• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

September 2023 Bay Area Radio PPM Ratings

Checked a bit of it today coincidentally, given that it was once my favorite station. Still sounds dead and automated. Most of the music is still bland also- this afternoon they played BOTH “Give it Away” (which I never liked) and “Under the Bridge” (which is OK every now and then, but not every day especially more than 30 years later) by Red Hot Chili Peppers (who have been around since 1983 but I haven’t cared for much, they certainly didn’t get played so much back then). Give it Away was played yesterday morning also. That song was obscenely overplayed when it was brand new, and 30 years later just like many songs of that era it seems like they’ve never stopped playing it.

Also saw Weezer come up 3 times in the past 2 days from an album that’s about 30 years old. They played Just Can’t Get Enough by Depeche Mode (one of my favorite artists) which is over 40 YEARS OLD, but not a single song from their current album. I never heard any songs from the 1940s or 50s on this station in 1987 when I listened to it every chance I got, it didn’t come in dependably where I lived but I did all I could just to hear it then. Now I can get it free and clear anywhere online, but the magic is clearly gone. I know there’s SOME great new music still being made but it sure isn’t getting played too much.

I gave Live 105 a lengthy listen online last evening (which would've been late afternoon Pacific Time).

I was impressed by the music scheduling, brand imaging and even the audio processing. Didn't hear anything jarring. Commercial breaks were kept to reasonable length. The stationality sounded different - and better - than my local Audacy alternative station, WDZH.

I'd be curious to know how the current iteration of the station differs from the 2010s era of the station, which frequently saw poor ratings.
For one, the audio processing is a whole lot better than it was pre-"Dave". For another, there seems to be more of a mix of classics with new tunes introduced very carefully. For yet another, the station's approach doesn't make it sound like it appeals to angry tattooed restaurant workers any more (with apologies to tattooed restaurant workers who aren't angry). The station could also just have used a pause. Chronicle music writers probably wouldn't agree, but who listens to those writers anyway?

Back
Top Bottom