38
> Unlimited DVD rental Blockbuster Online=$14.99
> $116.37 per month
>
> More movies. Better experience. Invite friends for free.
>
<P ID="signature">______________
I'll get back to you when I think of a cute quote</P>

>I don't know that attendance isn't down because there really hasn't been much
> of anything good released lately.

That was my initial response because I thought this was a fairly recent problem. Then I read that this is apparently a longer trend than that. (I think)<P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</P>

> Just about every movie can wait until it hits the second-run
> place in town.($2.75 as opposed to $8.00). I don't know that
> attendance isn't down because there really hasn't been much
> of anything good released lately.

Assuming you have a second-run place in town. Ain't no such thing where I live.

> I would go to movies more, even with the high cost if it was
> a first class experience. Between the small screens,
> surprisingly poor quality prints and and loutish behavior by
> patrons, it's not very pleasureable.

I'm on vacation in Hong Kong right now, and I went to catch a movie with a friend yesterday. The theatre was superb. The seats were sooooo comfy (they were almost like nice armchairs). The place was clean (hell, hardwood-floored for crying out loud), and the patrons were pretty well-behaved. The ticket came to about US$6. Totally worth it.

Then again, pirated DVDs are king in this city. They probably had to make the theatres really nice to actually make people want to go.<P ID="signature">______________
Derek
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.tvvancouver.cjb.net>TV.Vancouver</a>: Covering TV stations in Vancouver, BC</P>

> > 1. People are sick of sitting through 20 minutes of
> upcoming previews
> > 2. The price of a movie ticket is too high
> > 3. Most of the movies out today stink
>
> 5. Bring back the neighborhood theatre! These 24-screen
> mallplexes stink!
>
> 6. Movies? These are movies? Too many of them are just
> high-budget, pi$$-poor remakes of old TV shows. Even worse
> are the computer-animated cartoon remakes (Scooby Doo, Rocky
> & Bullwinkle) superimposed with live actors. There's been
> almost no originality in Hollyweird in at least 10 years.
>

All of our old neighborhood movie theaters in town are now churches, 3 movie theaters put out of business by one 16 screen monster.<P ID="signature">______________
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.stationindex.com/>TV Station List</a></P>

> Does the 8 dollar popcorn include butter? Some theatres
> charge extra for buter now.
>
> I do look forward to 8 dollar popcorn, now that, for a
> limited time the "Becel replacement for butter" is
> free...Hey? It's a movie theatre after all!...nice to see
> them being generous about something!
>
> I plan to go see Bewitched, I trust that Nicole K. will do a
> great immitation of the original witch...or at least get an
> A plus for mastering the nose twitching. (-:
>
With butter, we charge .54 per layer/shot of butter. For the 'Reel Deal' combo, it's $10.70 for 2 layers. But it's a supersize popcorn and a large drink with free refills.

The fact I actually know that kinda scares me a bit.<P ID="signature">______________

Canada TV and College Radio</P>

> previews
>

Here is my experience at the local AMC 24...

Tickets to see a movie after 6 pm are $8.50 a piece. The cost of a medium popcorn is $4 and a small drink is $3. You can get a combo for $9 that has a medium popcorn and a large drink. Thankfully, it is do-it-yourself butter dispenser, so that is a beautiful thing. Let's not forget the 20+ minutes of previews and the preview show before the movie previews with all sorts of local commericals and things.

For the price of the two tickets and the combo, I am looking at $26. For that price, I can wait about 3-6 months and buy the thing on DVD for less than $20 most cases at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

I just recently went to see The Longest Yard, and that was only because I had free passes. Before then, I had (more like forced) to see The Phantom of the Opera twice. Before that, it was The Last Samurai. There just hasn't been anything that has come out that is worth paying that much to see.

Here is my experience at the local one screen oldy goldie movie cinema...

Ticket is $4 for all showings. The cost of a medium popcorn is $1.50 and a medium drink is $1.50. They always load it with butter. Sit down and watch a cartoon (sometimes, I wonder where they dig them up from, but they do show some good ones from time to time like Tom and Jerry), two or three previews, and then the movie.

For the price of two tickets, medium popcorn, and medium drink, I am looking at $11, plus I get a cartoon. The only problem is that the place is wanting to try to have a family friendly enviroment (or at least that is what I am thinking) and it only has one screen, and if a movie is doing good, they will let it run for weeks at a time.

Ultimately, I would rather wait until something comes out on DVD, and then you get all the bonus features. I am still amazed at how soon some things can get to DVD now. ECW One Night Stand was live on Pay-Per-View two weeks ago, and it is already available for sale on DVD.<P ID="signature">______________

Moderator of Charlotte Board</P>

> With butter, we charge .54 per layer/shot of butter. For
> the 'Reel Deal' combo, it's $10.70 for 2 layers. But it's a
> supersize popcorn and a large drink with free refills.
>
> The fact I actually know that kinda scares me a bit.
>
Free refills, huh,...so if the movie is crappy, I can at least step out for a second and get a refill...right?...but then what if the movie is good?<P ID="signature">______________
"If you never say NO, How much is your YES worth?"
</P>

> previews

The theatre experience sucks worse than ever.

I just saw Huitchhikers Guide yesterday, so my answer is fresh:

1) Outrageous prices. Even the former dollar theatres are $3 now!

2) Lousy movies. (This one was good overall, but in some respects inferior to the cheaply-made 1985? British version.)

3) Commercials, much worse than previews. And commercials masquerading as previews!

4) Loud "top hits" with commercials for new CDs accompanying a slide show about celebrity trivia before the commercials start, so you can barely talk even before the previews and commercials start. (Last time I show up at the theatre early!)

5) Excessive volume, to cater to several generations of f***ing idiots who have destroyed their hearing with boom boxes and car stereos that can be heard a block away.

6) There are so many more choices. For example, last weekend I watched Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome (That's Boris Karloff) which I bought for a buck at Wal-Mart. I probably wouldn't like half of what's at the theatres this week as much as I liked that. And the rest certainly aren't worth six bucks.

At least they don't allow smoking any more, but that's not exactly a recent development, is it ;-)?

73s from 954<P ID="signature">______________
Just posted: JULY RADIO NEWS</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom