• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sinclair Broadcast Group Radio Stations Available On NextGen TV.

Great, if you have an ATSC 3.0 TV and an Internet connection.
Two stupid questions: Why would an internet connection be necessary if one is equipped for ATSC 3.0 via an antenna? And could I assume that a device (something that used to be called "a radio") be required that's separate from a NextGen TV?

Two stupid questions: Why would an internet connection be necessary if one is equipped for ATSC 3.0 via an antenna? And could I assume that a device (something that used to be called "a radio") be required that's separate from a NextGen TV?
If one wants to take advantage of all the TV features of an ATSC 3.0 TV, one needs an Internet connection too. All they're doing is embedding extra audio packets (53kbps) into the ATSC package. That same thing could be done with ATSC 1.0 now, but who would bother trying to hear it when those same radio broadcasts are already available without buying an expensive new TV?

Now I hear that NexGen is trying to use the audio content as an incentive to get ATS 3.0 receivers into cars, which is even more absurd. The car guys are going to put TV receivers in cars so the occupants can listen to radio. Got it. Right?

Now I hear that NexGen is trying to use the audio content as an incentive to get ATS 3.0 receivers into cars, which is even more absurd. The car guys are going to put TV receivers in cars so the occupants can listen to radio. Got it. Right?
Since nobody, including consumers and even cable companies seem to be interested in this technical boondoggle, they're just scrambling around trying to come up with some sort of magic bullet. Hey, I've got an idea! Let's do radio broadcasts on a digital signal over the air! Get the promotions department to issue a press release..

Interesting idea. Could show song and artist information on screen.

Since this has come out, I really haven't understood what this thing is about from the day this was announced. Especially in Seattle where most of the fm stations are on cable, what's the advantage here? In Portland, I could possibly see an advantage since none of the fm stations here are on the cable system.

Since this has come out, I really haven't understood what this thing is about from the day this was announced. Especially in Seattle where most of the fm stations are on cable, what's the advantage here? In Portland, I could possibly see an advantage since none of the fm stations here are on the cable system.
Answer: If you have an ATSC 3.0 tuner in Seattle, you can also receive the Sinclair radio stations via a separate bit stream. Why would you want to? That is the question. A solution in search of a problem.

It seems (to me at least) that radio on ATSC would be an example of something that might be interesting to mess around with, but would have virtually no practical application in the real world.

It seems (to me at least) that radio on ATSC would be an example of something that might be interesting to mess around with, but would have virtually no practical application in the real world.
How many consumers do you think would actually want to "mess around" with listening to local radio stations via an ATSC 3.0-modulated signal?

How many consumers do you think would actually want to "mess around" with listening to local radio stations via an ATSC 3.0-modulated signal?
I'd bet that consumers might tune in once just to see what kind of content is there, and then never bother to tune in again (hence "messing around" with it once.)

I'd bet that consumers might tune in once just to see what kind of content is there, and then never bother to tune in again (hence "messing around" with it once.)
Why would consumers select an audio stream that they can hear on their clock or car radio? It's not like that's something unique.

The answer to that question from my point of view is probably the majority of users on this board but nobody else, and as I said earlier, it really doesn't make a lot of sense in Seattle when many of the fm stations are already available on cable. Those that listen to KVI or KOMO might enjoy it, but probably already have ways to access that content. Here in Portland though, and from what I understand about many markets, none of the radio stations are on the cable system. While I think the music choice channels do a pretty good job, I'd prefer to listen to a local radio station rather than an iPod I can't control. Since we don't have a radio in the kitchen anymore, the only option I'd have is to either remember to take one out when I go out there or the TV. If pulling up K103 via ATSC3 was as easy as punching in 970 into my remote, I could see a use for this in some markets.

Why would consumers select an audio stream that they can hear on their clock or car radio? It's not like that's something unique.
I look at it the same way that you probably looked at radio on Comcast cable. There are a handful of listeners who might be interested in it, more who might drop by just to see what those channels are for, and many who could not care any less. To be fair, I would say that radio on Comcast served more of a purpose, as I'm sure that there were some who liked receiving radio stations this way in challenging regions. There really is no difference for ATSC though, as this is just another form of offering these stations over the air.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom