• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Shortwave was really booming in from Asia last night

For some reason, I've never DXed shortwave after 11pm here In Hawaii before and last night was a bonanza of stations spanning pretty much the entire band, mostly from China.

One station had the strongest signal I've ever had on either my C Crane Skywave or my Grundig G8 that I used to have.

According to shortwaveschedule.com, this signal was from almost 6000 miles away, as it was the only station broadcasting on that frequency at the time.

Don't know if this was just unusual conditions or maybe it's always like that vary late at night this time of year?

For some reason, I've never DXed shortwave after 11pm here In Hawaii before and last night was a bonanza of stations spanning pretty much the entire band, mostly from China.

One station had the strongest signal I've ever had on either my C Crane Skywave or my Grundig G8 that I used to have.

According to shortwaveschedule.com, this signal was from almost 6000 miles away, as it was the only station broadcasting on that frequency at the time.

Don't know if this was just unusual conditions or maybe it's always like that vary late at night this time of year?

China is a piece of cake of SW.. i hear them all day up and down the band in alaska.

I'm only DXing barefoot, of course.

That's why I got the CC Skywave because it's convenient, something you can hold in the palm of your hand.

I could connect it to a longwire antenna, of course, but that would defeat the purpose of the radio, IMO.

The lower end of the shortwave band lights up at night with stations from the mainland and Cuba.

What surprised me last night was that even the upper part of the band had great reception from China and that part of the band is supposed to be better in the daytime than the nighttime.

There's no place like it for AM at night, as the dial is loaded with stations from the mainland.

I've done a few videos of it as well.

For example, WWL.

California stations such as KFI, KNBR, KGO, KNX are nighttime regulars often with good signals.

Here's KNX.

Back
Top Bottom