• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Soft AC/EZ all Christmas

Does anybody know if any station has (within the format) has gone all Christmas. I am soooo tired of the AC stations with their short 100 song play lists and it is only Thanksgiving.

Dial Global's America's Best Music is sprinkling in a handful of holiday songs per hour. They will surely go all-Christmas eventually, as they do each year. DG has an excellent Christmas playlist - in addition to going deeper with the standards artist than most ACs do, they occasionally play songs by contemporary Christian and even smooth jazz artists that most Christmas ACs don't touch.

ChrisInMI said:
DG has an excellent Christmas playlist
Your opinion.

And for the reasons you stated, I despise having to put up with the Christmas music this time of year.

The Christmas songs are currently limited to the first song after the long news break for the stations that take it and all but one of the commercial breaks.

Unfortunately, the first three I heard were bad, leading me to believe I would boycott. Others have been bettter.

"Sarajevo" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra, of course, is bad enough that I will simply turn off the radio if I hear it.

The full title is "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" but that's too much to remember. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" is played on a solo cello, followed by what sounds like an explosion, and then an angry version of "Carol of the Bells" which has made me despise any instrumental version of the song. Toward the end the orchestra is drowned out by screaming rock guitars--and I mean screaming. There is no place for this kind of garbage on America's Best Music.

Hmmmm, much as it's simply your opinion that (a) it's "garbage" (thousands of fans have a vastly different opinion) and (b) has no place there? If the plurality of the audience thinks it has a place based on the research of the management, then as a practical business matter, it has a place.

vchimpanzee said:
ChrisInMI said:
DG has an excellent Christmas playlist
Your opinion.

And for the reasons you stated, I despise having to put up with the Christmas music this time of year.

The Christmas songs are currently limited to the first song after the long news break for the stations that take it and all but one of the commercial breaks.

Unfortunately, the first three I heard were bad, leading me to believe I would boycott. Others have been bettter.

"Sarajevo" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra, of course, is bad enough that I will simply turn off the radio if I hear it.

The full title is "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" but that's too much to remember. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" is played on a solo cello, followed by what sounds like an explosion, and then an angry version of "Carol of the Bells" which has made me despise any instrumental version of the song. Toward the end the orchestra is drowned out by screaming rock guitars--and I mean screaming. There is no place for this kind of garbage on America's Best Music.

I agree totally. I heard that the other day and totally shut off the car radio...it was on local DG affiliate WDEA-1370. Thankfully our local morning host lays off Christmas music until mid-December. But the past couple mornings I just shut off the radio after 9:06 and put on my favorite CDs. I might leave it on in the car for a while, but we have a couple good alternate FMstations that are still non-Christmas so far here in DownEast Maine.

And MY opinion.... There's absolutely nothing bad about ANY of the Xmas offerings DG has played so far. And even if a few of them annoyed me, I certainly wouldn't boycott the service! I also enjoy them more when their just "sprinkled" until mid-December.

RBW said:
And MY opinion.... There's absolutely nothing bad about ANY of the Xmas offerings DG has played so far. And even if a few of them annoyed me, I certainly wouldn't boycott the service! I also enjoy them more when their just "sprinkled" until mid-December.
Most of them are okay. I'm not going to back down on "Sarajevo". It is absolute garbage, at least in this format. And I heard it a second time. The fact is at church on Sunday a teenage girl played "Carol of the Bells" on the piano and I hated it. That's how bad Trans-Siberian Orchestra has made that song. I heard a vocal version this morning on DG--pretty much the same thing. It just wasn't very good.

I recognized "Sarajevo" a second time--this time before the explosions--and didn't hesitate to change stations in the car.

I do sometimes find myself wishing for more Christmas music, but that day will come soon. And then I might regret it.

imhomerjay said:
Hmmmm, much as it's simply your opinion that (a) it's "garbage" (thousands of fans have a vastly different opinion) and (b) has no place there? If the plurality of the audience thinks it has a place based on the research of the management, then as a practical business matter, it has a place.
There's no way this has a place there. According to you, I guess you could just drop Tony Bennett in the middle of Rage Against the Machine, Slipknot and Metallica.

I have yet to hear any Nat King Cole or Andy Williams Christmas music anywhere, even though I've heard both of them doing regular music several times since Christmas music began.

vchimpanzee said:
I have yet to hear any Nat King Cole or Andy Williams Christmas music anywhere, even though I've heard both of them doing regular music several times since Christmas music began.

Nat King Cole's "Oh Tannenbaum" was on local DG affiliate WDEA-1370 at 2:45 PM Et today as I was driving in to work.

Dial Global went all-Christmas over the weekend.

I was ready. On the way home Thursday it was getting dark and all I could really pick up were the AC stations. I just switched back and forth, staying on whichever station had something I liked.

That's all I have to say today because I'm kind of dealing with a crisis. I'm afraid a web site like this which is shutting down will also do away with all the posts, as opposed to just keeping us from posting there. I have to save everything I can.

vchimpanzee said:

I was ready. On the way home Thursday it was getting dark and all I could really pick up were the AC stations. I just switched back and forth, staying on whichever station had something I liked.

That's all I have to say today because I'm kind of dealing with a crisis. I'm afraid a web site like this which is shutting down will also do away with all the posts, as opposed to just keeping us from posting there. I have to save everything I can.

If that's a crisis, life is good.

imhomerjay said:
vchimpanzee said:

If that's a crisis, life is good.
Would you want this site to go away with all your history? Would you want your online friends to be separated?

I had more good luck switching back and forth between ACs while the Dial Global station aired the Panthers who won another on the road! Then they were all doing commercials at once and the first one to go back to music played something I consider terrible. But then I had an idea. I had a button set for a Christian station. I mean a Christian station like these. And they were playing music!

Sometimes I think Dial Global is less traditional than the ACs. The truth is I think they avoid some of the AC-sounding songs, which is good. They just play too many of them while the ACs are playing more of the easy listening songs. When there's so much good music, why play garbage?

I keep forgetting to ask this: it sounds like Karen Carpenter on one version of "Sleigh Ride". A man sings too, and I may have asked this previously. Is that Richard?

vchimpanzee said:
I keep forgetting to ask this: it sounds like Karen Carpenter on one version of "Sleigh Ride". A man sings too, and I may have asked this previously. Is that Richard?

The Carpenters version of Sleigh Ride has male voices... of which I've never confirmed as Richard... but I'm sure it could be.

One song I could do without starts as a very nice instrumental of "Joy to the World", but once Point of Grace starts singing it just turns into garbage. It's a real shame when there's so much good music they could play.

And Dial Global was back to normal yesterday. Not even a gradual move back. It's not right. I wasn't through enjoying the songs. "We Three Kings", "Little Drummer Boy" and "Twelve Days of Christmas" are still legal until January 5. Not to mention all the generic winter songs.

I noticed they were airing messages from those serving in the military. At first I thought this was a local thing but they didn't join the next song in progress. Now that I think of it, there wouldn't have been that many military personnel in such a small signal range.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom