• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

September PPM's

Where’s 97.5 in 25-54 I don’t see it in the report
For the Summer 2023 quarter covering June 22-Sept. 13, 2023 (PPM months July-Aug-Sept) -
[https://www.arbitron.com/downloads/Survey_Schedule.pdf],
specifically for Men 25-54, WIP was quite comfotably ahead of The Fanatic in all dayparts:

Mornings: WIP 2nd, WPEN 14th
Middays: WIP 4th, WPEN 15th
Afternoons: WIP 1st (tie), WPEN 12th
Evenings: WIP 10.5 share, WPEN 1.4 share
Prime (Mon-Fri 6AM-7PM): WIP 2nd (8.9), WPEN 14th (2.6)
Total week (Mon-Sun 6AM-Midnight): WIP 2nd (8.8), WPEN 16th (2.1)

I think it would be a fairly safe guess that WMMR was #1 in the Men 25-54 demo - verification needed.

WMGK cracks double-digits again!

KYW more than gains what it lost last month.

WOGL and B101 both continue downward.

What the hell happened to BEN-FM?!

WTDY still beats Q102.

WUMR bops up to a 2.1, not that it matters. (OMG, his blood must really be boiling right now.)

Nielsen Audio Ratings (radio-online.com)
The 3 stations I listen to most when I listen to terrestrial radio are Ben, WMGK and WOGL, the latter being my least favorite of the 3. I want to like WOGL as it’s a heritage station at this point and I think they do pretty well overall but it’s just not that interesting to me. Ben and WMGK’s audio are both spectacular. OGL is soft and flat and I have to crank up the volume to hear it when I switch between stations. Their air personalities are fine; I know when I tune in I’m going to hear some quick tidbit about an upcoming event in between songs as their announcers usually hit the post flawlessly like it was 1985. That said, I prefer listening to Andre Gardner on WMGK for the drive home. “Hitting the post” isn’t his thing and that’s okay because that style of radio isn’t conducive to much of MGK’s format anyway. His album countdowns on Thursdays are extremely well researched and executed and his delivery isn’t forced, unlike the delivery of others I’ve heard on the air.

In conclusion, it’s not surprising to me that Big 98.1 isn’t bringing in Big numbers. I think it’s possible for them to grow and do some interesting things but in its current state it’s cookie cutter to me. Also, they need an audio engineer to come in and figure out what’s wrong with their fidelity.

Their sister station in Detroit, classic hits WOMC, has some of the most wretched sounding audio I've ever heard. Gain is turned up too loud, there is brick wall compression, and at times very brief "hiccups" in the audio are noticeable. This has been going on for many weeks.

I've heard high school and pirate stations with better audio.

Back
Top Bottom