• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So When Did "Viva La Vida" Coldplay Become A Smooth Jazz Song?

Heard this on KJZY today (and it wasn't even a smooth jazz remix) and went "WTF??"......

Isn't "Viva La Vida" and much of Coldplay's music considered along the lines of chill? I don't see it myself, but that might be the correlation with smooth jazz. I think "Viva La Vida" is a great song, but it don't think it would sound appropriate within a smooth jazz format.

passtheword said:
Isn't "Viva La Vida" and much of Coldplay's music considered along the lines of chill? I don't see it myself, but that might be the correlation with smooth jazz. I think "Viva La Vida" is a great song, but it don't think it would sound appropriate within a smooth jazz format.

Coldplay's music isn't even "chill". They're full blown (alternative tinged) pop-rock.

KJZY also played a Latin jazz remix of "Clocks" the day earlier (which just plain sounded weird.) It's like putting a hip-hop beat to a Celine Dion song. Some things don't go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

While I'm open to experimentation, I just don't see Coldplay as anything I'd include in any format labeled "smooth".

Interesting. Looking at the KJZY playlist it seems more like a hybrid of what we usually think of as "smooth jazz" and Music of Your Life-type material, perhaps not unlike the "Timeless Cool" format. Being a fan of both SJ and standards, it's something I'll have to check out.

Bongwater said:
Heard this on KJZY today (and it wasn't even a smooth jazz remix) and went "WTF??"......

Just get an HD radio and listen to KKWF HD2 in Seattle.

I can't get it on line, but judging from other posts it seems to be a good station.

Jimmy128 said:
Bongwater said:

Just get an HD radio and listen to KKWF HD2 in Seattle.

I can't get it on line, but judging from other posts it seems to be a good station.

FYI - KKWF doesn't come in at all in most of Bellingham. Their HD signal is useless beyond south Everett.

Well, it sure is a Carol Handley production......

I'll have to check it out tomorrow.......Thanks for the link....

"Viva La Vida" is not Smooth Jazz, but is arguably no worse of a fit than numerous other tracks that have made the Smooth Jazz chart years ago such as "Fallin'" by Alicia Keys or anything by Celion Dion. Personally, I'd rather hear Coldplay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom