• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

singapore radio

bree

Inactive
Inactive User
any comments on it welcome here. one question i have - on 938 live, why do they play music, and why do they sign off at night?

Sorry. I can't answer that.

But I would like to comment on LUSH 99.5. When I visited Singapore, I found that station uniquely different. I admit that I didn't like ALL of the music played but for the most part, I had to stay tuned to it. I couldn't turn it off. Not many stations get my attention but this one did. I like the bass & drum instrumentals and the jazzy stuff like that. That's non-existent in NY terrestrial radio.

I tried to stream it in the U.S. but, at first, it cut in and out and had a low bit rate. The poor audio did no justice for that station. And now it appears to be blocked for legal reasons. I wish they could get past that and get a good, high quality stream available to all who want it.

I visited Singapore over the last couple of years and there were a couple of stations I remember.

98.7 FM, A CHR that sounded very much geared toward the British charts

95 Class FM...seemed like Hot AC

Gold 90 Soft AC

I enjoyed 98.7 most of all.

I asked this in the other thread (HK)....
Does Singapore still have OTA TV broadcasts? I heard something to the effect that, the were all Cable TV now.

Most small countries such as Singapore carry the TV programs of neighboring countries on cable, even if the language is different. I guess the idea is that you might be able to pick up the signal over the air anyway.

Taiwan picks up signals from Mainland China and Japan. The language is the same as Mainland China, even though the two countries aren't friendly. And since Japan once occupied Taiwan, some Taiwanese speak Japanese. You also get international English programming on cable from CNN, BBC, Deutche Welle, etc. I assume the same is true in Singapore, where the official language is English, even though most citizens speak their own ethnic language at home.

I remember seeing a Singapore sitcom called "Life with Lydia" when my U.S. cable system used to carry the Asian cable network AZN. The actors all spoke English, even though Lydia and her family were Chinese. Other people they'd interact with were of various ethnic groups. I guess the premise was a Singapore version of I Love Lucy, with Lydia getting into silly predicaments. I don't think we're going to see Life with Lydia on an American network anytime soon.

Gregg
[email protected]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom