• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seeking Rock-n-Roll Radio DJs of the 1950s, '60s & '70s - book project!

Irishwriter

Inactive
Inactive User
Hi Ya-All! I'm new to the radio-info boards and rather than "on the radio," I'm writing about it! I am currently researching for a book project about the rock-n-roll radio DJs of the '50s, '60s & '70s. While of course, I will talk about the "biggies" -- Wolfman Jack, The Real Don Steele, Cousin Brucie, Shotgun Tom Kelly and so many more -- I am also paying tribute to those wild-n-crazy guys (and any gals?) who helped shape that spectacular radio era, and kept us rockin' but may not have reached super-stardom. As you might imagine, I'm getting contacts for both coasts, but I really need north, south and midwest DJs.

I loved the Real Deal Bob Steele's comments about keeping that era of music alive -- which is what I'm trying to do, too. It's so heartening to hear of the young people "in the groove"! Oh -- which reminds me -- I'm also seeking FANs' memories of their favorite DJs -- back in the day when the late night DJs were our personal shrinks and the daytime jocks REALLY rocked!

AND I would like to find contacts for some rock-n-roll celeb musicians of the day, for quotes about DJs they may have connected with, or were instrumental in getting them air-play.

Oh -- and another thing -- I'm listing oldies rock-n-roll resources in the back of the book -- feel free to suggest a site or source.

It was providence, I'm sure, that lead me to this forum today and I hope you can help me locate and/or learn about (still kickin' or kickin' ass in Rock-n-Roll Heaven) the DJs with personality. I'm beginning interviews this week and will continue interviews and research through about mid-December. If you have any leads or would like more information, please send them in an email; and on request, I'll send you an overview: [email protected].

Thanks in advance -- rock on!

LinDee Rochelle 8)
(PS: For more info about me, as a writer -- so you know this is legit -- www.PenchantForPenning.com)

Irishwriter said:
Hi Ya-All! I'm new to the radio-info boards and rather than "on the radio," I'm writing about it! I am currently researching for a book project about the rock-n-roll radio DJs of the '50s, '60s & '70s. While of course, I will talk about the "biggies" -- Wolfman Jack, The Real Don Steele, Cousin Brucie, Shotgun Tom Kelly and so many more -- I am also paying tribute to those wild-n-crazy guys (and any gals?) who helped shape that spectacular radio era, and kept us rockin' but may not have reached super-stardom. As you might imagine, I'm getting contacts for both coasts, but I really need north, south and midwest DJs.

I loved the Real Deal Bob Steele's comments about keeping that era of music alive -- which is what I'm trying to do, too. It's so heartening to hear of the young people "in the groove"! Oh -- which reminds me -- I'm also seeking FANs' memories of their favorite DJs -- back in the day when the late night DJs were our personal shrinks and the daytime jocks REALLY rocked!

AND I would like to find contacts for some rock-n-roll celeb musicians of the day, for quotes about DJs they may have connected with, or were instrumental in getting them air-play.

Oh -- and another thing -- I'm listing oldies rock-n-roll resources in the back of the book -- feel free to suggest a site or source.

It was providence, I'm sure, that lead me to this forum today and I hope you can help me locate and/or learn about (still kickin' or kickin' ass in Rock-n-Roll Heaven) the DJs with personality. I'm beginning interviews this week and will continue interviews and research through about mid-December. If you have any leads or would like more information, please send them in an email; and on request, I'll send you an overview: [email protected].

Thanks in advance -- rock on!

LinDee Rochelle 8)
(PS: For more info about me, as a writer -- so you know this is legit -- www.PenchantForPenning.com)

Chuck Dunaway was a DJ in Milwaukee back in 1955-56. He was the Alan Freed of Milwaukee, bringing rock & roll radio to that city. He has a webpage: http://www.firststrategy.com/chuckdunaway15.htm. His Milwaukee connection is described on the page in Episodes 10,11 &12. He also has an e-mail address on the webpage.

TheFonz said:
Chuck Dunaway was a DJ in Milwaukee back in 1955-56. He was the Alan Freed of Milwaukee, bringing rock & roll radio to that city. He has a webpage: http://www.firststrategy.com/chuckdunaway15.htm. His Milwaukee connection is described on the page in Episodes 10,11 &12. He also has an e-mail address on the webpage.

Chuck Dunaway was also on the WorldFamous WABC 1960-1961 afternoon drive I believe. In the summer of '61 he was replaced by the Legendary Dan Ingram!

Hey Guys, thanks so much for your DJ information! TheFonz, thank you too, for emailing your note about Chuck to me -- it gets to me much quicker. And SuperRadioFan, that's terrific additional info and the referral to Dan Ingram! I love that I'm getting more "middle America" responses. Truly appreciate the help and if either of you care to share any one-on-one DJ experiences, let me know!

Still seeking quips 'n' quotes!

Rock on ... 8)

You can't mention jocks without the legendary Radio Stations in the same breath.

Like Joe Niagara, Hy Lit and later Don Cannon,Joey Reynolds and John records Landecker at Wibbage, WIBG Radio 99 Philadelphia.

Dan Ingram, Ron Lunde, Scott Muni of WABC.

The great voices in the night on the flamethrower clear channels of Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo and so many more listened to in the East. WKBW, WLS, WCFL, CKLW, WABC, WBT.

Hey amfmsw! Thanks for the tips -- I like that I'm getting multiple referrals on some of the DJs that are well known in certain areas, but not nationwide. (I'm a West Coast kid, so not all popular eastern DJs are familiar to me.) That's what I'm looking for -- like just yesterday at a writers' meeting, someone mentioned Joe Niagra and last week, I got Hy Lit. And you mentioned them too, which means they were popular with the fans and/or stood out as an interesting coworker -- I will be providing fan and general comments as fillers throughout the book.

And I am excited that I was contacted last week by Joey Reynolds' booking producer (and sidekick), Myra; and I'm interviewing him this afternoon. ;D

So -- if any of you have specific memories you'd like to share about working with, or simply listening to, particular DJs, please feel free to post, or send in an email, [email protected]. Even if you "young'uns" in radio now, were inspired by a DJ of the lates '50s, '60s, or '70s, I want to hear those stories too.

amfmsw--you also gave me Don Cannon, which I didn't have yet, along with others -- thank you! And you mentioned the "flamethrower" channels -- since I'm technically not "in" radio -- may I assume that description applies to powerful stations?

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm following up on every one!

Rock on! 8)

Irish, if you haven't already, go to the Philadelphia board.... Hy's son Sam Lit is a regular poster there and can give you everything, I mean, everything you need to know about Hy Lit, and to a lesser extent, Joe Niagra. Hy Lit was my all time favorite DJ I listened to growing up.

Bruce Bradley (WBZ) and Arnie Ginsburg were famous in Boston, Dick Biondi was and still is famous in Chicago, Joey Reynolds was on WKBW Buffalo (still on WOR NEw York I think doing talk).

On a side note, I presume you are from and/or still live on The Emerald Island? I want you to know my wife and I vacationed in Ireland in June '06 and it was the best vacation of our entire lives. We look forward to revisiting there!! When we arrived in Dublin at the end of May, they just had 3 weeks of rain. We arrived for our 11 day stay and enjoyed unbelievably great -- I mean -- spectacular weather, temps in the 70s and 80s F with ZERO rain!! We were told that span of super weather was very very rare. Walked ALL over Dublin (miles and miles), toured Wicklow Mountains, went to Kilkenny Castle, went to Cats Laugh show (very very funny improv show), went to Kinsale, Dingle peninsula, and back to Dublin. Can't wait to go again!! 8)

Having grown up in the Pittsburgh area, I listened to the Top Ten DJs in the early fifties - Clark Race on KDKA, Jay Michael on WCAE, Barry Kaye on WJAS... But my days of listening to Doris Day and Perry Como were over when I heard the new music - that different and exciting stuff called Rhythm and Blues!

The big stations wouldn't touch the Midnighters, the Clovers, Big Joe Turner, Billy Ward and the Dominoes, and the rest until many years later. If you wanted to hear R&B, you had to fish around on the AM dial to find lowly, underpowered WHOD in Homestead, PA and listen to Porky Chedwick, the Boss Hoss, the Platter-pushin' Papa, the Daddio of the Raddio!

Check out his story on this great website http://www.recordsbymail.com/porkyChedwick.php. You'll find a well-researched and equally well-written narrative about Porky. While you're there, browse through the Archives for similar stories of the DJs and artists from the Days of the Oldies.

I wish you success!

8)

Hey Ragtop, thanks for the note! Great info and I'll check out the website reference on Porky. Sounds like he was quite the character. Exactly the stuff I'm looking for.

Feel free to post or send any other fun memories my way! ::)

You're welcome, Irish... my brother tells me that Porky still does guest shots once a week or so on one of the Pittsburgh stations, and he sounds just like he used to sound, and he plays the same music he used to play...

Ain't that great?

;)

Porky sounds like quite the character -- and from a listener's POV, I think that's one of the things missing from today's radio. But then, everything is different now; which is precisely why I'm writing this book! There are a few documentaries out there that focus on the historical events and significant stories / people of the era, but I'm including guys in my book that the average person on the other side of the country never heard of.

"Back then" (can't believe I am my grandmother!) we were generally only familiar with the radio DJs in our city or as far as we could receive the signal, unless a radio event or personality made national news publications, or ended up on tv -- which served as our "new" national link to other parts of the country.

So I'm bringing stories about the DJs like Porky in Pittsburgh and Joey Reynolds of New York to the West Coast, and the antics of Shotgun Tom Kelly of San Diego/L.A. and William F. Williams of San Bernardino (CA) to the East Coast radio fans. And I'm having too much fun doing it!

It's actually quite amazing to learn how many are still rockin' -- in one form or another! 8)

Cheers to Wednesday's Hump Day!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom