• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So, now we have *2* translators operating "illegally"

It's been known for a while that the 101.1 translator that was being fed by WRKH-HD3 has continued to operate for, what… several months? since iHeart turned off the HD on that station. Now Buddy Tucker Associates has filed a license to cover for their WMOB translator on 95.7 MHz, and it's on the air while WMOB is off. It's airing Wow Radio, which I think is coming from WOWB in Brewton. The 95.7 translator is operating from the WALA-TV tower east of Spanish Fort, and seems to have a fairly decent coverage area. I can't hear it in Foley but it seems to be coming in well in Mobile east of I-65.

I'm not super well versed on translator rules, but I was under the impression that the translator couldn't operate without the parent station being on the air, and being an AM revitalization thing can't change parent station willy-nilly.

It's been known for a while that the 101.1 translator that was being fed by WRKH-HD3 has continued to operate for, what… several months? since iHeart turned off the HD on that station. Now Buddy Tucker Associates has filed a license to cover for their WMOB translator on 95.7 MHz, and it's on the air while WMOB is off. It's airing Wow Radio, which I think is coming from WOWB in Brewton. The 95.7 translator is operating from the WALA-TV tower east of Spanish Fort, and seems to have a fairly decent coverage area. I can't hear it in Foley but it seems to be coming in well in Mobile east of I-65.

I'm not super well versed on translator rules, but I was under the impression that the translator couldn't operate without the parent station being on the air, and being an AM revitalization thing can't change parent station willy-nilly.
No translator, be it FM or AM translator, can originate programming.. the only translator that can stay on up to 24 hours maximum after its parent station goes off is one that would be tied to a class D daytime only AM … all other translators must be shut off when the parent station goes off the air.

Zach, do you know whatever happened with the sale of WMOB and the 95.7 FM translator?

No translator, be it FM or AM translator, can originate programming.. the only translator that can stay on up to 24 hours maximum after its parent station goes off is one that would be tied to a class D daytime only AM … all other translators must be shut off when the parent station goes off the air.

That's what I thought, but wasn't totally sure. The weird thing is, WMOB was on the air not too long ago, so it's not like it can't be put back just to keep things on the up-and-up… It's being coming on for a few days then going silent again up until they filed a resumption of operations on September 15th, but since that came through I haven't heard it on once.

As for the Radio By Grace outlet… not sure what the deal is there, but they actually own the translator so I suppose the responsibility to turn it off rests with them and not iHeart.

Zach, do you know whatever happened with the sale of WMOB and the 95.7 FM translator?

I don't know anything, sorry. Around the time the license transfer was applied for is when I heard WMOB back on the air, but it's gone off since then and stayed off as far as I can tell.

It's been known for a while that the 101.1 translator that was being fed by WRKH-HD3 has continued to operate for, what… several months? since iHeart turned off the HD on that station.

Hey Tom, did you consider that iHeart did not inform Radio By Grace that HD3 was off? What did RBG tell you when you contacted your fellow broadcaster about this violation that lasted several months? I found this link with a simple Google search: https://www.radiobygrace.com/contact-us/

I sent them a message through that contact form a few weeks ago but never heard back. I'll try the e-mail tonight. I don't fault the Radio By Grace people for what's going on, I'm sure they don't know, but iHeart should know better.

As an update to this, after using the e-mail address I did hear back and as Radio_Active said, they weren't aware because iHeart didn't tell them. The translator for 101.1 is off and an STA filed. Looks like WRKH is on an aux facility.

After I replied to thank them for getting back to me, I realized that 99.5 The Jag's translator is actually owned by Radio By Grace as well, so I suppose it's going to be their responsibility to shut it off, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom